CGN3 vs Rocket modem WiFi signal strength

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

CGN3 vs Rocket modem WiFi signal strength

I am upgrading my wireless package and am about to hand in my older CGN2 modem. I have a choice of either the 'advanced Wifi' CGN3 or the Rocket modem. My main requirement is wireless coverage as I have the current modem on the main floor and the signal has been weak upstairs. I've had to buy a wireless range extender to get coverage.

Anyone have any positive/negative experience with signal strength?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: CGN3 vs Rocket modem WiFi signal strength

Hello, @Kpare

Thank you for your post.  WiFi signal strength is relative to the router and many local factors like the structure of the house, EMIs (Electromagnetic Interferences) etc.

I would suggest going with Rocket  WiFi modem (CGN3ACSMR) as it has the dual band support with AC WiFi technology enabled. 

Community - please chime in with your expertise, thank you allSmiley Happy

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the response. There is still differences in WiFi routers that make some better than others in the same environment. That is the scope of my question. Considering I will have the same walls and intereference regardless of WiFi router, which has better wireless signal strength?

Based on the model # you posted it leads me to beleive the Rocket WiFi is the same as the Advanced WiFi accept for the addition of AC feature which I don't need as all my nodes are Wireless-N. 

Hello, @Kpare

You are right, both Advanced WiFi(CGN3) and Rocket WiFi(CGN3ACSMR) are essentially the same with the exception of AC technology.

Opting Rocket WiFi over Advanced WiFi has the advantage of future proofing. I am assuming you will be switching to an Ignite package which includes modem rental so I would go with Rocket WiFi modem, hope this helps.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The 2.4 and 5 Ghz 802.11n performance for the wifi will be the same for both modems.  The CGN3ACSMR can provide better 5 Ghz performance with 802.11ac, but from what I've seen of the CGNV4 user manual, the 802.11ac mode locks out N based devices.  Maybe someone can confirm that for me by looking at the Wireless Mode setting for the CGN3ACSMR.  If its the same as indicated in the CGNV4 manual, then the choice for the wireless mode is 802.11a, 11n, 11b/g/n  or 11ac.  Now that doesn't make sense as everything else that I've looked at is 802.11a/n/ac capable.  B and G modes don't come into the picture for 5 Ghz operation from what I've seen. 

The CGN3ACSMR will also provide better 2.4 Ghz operation simply due to the co-existence mechanisms which allow it to run 40 Mhz wide channels if that is possible considering the interference from other routrers.  That should however allow the modem to run 2.4 Ghz wireless devices at their max wifi data rates, considering the distance to the modem, signal levels and signal to noise ratios at both ends of the transmission.  The CGN3 doesn't do that.  It locks down to the data rate of the slowest device on the network when you are running multiple devices on the network. 

The other item to consider is the fact that all Hitron CGN3 series modems have or had issues with latency.  The CGN3ACSMR, until the latest firmware release also had connect / disconnect problems with online games, VOIP devices and VPNs.  Those two problems have been solved for the CGN3ACSMR in the firmware release and it is very stable.  There are still some people who run into issues with it and replacing it with the CGN3 solves those issues, albeit with added latency.  It takes 48 hours to update the CGN3ACSMR after it goes active on the network, so for those first 48 hours, don't consider doing anything that is latency intolerant or cannot tolerate connect / disconnect occurrences.  After the firmware upgrade you will probably be satisfied with its performance. 

So, whats the best solution?  The CGN3ACSMR, bridged so that it operates as a modem only, with your own router doing everything else.  A router with external antenna and gigabit WAN and LAN ports will offer much better wifi performance and access to the settings that you need to run your games and devices.  I'm sure there are others who will say the same.

I'm an Advisor

@Kpare wrote:

I am upgrading my wireless package and am about to hand in my older CGN2 modem. I have a choice of either the 'advanced Wifi' CGN3 or the Rocket modem. My main requirement is wireless coverage as I have the current modem on the main floor and the signal has been weak upstairs. I've had to buy a wireless range extender to get coverage.

Anyone have any positive/negative experience with signal strength?

***Edited Labels***

I think @Datalink covered just about everything. The CGN3-family modems are better in terms of wireless performance than the CGN2, but they're still not fantastic...

My recommendation: get the newer modem (if only because it seems like there is more development effort on the firmware), then get a good third-party router (most people here like the Asus RT-AC68U) (and yes, get an 802.11ac router even if your clients are currently 802.11n; even assuming high-end 802.11n routers are still available, you might as well get 802.11ac and future proof) and run the modem in bridge mode. Then throw your 'wireless range extender' into Best Buy's electronic waste recycling box...

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, that answers my question Smiley Happy

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes I understand a separate router such as the Asus RT-AC68U would provide better wireless signal strength. However my question was which of the Rogers modems was better, and the answer is they are both the same.

If I do get a new router (I have a great little Juniper SRX but it has a fan and I hear it all the time when I'm in the room) I'll definitely consider the Asus. That would mean I wouldn't use the wireless features in the Rogers provided modem and thus it still would not matter which one I get as either one I would only be bridging - so it's just a bump on the wire. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Actually it does matter as the latency issue affects the operation of all CGN3 series modems no matter if they run in Gateway or Bridge mode.  For now, with the firmware update, the CGN3ACSMR is the best choice as the latency issue is resolved for both operating modes.  At some point those changes will be issued for the CGN3 and CGN3ACR as well.

I Plan to Stick Around

Interesting. If there is added latency in bridged mode from one modem compared to the other then it is probably something to do with the broadband connection each establishes with the Rogers CMTS. 

Has there ever been a technical synposis posted about this issue/difference?