CGN3 - Using both 2.4ghz and 5ghz WiFi don't work.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

CGN3 - Using both 2.4ghz and 5ghz WiFi don't work.

Now, before you ask why I use both, it's because not every device at home works with 5g, I only use 5g because my house is large Smiley Happy and I can be working at my bedroom, you know what I mean. Smiley Tongue

So each time when I try to connect to my 5ghz network, it fails to connect. I tried a factory reset, but still, no. Anyone knows the solution?

***edited labels***

nkgers | remember to leave a KUDO Smiley Very Happy
Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CGN3 - Using both 2.4ghz and 5ghz WiFi don't work.

I suspect these days that users probably have more 2.4 Ghz devices than 5 Ghz devices, so, running both networks is fairly common.  Potentially stupid question, but are both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz network LEDs lit on the front of the CGN3? Just checking, because I've seen factory resets completed without the wireless networks starting as they should.  If they are not running after the reset, do as many factory resets as necessary to get them running. 

I wouldn't call the settings tab for the 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks intuitive.  Under Wireless.....Basic Settings...each network has its own tab that you have to use in order to turn the network on, and to give each network an SSID (network name).  Once they are turned on and named, you then have to go to Wireless.....Wps & Security....and then select each network individually on the right hand side (blue links) to give each network the passphrase.  The only reason that I can see for not connecting with the 5 Ghz network is either its not running, or possibly the passphrase has not been set and its still using the Rogers default.  The same passphrase can probably be used for both, although that isn't a good practice for network security, but, if you set the 2.4 Ghz passphrase, from what I remember, it doesn't automatically set the 5 Ghz passphrase to the same one.  Each one has to be set individually.

Here is a link to the user manual for the CGN3 in case you need it:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/modem.manuals/CGN3_UG_v1.1_2013-08-16.pdf

Page 21 contains the LED states for the wireless networks and page 75 contains the WPS & Security page showing the two network setting link on the right hand side in blue.  

If you don't already have a network monitoring application, here is a link to inSSIDer, which you can use to check on the wireless networks in and around your home: 

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Also, this usually goes without saying, but I've seen it happen:

Make sure you don't name the SSID the same for your two radios. This can cause unwanted confusion and frequent disconnects!

L.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, that is a very good point.  Give them separate names and passphrases.  Using the same name allows confusion as you can't tell from looking at the windows network selection popup which network is 2.4 Ghz and which is 5 Ghz. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks everyoone, but hate to say it, it couden't have serpperate passwords :/

I Plan to Stick Around

Am back, tried *SSID* to *SSID*-5G. Nope. I need name ideas Smiley Very Happy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I highly agree with what LYuan is saying.

While many devices are often smart enough (or are suposed to be), to determin which is the best one to use.. thats not always the case.

Best rule of thumb.. is to name them differently.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

??  Is that for the CGN3 or for the device.  I have different SSIDs and different passphrases on my CGN3.  Use a random name or phrase for the SSID, something like "Taj Mahal" for one and "My Castle" for the other.  Use something that can't be used to identify you personally, or your house.  You could use completely random characters, which is what I do.  The SSID is 32 characters in length, so you can fill that space completely with random characters.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What is the exact error your getting?

Just 'can not connect'

or that the password is wrong, etc.. as an incorrect password, will usually give a different response and just not connect at all (vs a failed connect).

Only other thing i can think... what MODES is the 5g set to?

I Plan to Stick Around

It's just a cannot connect.

Let me login to  192.168.0.1..... okay the mode is 802.11a/n mixed