CGN3 keeps rebooting itself

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CGN3 keeps rebooting itself

@Datalink chart posted HERE .

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Geezup, there's nothing in the signal levels to indicate a problem such as what you're experiencing.  The upstream levels are at the top of their normal range, but still well within specs.  The downstream levels are fine as are the signal to noise ratios.

Only thing I can think of is a ongoing cable and/or connector failure.  That happens too fast to catch with the signal levels.  The modems reset and operate until the next fault.  This will keep repeating until the problem source finally fails.  So, faults like this cause a lot of frustration as their difficult to isolate.  Only solution, personal opinion, is to change out the external cable and install new connectors.  That should resolve the issue, but, it might take a couple of tech visits to get their.  

There's no good reason to lose both internet and home phone service at the same time other than a cable and/or connector failure.  Call tech support, ask the CSR to run a signal check on the modem, not that I expect anything to show up, and ensure that he or she understands that you're seeing fast drops in service for both the internet modem and Home Phone modem as well.  Given that circumstance, I would expect the CSR to arrange for a tech visit at your convenience.  If necessary, put tech support on speed dial and don't hesitate to use it.  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

When you do a factory reset by pressing the button in the back of the modem does it need to reinstall the firmware which causes the modem to reset a few times after a few hours? Seems like every evening my modem is resetting and I am trying to figure out why.

Highlighted

Hello, @Geezup.

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. The modem may look up for the latest firmware while coming back online; however, it should not reboot every evening. The CGN3 modem should be running 4.5.8.37T12 firmware version. Has the problem returned from last year?

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

its been rebooting ever since. A tech came out and it was fine for a few weeks but its back to doing what it does.

Highlighted

Good morning @Geezup!

If your modem is stuck in a pattern of rebooting on its own, I can help. I know an intermittent connection can be frustrating so please work with us.

Please PM us @CommunityHelps and we will assist further. If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

My Hitron modem keep rebooting every few days and I don’t know why? How can I fix it?

Highlighted

Hey @Hamada1983!

Seeing your modem reboot every few days is certainly indicative of an issue. Thanks for letting us know! Have you reached out to technical support yet to have your modem signals reviewed? If your familiar with how to access the modem's settings you can copy and past the signal level results from the WAN Status page and paste them for the community here. Just a couple of quick questions if I may as we'll need quite a bit more information to be helpful:

1. Does the modem return to online status on it's own when this happens? Or do you have to reboot the modem yourself?
  2. Do you recall the light pattern on the modem when the connection drops? Does it change?
  3. Are you losing connection with a wired device to the modem? Or just over WiFi?
  4. Do you have your own router connected? Or are you just using the Rogers modem.
  5. Have you had a technician visit recently to address the drop in signal? 

If the modem is dropping connection completely and rebooting it sounds like there may be an RF issue, so one or more channels to your modem may be out of spec. I definitely recommend reaching out to support at your earliest convenience if you haven't yet. You can reach them via phone, Live Chat, twitter or Facebook. Information for each can be found here. Alternatively you can reach out to us @CommunityHelps. For more information on our PM system you can check out our blog.

@RogersAndy

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I have Rogers modem and it reboots itself every few days. I did not call Technician yet. It disconnects on wifi and Ethernet mode.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Modem rebooting while streaming videos on an Android device

Hi gang,

Just checking if anyone has encountered this problem, out of all my wired computers and wireless devices only when I stream a video from my Samsung S9 device it triggers the modem to reboot. Does not do that when I stream from any other devices. I have the CGN3 just the rocket modem. I could probably make a video if someone else has this problem. It's the weirdest thing. I checked my mibs from the modem firmware and they are good.

-Phil