CGN3AC 100U Router keeps losing the wireless connection

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

CGN3AC 100U Router keeps losing the wireless connection

I switched to 100U 100mbps and replaced the older hitron express gateway to this hitron rocket speed CGN3ACSMR model. The internet runs fine on wired, but loses connection to wireless both 2.4 and 5 ghz. This happens after the wireless works for a bit then within an hour it loses connection.

The 2 wireless lights on the device 2.4 and 5 stop blinking and go black. Everything else is solid color including the @ and the wired connection still works with internet.

Also I replaced this box to see if it would work with another one with the same model and it still has the same problem. The older model had no issue like this where the wireless would stop working.

I even tried to leave the factory settings and use the same password and ssid but still the same problem.

Can someone please help or if someone has experienced similar issues.

***edited labels***

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CGN3AC U100 Router keeps losing the wireless connection

Also one other thing if I go to 192.168.0.1 in the status it shows that both 2.4 and 5 frequencies are in service even though there is no wireless light on the device. I have Hardware Version 1A
Software Version 4.4.8.13
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I wonder if you have somehow managed to find an undocumented feature ( Aka: bug) in the CGN3AC, where the front Wifi LEDs go dark, but maybe the networks keep running?  The only way to really tell if the wireless transmitters have stopped working is to use a wireless monitoring program such as inSSIDer.  Load that on a laptop, preferably 2.4 and 5 Ghz capable, and see if in fact the transmitters have shut down or perhaps running at a reduced power level for some reason.  When you bring up the network display, you should see your networks, in graphical form and in the network list.  The graphical display will show you if your networks are running, and if there are any other routers running nearby causing interference issues for your networks.  This version does not do 802.11ac as it is the last freebie version available.  There is a new one out that displays the 802.11ac channels that are running, and you don't have to have a laptop capable of running 802.11ac networks, as the newer program reads the transmit header data to determine the transmit mode.  For $20 U.S. I recommend spending the money, especially if you do happen to use 802.11ac networks.  Is your modem sitting in a place where it has adequate air circulation?  I'm just wondering of the possibility of it overheating for some reason.

Last freebie version:  http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Version 4:  http://www.inssider.com/inssider4/

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

OK so after changing that device twice I was able to get a service technician to come in he said he just dealt with the same problem with someone else. He told me not to touch any of the settings. And I even told him to replace the gateway again. So he plugged it in, everything worked, signal is good and now he has left.

It has stopped working again after 10-15 mins. I have never had this issue before.

Air circulation is good, room is cool, it was in the same place as the old gateway I used to have and sits on hardwood floor with nothing around it.

This is so frustrating, every time I have upgraded rogers TV (nextbox 3.0) and now this gateway it seems with every new device there is a problem.

Can someone help me at least for the short term and help me setup a bridged connection. I have a D-Link DIR 655 already from many years ago and would like to at least have a wireless option.

I went to Residential Gateway Function and disabled it at 192.168.0.1 and connected a lan cable from one of the ethernet ports to the internet ethernet port of the cable and nothing happens. The IP of the Dlink is also 192.168.0.1.....I cannot access that after I disable the Residential Gateway Function and have the dlink connected. I would like to set it up but is there something I am missing or maybe I can configure the IP address?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

After the Hitron reboots into Bridge mode, connect the 655 with the Hitron's bottom port and reboot the 655.  The 655 should be able to pick up the IP address, and yes, you can still set the 655 address to something else other than 192.165.0.1.   You might actually find it easier to reboot the 655 without it connected to the modem, log into it, set all the parameters including the LAN IP address that you want to use, save the parameters and then reconnect and reboot.  After the reboot, it should work as advertised, except for the fact the wireless rates probably will be low compared to what you are expecting.  The 655 is an old router, that now has three versions out from what I remember.   Maybe the wifi speeds have increased with each version, don't know. Smiley Indifferent

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Oh thanks I was missing to reset my Dlink router (probably old settings saved). I really hope they can fix this issue and that this is all a temporary setup.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When you are using the Hitron wireless, are you running both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks simultaneously, and, are you running more than one network in the 5 Ghz band?  If you do use both bands simultaneously, I'd try running just one, either the 2.4 or 5 Ghz network to see if you end up with the same failure point.   The CGN3ACR is rated for concurrent network operation, so I'm surprised that you are seeing these failures.  And, this is the first case of its type that I've seen reported in the forum.  Do both networks have distinct network names as well?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

2.4 and 5 had their own ssid...when I left it at factory settings or when I changed the name it would still cause the same problem. This is the only device running in the 5 ghz range in my house which only had the rogers cable running through it. I'll try single band and see if that helps.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just a quick question.. you say there is nothing near it, etc..

Which way is it? On it side? or standing upright?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Single band 2.4ghz enabled and 5ghz disabled did not resolve the issue. It kept the wireless running for under 10 minutes and then the ssid dissapeared from the list of networks on my laptop. The 2.4ghz light went off completely from the gateway (5ghz was off correctly from the beginning).

I have tried both vertical and horizontal for the gateway but same results.

Switched back to Dlink and everything running well (maybe not the highest speed possible but at least stable)

If rogers tech is watching then please fix my issue.