CGN3ACR Missing a lot of settings

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

CGN3ACR Missing a lot of settings

Just got the CGN3ACR modem.
I'm not able to found how to enable Wireless Guest neither how to change the name and password of this.

The DHCP Reservation table seems to be limited to 10 entries where it should be unlimited

No place to adjust the Time for the modem device

Also if I set the modem in Bridge mode my download speed goes from 300 to 42 Mbs (my secondary modem can do 300-450 Mbs)

Also no button to check firewire update.

The help documentation is missing and lacking of information.

That's it for now.

Any help would be reaaly appreciated.

Thanks

***Edited Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CGN3ACR Missing a lot of settings

Unfortunately, what the device is capable of overall vs what is enabled can be very different.

It all comes down to WHAT the provider (in this case rogers) then allows of those settings.. they can enable/disable what settings the regular users are allowed, and some settings which are ONLY on the advanced end.

The wireless guest network.. i THINK is only available to set up via the USB setup key. (and the problem is that a user who DOESNT want the guest who uses the USB key will get it as well).  I think you can get a rogers tech support rep to do it as well.

To change the time... look under ADMIN, then time setting
While you cant change a specific time manually, you can change it to the right time zones, etc to get the right time that your in.

There is no way to do a manual firmware update/check.  Its all pushed from the BACK end from rogers.

It should currently be on 4.2.4.5.

The DHCP reservation, and most ENTRY screens (like the port forwarding) are limited to 9-10 entries.

(you can always set your IP addresses manually per device)

But all in all.. that is the reason that MOST people than used bridge mode.
People have sucessfully bridged that unit without problems.. so we need to figure out what is up with yours.

A ) what router are you using with it? (make/model)

B ) the cable/connection between it and your CGN3ACR.  What type of cable? What color light is the port on the back on the CGN3ACR?

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi,

Under Admin Tab there is no Time Setting.

The secondary modem is CISCO E4200.

The cable used to connect the CISCO to CGN3ACR is yellow and it is the provided one with the CGN3ACR  modem.

And yes the light is yellow and not green which I think it should be.

Thank you

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The firmware version that Gdkitty indicated, 4.2.4.5 is for the CGN3.  The CGN3ACR uses a different version and has a different version number, which I am not sure of at the present time.  Maybe someone who is running a CGN3ACR for at least a week or two can indicate what version they have loaded.

The CGN3ACR is capable of running multiple wireless networks, unfortunately, you will have to call tech support to set them up.  The online instructions don't match the user presentation, at least they didn't when I had a look a short time ago.  Personal opinion, using a third party router makes more sense if you want to run guest networks. 

The Bridge speed is an interesting issue.  You should be seeing the same download / upload rates for Gateway and Bride modes of operation.  The question is, is your linksys router slowing that rate down.  There have been other cases with Linksys routers where the router or its firmware version have presented problems.  So, its a process of elimination to determine what the problem is. 

The first step is to test the download / upload rate between the CGN3ACR and a pc / laptop when the CGN3ACR is running in Gateway mode.  Run a speedtest with two ethernet cables so that you know that both cables are ok.  In that configuration, the connected port LED at the back of the CGN3ACR should be amber, denoting a 1 Gb/s interconnect rate between the CGN3ACR and the pc or laptop.  Green indicates a 10 / 100 Mb/s connection.  On the Linksys router those light colours will be reversed, which also appears to be the industry standard.  With adequate signal levels and signal to noise ratios on the modem's RG-6 cable, you should see 300+ Mb/s down, 20 to 22 Mb/s up on a speedtest using the Rogers speedcheck or the speedtest.net Toronto Telus server. 

In that same physical configuration, flip the CGN3ACR into Bridge mode.  After the CGN3ACR completes its reboot and the pc picks up an IP address, rerun the speedtest.  The results should be the same as before.  If not, then there is an issue with the CGN3ACR.  Time to swap it out for another one. 

