CGN3 vs Rocket modem WiFi signal strength

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CGN3 vs Rocket modem WiFi signal strength

That's great advice, however I was using the original cgn3 for over a year without any problems. My search for bigger and better Internet with the newest modem backfired on me .I will just call stores to see if anyone has any in stock. I just wasn't sure if I needed a open ticket from technical support to swap modems. Thanks to both for your replies!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you go back to a CGN3 let us know how it works out.  I'll be interested in whether or not you see an improvement in wifi performance with the CGN3.

I Plan to Stick Around

Sounds like maybe your new modem could be set to a busy wifi channel compared to your older one?

I have 'WiFi Analyzer' on my smartphone (Android) and can easily walk around the house and yard and see which wifi channels are strongest in both 2.4 and 5G. 

However like many people I still found the CGN3 lacking in signal strength. I could only get downloads of about 1-2 mbps when just walking into the next room even if no one else was sharing the channel. I finally bought a Netgear AC1900 - the best $170 I've spent.

Now even with the kids on gaming consoles and streaming videos on their laptops, I can still stream Netflix in HD on my wireless TV with never a resolution drop. With the CGN3 it used to choke.

I run the CGN3 in bridge mode only and with the Netgear router I get 75 mbps virtually everywhere in the house (3 stories). And I haven't had to reboot anything for the last 3 months whereas with the CGN3 I would have to reset it weekly.

Good luck!

I Plan to Stick Around

Isn't the auto channel mode supposed to find the best channel? That's what I leave mine on.
I Plan to Stick Around

You would think so but when I was using the CGN3 wireless at 2.4 it always selected channel 6. When I used the Wifi Analyzer I could see so were 4 of my neighbors. Now with the Netgear I manually switched it to 11 as now there is only two of us on it. At 5G I'm on a channel something around 143 and I'm the only one on that channel.

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

Has anybody even got the new CGN3 firmware yet and tested out ping/jitter  ? If I'm not mistaken datalink said it has been released

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Looks like there has been a firmware update, but, there is no difference in the latency from the previous version.  I'm still waiting to see the results of a wired ping test, but I don't think that will make any difference.  So, for the time being, the CGN3ACSMR is still the modem to use if you do any online gaming.  The CGN3 does work, but, you will take a small hit on the latency.  It might not be enough to make a huge difference, but its something you have to keep in mind.

Edit:  ok, just had a look at a wired ping test to the CGN3.  Essentially no difference from before, so, version 4.2.4.6 does not address the latency in the CGN3.

I Plan to Stick Around

I replaced my CGN3ACSMR with another one,same model and my WiFi signal is awesome again. Perhaps my first one had a bad antenna or something.
I Plan to Stick Around

My CGN3 modem is in my TV room, which is in one corner of the house on the first floor. My bedroom is one floor up and on the other side of the house, and the signal strength there is very poor, to put it mildly. I'm trying to figure out what to do. Would upgrading to CGN3ACR help? Or should I just move the modem? 

I Plan to Stick Around

Try getting the trial firmware for your modem . Among the Chromecast issue signal strength was also significantly improved.