CGN3 and Apple Airport Extreme (AEBS) problem - help!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

CGN3 and Apple Airport Extreme (AEBS) problem - help!

Hello all,

I've been using a CGN3 in bridge mode connected to a 2nd generation Apple Airport Extreme router with the Ignite 100 package for several months with no problems at all.

I recently bought a used 5th generation Apple Airport Extreme to replace the 2nd generation and for the life of me can't get it to work properly.

I started with a factory reset of the new Airport, and confirmed the latest software update was in place. I removed the old Airport and plugged in the New. I was immediately prompted to upgrade using the same settings which I did. Setup completed and then presented me with a message indicating problems getting an IP from the CGN3

I rebooted the CGN3 - still no IP. I then rebooted the Airport - finally, an IP though after 2-3 minutes of waiting. I did some speed tests on the connection (speedtest.net) and surprised to see both download/upload speeds throttled to just under 10mbps! 

I then did a complete factory reset on the new Airport and setup as new - exact same problem.

Out of interest, I did a factory reset on the old Airport and set as new - no problems at all. Picked up the IP from the CGN3 in seconds and speedtest was showing ~150mbps down/11mbps up.

What is going on here? I've checked every setting I can think of - doesn't make sense. Why would the new(er) router have compatibility issues with the CGN3? 

Suggestions?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CGN3 and Apple Airport Extreme (AEBS) problem - help!

Try this just for interests sake:  CGN3 - 2nd Gen - 5th Gen......all wired.  The purpose is to determine if a 5th generation router has some type of issue picking up an IP address, whether its from a CGN3 or anything else.  Its possible that your particular 5th gen router has some issue that requires returning it to the store.  Or, it would confirm that there is some issue between the CGN3 and the 5th gen device.  If it works every time you restart it in that configuration that would confirm some issue between the CGN3 and a 5th gen router.

I Plan to Stick Around

What you are describing is pretty straightforward. Are you doing anything special from the ethernet connectivity between modem and Airport Extreme (i.e. running a long ethernet cable from one device to another). I would try another ethernet cable between the modem and the Airport Extreme if possible. The reason is your 5th gen Airport is gigabit ethernet and will try to negotiate a gigabit link to the modem. It could be the cable you are using is able to do 100mbps, but not good enough for gigabit. If the devices are next to each other with a 2 foot cable it's probably not an issue but it wouldn't hurt to try another cable.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unless i misses something in the initial post...

It says.. rebooted the CGN3.  BUT.. nothing of factory reseting the CGN3?

That would be my first thing to try.  I know even with the older pre-gateway modems.. that they would lock themselves to the MAC address of the router plugged into them.  A simple reset would only reset the connection outwards, it would still be sort of locked to that mac address.
That you needed to do a factory reset to get it to detect a new router.

That the old router worked.. when it was plugged back in, was that it was still locked to that one.

With the CGN3, i am guessing its much the same?

So i would do a factory reset on the CGN3.. which will return it to gateway mode... then plug into it, and put it back into bridge mode.  Remove your device itself then right away.   And let the new router be the first thing to connect to it.

I'm Here A Lot

@Datalink wrote:

Try this just for interests sake:  CGN3 - 2nd Gen - 5th Gen......all wired.  The purpose is to determine if a 5th generation router has some type of issue picking up an IP address, whether its from a CGN3 or anything else.  Its possible that your particular 5th gen router has some issue that requires returning it to the store.  Or, it would confirm that there is some issue between the CGN3 and the 5th gen device.  If it works every time you restart it in that configuration that would confirm some issue between the CGN3 and a 5th gen router.

Thanks for the suggestion - actually tried that last night but forgot to mention. I setup the 5th gen in bridge mode as an extended network. Connection hardwired from an available port on the 2nd gen to the WAN port on the 5th gen. I followed Apple's guidelines for creating a roaming network to the letter. 