Assuming now that you see the same result as before, and you know that you have two good cables on hand, install the linksys router in place of the pc, and connect the pc to the router.  Run yet another set of speedtests. If you don't end up with the same wired rates as before, then the linksys router is bottlenecking the throughput for some reason, and the question now is why is that happening?  This has been seen recently and the solution was to load the latest linksys firmware, replacing DD-WRT in the process. 

The other consideration is that when anyone is running data rates over 100 Mb/s, they have to be aware that functions such as QOS, Traffic Monitoring and many others require processing of some type in order to do something to, or with the data prior to its transmission via wired port or via wireless.  This applies to new routers on the market now as well.  The choice ends up as following:  run the router for speed, without using many of the functions on the router, or, run the router for its functionality, accepting the fact that those function selections will result in a drop in the throughput rate. 

So, have a go at stepping through a few tests, look at the end results and see if you can determine at what point you see a throughput drop.  Let us know if you need further assistance.

I've Been Around

Have the same problem with my new CGN3ACSMR Version:4.4.8.14 that I picked up a couple of days ago.

I couldn't install the modem with the USB, tech support was able to set it up over the phone.

I later realized was missing setting, called and tech support recommended doing a factory reboot

as the modem cannot be manually updated. Haven't had the time to do that yet. May have to exchange

my new modem??? 

Will update when I figure this out....

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What setting are you looking for?

it may be one, that is NOT accessible by the user on the unit 😞

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi,

Not able to change Guest account name/password and make it enabled/disabled

Not able to change the time

Not able to get single port forwarding (got to used port range forwarding)

Limited (10) IP reservation

Limited Managed Devices (20) in Security/Device Filter

Remote desktop not consistant/working from the external network

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1)  Guest network, while it CAN be set up on the unit.. is only able to be set up via the USB stick, or by rogers.. for whatever reason we dont have access to that menu
2)  That is something that some have notices.  The CGN3 can, this one for some reason cant.  At this time, not doable.
3) Will come back and edit to confirm.. but it SHOULD be the same as the CGN3 i beleive.  For single port, you just do the range (so for port 80, you do 80-80).  (CONFIRMED)

4 & 5) Yup.  Its a limiation of the unit 😞  (at least with this firmware, etc)

6) This is hard to say.. i dont use RDP to my home, i use things like logmein/teamviewer.. which generally dont require port forwarding, etc.  BUT have never had any port forwarding issues with drops, etc.. i stream music from my home PC regularily across an HTTP port to work all the time.

These units, while OK routing wise.. are still pretty BASIC.  Really more designed for basic internet users.

Overall if people are wanting MORE functionality, they are best to BRIGE the unit and use their own 3rd party router which has much more capabilities.

I Plan to Stick Around

I can add something to the list. IP release option which is available on CGN3 but not on ACR. It's a deal breaker for me, because I don't want to use another wi-fi router to fake the NIC's MAC when I need to change the IP. And the only reason I want to change it is because the node I'm connected to is clearly overloaded, which has resulted in ping increase from 20ms to 67 in some cases, comparably to my older cisco N gateway (which was great in comparison). I'm sure rogers can realse the IP if they want to, thru their backend, but why would I want to call and ask, if I used to be able to do it myself?!

Overall, ACR's .12 firmware is slow, bugged and below basic. It's clearly a rushed product (well, Rogers is late anyway, so what's the point? Bell released their AC modem during the summer of 2014, and it beats the living crap out of Rogers' offering regardless of how you look at it).

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Regarding the firmware being buggy - these 24x8 modems still seem to be on the (b)leading edge. There aren't many companies that have these to market as Rogers is ahead of the curve in deploying these and offering 250Mbps service (very few US cable companies offer service this fast as they haven't deployed 24x8 modems yet). Bell may offer AC modems but what is the download speed that goes along with that? Probably a lot less than 250Mbps (which actually tests out to 320 Mbps)