CGN3 internal antenna gain?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

CGN3 internal antenna gain?

Does anyone know what the antenna gain is on the Hitron CGN3? I can't find any spec on this anywhere.

My dad has one of these units (and it's pretty poor for wireless) and I'm thinking of getting him a Meraki Z1, which I can also manage remotely, and the Z1 has 4x internal dipole antennas (gain: 3 dBi @ 2.4 GHz, 4 dBi @ 5 GHz).

I'd like to compare, at least theoretically, and find out if it would do better.   I'll then bridge the CGN3 and use the Z1 as the main router/AP.

Thanks in advance!

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersCilio
Retired Moderator

Re: CGN3 internal antenna gain?

Hello @Unlocked,

Good question, unfortunately I'm not able to find specs regarding the antennea gain from Hitrons site.  Hopefully one of our resident experts might be able to chime in and assist us @Gdkitty @Datalink.  

I was able to locate this PDF, hopefully its of some assistance to you. 

http://www.hitron-americas.com/assets/CGN3-datasheet2.pdf

Regards,

RogersCilio

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, this is the same PDF I had found and looked through but that info isn't provided, as you also found out.

If you find this info, I'm sure other users on here would appreciate it. There should not be any reason not to be able to get this information.

Thank you

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

To find that answer you have to look at the submissions by Hitron to the US FCC for the FCC approval process.  Here is the link for documents for the Hitron CGNM, which is essentially the same modem used by Shaw and Rogers. 

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&called...

I'm going to assume here that you might be talking about the CGN3ACSMR which should be the CGNM listed in the FCC database.  Rogers uses three Hitron modems, the CGN3, CGN3ACR, and CGN3ACSMR.  All of these should have similar antenna gain characteristics. 

From the first Test Report 5.8 listed in the documents page 5 of 26 comes the following data for the 6 antenna that the Hitron modems contain.  Three of those antenna are used for the 2.4 Ghz band and the remaining three for the 5 Ghz band:

2.4 Ghz:  Antenna gain of 3.1, 3.4, 4.48 dB.   Note these are different antenna

5 Ghz:  Antenna gain of 3.1, 2.8, 2.4 dB for channels 36 to 48

Antenna gain of 3.9, 5.2, 5.6 dB for channels 149 to 165

I did not review the other test docs or go searching thru the fcc docs for the CGN3 version as the FCC names don't line up exactly with the Rogers designation, so it takes a little reading between the lines to understand what model is what, as listed in the FCC database.

So, the antenna gain figures are pretty comparable to the gain figures of most router antenna, unless you're looking at high gain antenna.  However, I suspect that the placement of the antenna on the motherboard results in a great deal of shielding.  Wifi reception from the Hitron modems is one of the chief complaints against it.  The other being the lack of user controls.  The basic controls are present, but, if you have any requirements beyond the basics, you have to get tech support to set those as only tech support has access to them, or, you bite the bullet and buy a good router, which is the usual advice on the forum.  Personally speaking I never recommend a router with internal antenna.  My viewpoint is to get the antenna out into free space where its not hindered by the components mounted on the motherboard.  Fwiw .......

I Plan to Stick Around

How awesome is this! Thanks for the answer, this is pretty much on par with the appliance I want to use which gives me much more functionality!  Thanks again, good job, I'm sure others will appreciate it!