I had no problem getting the 5th gen pickup an IP from the 2nd gen but that was it - I couldn't get any internet connectivity through the wireless client on the 5th gen. Airport utility also revealed a problem connecting to the Internet on the 5th gen.

I'm Here A Lot

@Aelph wrote:

What you are describing is pretty straightforward. Are you doing anything special from the ethernet connectivity between modem and Airport Extreme (i.e. running a long ethernet cable from one device to another). I would try another ethernet cable between the modem and the Airport Extreme if possible. The reason is your 5th gen Airport is gigabit ethernet and will try to negotiate a gigabit link to the modem. It could be the cable you are using is able to do 100mbps, but not good enough for gigabit. If the devices are next to each other with a 2 foot cable it's probably not an issue but it wouldn't hurt to try another cable.

Thanks Aelph. The run from the cable modem to router is about 25ft as it is on the main floor with the modem in the basement. Cabling is all high quality 5e and has been in place for 7 years over multiple routers without a single problem until now.

To rule out any length/quality problems, I did bring the 5th gen router to the basement and connected via a short 2ft cat-6 cable but had the same results unfortunately.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

@Gdkitty wrote:

That would be my first thing to try.  I know even with the older pre-gateway modems.. that they would lock themselves to the MAC address of the router plugged into them.  A simple reset would only reset the connection outwards, it would still be sort of locked to that mac address.

That the old router worked.. when it was plugged back in, was that it was still locked to that one.

So i would do a factory reset on the CGN3.. which will return it to gateway mode... then plug into it, and put it back into bridge mode.  Remove your device itself then right away.   And let the new router be the first thing to connect to it.

Gdkitty, good suggestion. I'll give that a go tonight and report back.

I'm Here A Lot

@southpaw wrote:

@Datalink wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion - actually tried that last night but forgot to mention. I setup the 5th gen in bridge mode as an extended network. Connection hardwired from an available port on the 2nd gen to the WAN port on the 5th gen. I followed Apple's guidelines for creating a roaming network to the letter. 

I had no problem getting the 5th gen pickup an IP from the 2nd gen but that was it - I couldn't get any internet connectivity through the wireless client on the 5th gen. Airport utility also revealed a problem connecting to the Internet on the 5th gen.

Tried again - unsuccessful getting the 5th gen to operate in bridge mode either downstream from the 2nd gen or in bridge mode using the CGN3 as DHCP server (residential gateway on)

I'm Here A Lot

@southpaw wrote:

@Gdkitty wrote:

I tried this several times - operated in a 'double NAT' scenario for awhile to see if there were any settings I could find. Nothing I did made a difference. Still slow to latch on to IP and download/upload speeds capped under 10mbps.

I turned residential gateway off, the 5th gen picked up the IP, though not remotely as fast as the 2nd gen (~2 min vs. 5 seconds) and still the same crippling performance.

I did a factory restore on the 5th gen again, no difference. I even loaded the exact same config from the fully functioning 2nd gen and the same results.

I'm convinced there is some form of hardware problem on this unit

I've Been Around

Has anyone solved this yet?  I am having similar issues with a 5th generation time capsule.  I have to reset it every couple days and the 2.4ghz is awfully slow.  I'd like to use the time capsule for its backup capabilities and I can run Unblock Us through it but it's getting silly.

Thanks,

Doug

@southpaw wrote:

@southpaw wrote:

@Gdkitty wrote:

I tried this several times - operated in a 'double NAT' scenario for awhile to see if there were any settings I could find. Nothing I did made a difference. Still slow to latch on to IP and download/upload speeds capped under 10mbps.

I turned residential gateway off, the 5th gen picked up the IP, though not remotely as fast as the 2nd gen (~2 min vs. 5 seconds) and still the same crippling performance.

I did a factory restore on the 5th gen again, no difference. I even loaded the exact same config from the fully functioning 2nd gen and the same results.

I'm convinced there is some form of hardware problem on this unit