CGN3AC 100U Router keeps losing the wireless connection

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CGN3AC U100 Router keeps losing the wireless connection

Have you tried loading inSSIDer to determine if the wifi network completely shuts down or powers down to an unusable level?  The modem should remain upright so that it can remain within its normal operating temperature range.

I Plan to Stick Around

Didn't get a chance to use that, its going to be a pain to go back to unbridged mode. But I tried the wifi on 4 devices. laptop, desktop, 2 phones. Each of which showed no rogers network. All of these devices were very close to the gateway where I would typically get full bars.
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @j2pc 

Sorry to hear about the troublesSmiley Sad

Very odd issue, spoke to a few people and we haven't heard of any similar cases with the CGN3ACR.

I would have assumed a defective modem, but you have swapped out the modem which makes things even more odd.

Only other assumptions is some sort of Interference causing the network to drop. Just an assumption.

To clarify is this the 3rd Rocket Modem which you are experiencing the same issue?

Hopefully we can get to bottom of this for you.

RogersAsif

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yep, this is a headscratcher.  Only other thing I can think of is the power adapter.  Whenever you change modems, have you changed the adapter as well?  See if the current one is warm or possibly hot to the touch. If its running hot, it should be disconnected immediately and replaced.  These don't go bad very often, but when they do, its tough to figure it out sometimes.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes this is the third one. Third one was replaced by technician to see if it helps. The wired connection is solid on 2 computers with all 3 of them. The wireless lasts about 5-10 minutes before shutting off which then requires a reset every time with all 3 of them.

The 2.4ghz and 5ghz light on the device which constantly flickers during normal use goes off completely after the 5-10 minutes of use. The wireless connection then disconnects and the ssid is no longer visible at that point. The wired works perfectly fine at this point.

The adapter was changed each time with each new device.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have you tried disconnecting the wired pc's and/or switches from the modem and running just the wireless?  I keep thinking that the usual thing that temporarily causes any device to fail is a heating problem of some type.  With that in mind, I would disconnect any wired device just to reduce the power output on the modem.  If you look at the back of the modem, are all of the connected port LEDs amber, indicating a 1 Gb/s connected rate, or are there any that are green, indicating a 10/100 Mb/s connection rate?  Of course that is when the devices are connected and running.

Is the modem powerd from the wall electrical socket, or do you use a power bar of any type to power your equipment?

I Plan to Stick Around

Ok based on the info especially power related, I had a powerline adapter plugged into a different outlet in the same room so I can have a more stable connection for an upstairs desktop. I pulled it out and so far its looking good.

I'll have a much better idea by tomorrow to see if it is still up and running but so far so good.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You might have some sort of a crazy ground loop, possibly some type of short to ground, or worse yet, short to the 120 volt hot side of the circuit when the powerline adapter is plugged in.  That might indicate some type of internal short or fault within the adapter.  In theory, I think that the adapter is probably transformer coupled and filtered so that the 120 volt side is completely isolated from the network system, but you can't overlook the possibility of some internal problem causing a short between the line voltage and the network side of the adapter.  If disconnecting it solves the issue, its probably time to throw it out, or return it under warranty, if its still in the warranty period.  Do you happen to have a 120 Volt AC outlet tester such as the following that you can use to check the room sockets:

http://www.lowes.ca/test-meters-equipment/ideal-analog-voltage-detector-meter_g1200243.html

If not, it might be an idea to pick one up and check the sockets in question, and possbily more sockets around the house.

I Plan to Stick Around

The wireless stopped working. It lasted a little bit longer but went out in the same way. Looks like powerline is not the issue. The house is only a few years old and I have not encountered any issue from any appliances or powerful PCs.

The wired is still working

Smiley Sad

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, so that was with all devices disconnected at the modem, correct?  Just the modem up and running with wireless only in operation?  There is something going on, so its probably just a matter of eliminating items, one by one.  Do you happen to have a volt meter handy that can be used for checking the socket voltage?