CGN3AC 2.4MHz maxes out at 145 Mbps

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

CGN3AC 2.4MHz maxes out at 145 Mbps

Hello

I've set up my CGN3AC as ".n" only on the 2.4GHz band but I don't see anywhere to be able to pick 40MHz channels?

As a result, I'm maxing out at 145Mbps eventhough my client is a 3x3 .n capable. Any suggestions?

As an aside, the modem/router combo has worked fairly well so far. It has hiccups here and there like stopping some wifi clients from surfing but generally been more reliable as I expected.

I even tested a Netgear X6 R8000 and the .ac signal at distance was somehow worse than the Hitron's despite the 6 menacing, external antennas (although not all 6 are driving a single band...).

****Edit Labels****

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CGN3AC 2.4MHz maxes out at 145 Mbps

Any setting that you don't see or have access to will be accessible by tech support.  Just a matter of calling them to make whatever change you are looking for. It should be found in WIRELESS.... BASIC SETTINGS..... Channel Bandwidth.  Fwiw, the Netgear router should provide much better wifi performance than the Hitron.  Having said that, take a read thru my post on this page regarding Cut Through Forwarding, which is found on Asus and Netgear routers.  The Hitron modems do not support 802.11ac Beamforming which can give you possibly a 3 dB increase in received signal power and a move down one or two rows in the Modulation and Coding Index.  That can make a significant positive difference in the final delivered wifi data rates.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/265...

Look at msg #8 of 8.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@payam81 wrote:

Hello

I've set up my CGN3AC as ".n" only on the 2.4GHz band but I don't see anywhere to be able to pick 40MHz channels?

As a result, I'm maxing out at 145Mbps eventhough my client is a 3x3 .n capable. Any suggestions?

As an aside, the modem/router combo has worked fairly well so far. It has hiccups here and there like stopping some wifi clients from surfing but generally been more reliable as I expected.

I even tested a Netgear X6 R8000 and the .ac signal at distance was somehow worse than the Hitron's despite the 6 menacing, external antennas (although not all 6 are driving a single band...).

Okay, I'm confused here:

1) If your client is '3x3 802.11n'-capable... that's over 5GHz. I'm guessing 3x3 is either an Intel 5300/6300, or something Broadcom in an Apple product. The Intel 5300/6300, out of a desire to be neighbourly, do not support 40MHz channels on 2.4GHz. I don't know if the Apple stuff does...

2) In my view, 40MHz channels on 2.4GHz are essentially academic anyways unless you are living in a very low-density environment.

3) 802.11ac is 5GHz only; are you comparing with 5GHz performance on the Hitron?

4) Are you running separate SSIDs for 2.4/5GHz? Unfortunately in my experience that is more or less required with residential-grade gear...

I'm Here A Lot

@Datalink wrote:

Any setting that you don't see or have access to will be accessible by tech support.  Just a matter of calling them to make whatever change you are looking for. It should be found in WIRELESS.... BASIC SETTINGS..... Channel Bandwidth.  Fwiw, the Netgear router should provide much better wifi performance than the Hitron.  Having said that, take a read thru my post on this page regarding Cut Through Forwarding, which is found on Asus and Netgear routers.  The Hitron modems do not support 802.11ac Beamforming which can give you possibly a 3 dB increase in received signal power and a move down one or two rows in the Modulation and Coding Index.  That can make a significant positive difference in the final delivered wifi data rates.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/265...

Look at msg #8 of 8.

There is no option for 2.4 GHz. bandwith selection, which VivienM is bang on. I simply "forgot" .n 3x3 is over 5 GHz.

Good point re: Beamforming but I was bewildered when I was getting 350Mbps one room over on the X6 R8000 with occasional drops to ~280Mbps. Hitron is giving me a solid 350Mbps at the same loction. Now, I understand that is nowhere near the "actual" bandwith the router can  provide, and you're right, the X6 R8000 probably can pump in/out more data than the Hitron but at the end, I just couldn't justify around $300 for marginally better performance and/or range.

I guess I was really expecting the worst when I sat the CGNM/CGN3AC as modem + router but it's actually worked decently enough with fairly decent performance. Routing does leave a lot to desire such as broken UPNP to being with and the X6 R8000 twin 5 GHz radios are fantastic and work seamless with Smart Connect but in a house with 6-7 clients, it probably will not make much difference.

I'm Here A Lot

@VivienM wrote:

Okay, I'm confused here:

1) If your client is '3x3 802.11n'-capable... that's over 5GHz. I'm guessing 3x3 is either an Intel 5300/6300, or something Broadcom in an Apple product. The Intel 5300/6300, out of a desire to be neighbourly, do not support 40MHz channels on 2.4GHz. I don't know if the Apple stuff does...

2) In my view, 40MHz channels on 2.4GHz are essentially academic anyways unless you are living in a very low-density environment.

3) 802.11ac is 5GHz only; are you comparing with 5GHz performance on the Hitron?

4) Are you running separate SSIDs for 2.4/5GHz? Unfortunately in my experience that is more or less required with residential-grade gear...

You were right on. The 3x3 would only support 40MHz on the 5GHz band which I've dedicated to my .ac devices.

My comparison was regarding the 5 GHz .ac performance of Hitron vs 5 GHz .ac performance of the X6 R8000. In my settings the resulsts were either same or marginally worse with the Netgear. I didn't run any actual throughput tests which could have painted a different picture but just compared the connection speeds.

Yup, I'm intentionally running separate SSIDs so that I can separate my .n and .ac devices clearly.

Thanks for your help.

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 in conversation