CGN3 vs Rocket modem WiFi signal strength

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CGN3 vs Rocket modem WiFi signal strength

Nope on both counts.  The latency issue is a chipset issue, for which neither Hitron nor Rogers is responsible for.  That has been resolved by a firmware update in the case of the CGN3ACSMR.  The CGN3 and CGN3ACR are still waiting for the same updates.  I doubt that you will ever see a technical synopsis of what the actual cause is or was.  I suspect that both Hitron and Rogers are under some form of limited release agreement which prevents them from releasing specific details.  There are numerous posts that show what the effect is of the latency, and of the connect / disconnect issue that was a recent problem with the CGN3ACSMR.  As I indicated earlier, these have been resolved. 

From user feedback in a couple of threads, the update for the CGN3ACSMR has had positive results for:

P4 Party Chat
League of Legends
BF4
Crossfire
Heroes of the storm
Hearthstone

twitch.tv streams - improved bandwidth and reduced latency observed
Teamviewer
World of Warcraft
FFXIV
Diablo 3
Elderscrolls Online
Destiny
csgo
Xbox One- advanced Network diagnosis - open-cone NAT. Battlefield, played many full games with no hiccups.

Then NHL and Fifa 15, no connection issues
VPN connection

VOIP devices as well:  I've seen comments in a couple of threads but haven't had time to go back and find the specifics.

Its on my list of things to do...

Fwiw, if you look at the 24 x 8 modems out in use today, Hitron's and Cisco DPC-3848s, they all have latency problems.  Those modems are in use by Rogers, Shaw and Teksavvy.  The CGN3ACSMR is the first one to have that issue resolved.  Have a look at my posts if you're interested in the ping times to the CNG3ACSMR and Cisco DPC-3848.  There are two posts with ping times shown:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30126389-Is-Rogers-offering-Cisco-dpc-3848-yet

I Plan to Stick Around

Ok thanks that info is good to know.Rogers wants to charge me $2 extra per month for the Rocket modem as I got a package deal that only included the Advanced Wireless modem at no extra charge. So looks like I might have to bite the bullet and get it. If the CGN3 has poorly designed/flawed chip sets, a firmware upgrade might not fix it. 

BTW, those ping times are from people actually pinging the IP interface for the modem management. Probably not the most reliable test. A better test is to ping through the device to something more stable like the Rogers DNS server. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I hear what you are saying about pinging the modem interface, but, it is a usefull guage of how this modem behaves in comparison to what you normally see with other routers.  There is a drop in the ping times when you ping an external address as well.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi everyone-

I currently have the Advanced WIFI Modem...

Currently, my configuration at home is a Macbook, IBM Laptop with Windows 7, 2 IPADs, a few wifi phones and a wireless printer...  I am in the process of getting either a Wireless Apple Tower Time Capsule 2TB (which is also a router) or a Seagate  wirelesss 2TB drive (no router). I am leaning towards the Capsule.. With that in mind, what Rogers modem (Advanced wifi, Rocket or ?) should I go with and if I go with the Time Capsule, would you make this the Router? Any feedback is appreciated. thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While the wireless network drives are good overall (i run a few WD ones).

In your case, you may be best to go with the Time Capsule..

Just for the case, that the wireless, etc in the time capsule, as well as the other features, etc, would likely be better quality that what the built in modems rogers provides.

I would get the ROCKET, as its the newest.. and has some of the most newest firmware released to it.
Then put it in BRIDGE MODE, with your time capusle doing all routing functions.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I recently upgraded my cgn3 to the cgn3acsmr and the WiFi on it is terrible. The signal on my previous cgn3 was incredible even reaching the backyard last summer .I am planning on returning it and going back to the cgn3 will I just be able to walk into a rogers store and ask them to swap it out?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Assuming they have stock, yes.

Do you know which wireless you were connecting to? The 2.4ghz or the 5?
(do you have them named the same?)

The 5ghz, while stronger and less interfearance.. does not go quite as far..

I Plan to Stick Around

The 2.4ghz band is the one we connect to. The previous model cgn3 could reach every inch of the house (single floor with basement) and even beyond to the backyard. Now my daughter can't even connect in her bedroom. The modem is in the same exact location too.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Before you swap modems, here is some food for thought.  Load inSSIDer on your laptop, which is a wifi monitoring application. inSSIDer will monitor both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks that can be detected by your laptop. Have a look to see what you're competing with in both bands.  In a suburban area, the 2.4 Ghz band is usually pretty crowded and tough to work in, so, I'm not surprised that you're having problems.  Usually the 5 Ghz band is less crowded and easier to find a clear channel.  Use channel 149 or higher as the allowable power output is higher, therefore the received signal level and signal to noise ratios at the laptop or other device is higher as are the resulting data rates.  After you have a look at the display, you might be able to determine if there is any 2.4 Ghz channel that is clear enough that it might work with the present modem.  It might just be a matter of bad luck that the CGN3ACSMR appears to have worse wifi performance. All it takes is for one of your neighbors to have brought home a modem or router which is now competing with yours for a clear channel.  Never know unless you have a look, using something such as inSSIDer.  The program link below is for the last freebie version.  A new version is out now that will handle 802.11ac networks in the 5 Ghz band, and which will work on a 802.11n laptop.  The new version will read the broadcast management frames and display the 802.11ac networks that are running in the 5 Ghz band.  Its worth the $20 U.S. to buy, so that you can see all of the networks that are nearby.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

My usual advice is to consider buying a good router, and run the modem in Bridge mode.  At the current time, the CGN3ACSMR has the best latency performance of any 24 channel modem in Canada from what I can determine.  If you or your kids game online, that might be an important consideration.  So, if you decide to go down the router path, buy one with external antenna and gigabit WAN and LAN ports.  The combination of external antenna and beamforming which may be available on the router can make a considerable difference in wifi performance.  There are other benefits such as having complete control over all of the router settings and parameters vice the current situation with some available thru the modem user interface and the rest only accessible to tech support.  So, give inSSIDer a go first and see what you can determine, and then go from there.  Fwiw....