CGN3 - Sporadic random disconnect/reconnects

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: CGN3 - Sporadic random disconnect/reconnects

I'm currently using a power bar/surge protector to power the modem. I don't know if it's possible to replace the coaxial cable connecting the modem to the coaxial outlet/splitter, I live in an apartment/condo btw, if that matters. I tried opening the coaxial outlet before, all I see is a cable running from a silver looking device which could be what you are describing as the splitter but I have no clue if it can be replace or not, I might need to call a technician for that.

I've Been Here Awhile

Here is my DOCSIS WAN stats:

upstream.PNGdownstream.PNG

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm on the Ignite 100 service. The wifi transmitters on the modem stops working on a regular basis. On the current modem (which was an exchange for the original) the 5G dies out every day, and the 2.4 less frequently. I've talked to Rogers service, exhanged the modem, and had an onsite visit where the tech put a pad in the incoming cable line, but it hasn't changed anything.

Any thoughts on this?

Fred

I've Been Here Awhile

My issue here is Wifi. The SSID for the affected service disappears - the light over the 5 or 2.4 either goes solid or dark.

I reboot by unplugging power, wait 10 mins, plug power in. 90% of the time this fixes it - for a day. Then it does it again. 

Fred 

Hello, @431145.

Thank you for posting the DOCSIS WAN stats; based on the stats, is your service with a TPIA? The CGN3 modem should have 24 channels for Downstream; there are 5 channels missing unless you haven't captured the entire table. However, the missing of 5 channels may not be the root cause for the random disconnects. 

Have you tried bypassing the power bar and plugging in the modem directly the wall outlet? @Datalink has discussed the potential interferences with the power bars; please check out one of his previous response

Keep us posted. 

@fmattock - Thank you for joining and posting your concern in the Rogers Community Forums. The WiFi networks not working on a regular basis can surely be inconvenient. When the WiFi stops working, does the wired connection still works? For the optimal WiFi performance and not to overheat the modem, it should be in a vertical/standing position. Is your modem placed in a vertical position with enough clearance around it?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

All my connections are wireless. So I don't know if the wired still works. Usually though, only one of the Wifi channels cacks out, and the other continues to work.

My modem is standing on top of a shelf and is in the vertical position.

Thanks

Fred

Hello @fmattock,

Thanks for providing us with more information on this matter!

When you say only one of the channels cuts out do you mean either the 2.4G or the 5G but not both at the same time? If the respective light on the modem is not illuminated when the connection cuts out it could be a hardware issue but considering you just recently swapped out your device and had a technician out that may not be the case.

I am interested in the firmware version that the new modem you have is running as its possible it could be outdated which is causing the Wi-Fi networks to drop periodically. If it is outdated, we can arrange to have the newest firmware loaded and try this out again.

We look forward to your response!

RogersTony

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@fmattock we have seen this type of problem in the past, where either the ethernet network, or the 2.4 or 5 Ghz network stops working.  In those cases, the actual problem has been with a network adapter that is running on the affected network.  The failure appears to be a modem network failure, but the root causes were failing ethernet or wifi adapters in various devices.  If you keep getting the same failure, I would suspect either a network name or SSID with a special character in either character string, or an adapter problem.  

In the case of the wifi network, you could change the network name and SSID to make them simple character strings.  Keep them long and random, but, simplify the assortment of characters that are used.  

Next up is to track down the offending device.  That's the painful part, isolating each device.  Start with a single connected device on a wifi network and run that device for a length of time where you would usually see a failure.  When you're reached that typical failure point in time or beyond, add the next device and run the same time frame.  At some point in time, you should be able to determine the source of the problem.  This can take some time to determine.  There was a previous case where the failure would happen at the same time each day.  Turns out the customers son would come home from school, fire up his computer and after some amount of time, the network card was warm/hot enough that it started to fail, taking the connected network down with it.  Replace the adapter and the problem disappeared.  

So, not saying that's the case here, but, keep an open mind.  This might be another strange adapter failure case. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the reply.

The failure on this modem is usually the 5GHz. The last one that I replaced it was the 2.4GHz. Almost never at the same time.

The modem wifi lights are usually On and Blinking on the operating channel, and On or Off but never blinking on the failed channel.

I went into the console - it says the software version is 4.5.8.27 . Is that the firmware number?

I appreciate the help.

Fred

What's New
UFC 231: Holloway vs. Ortega Live
LIVE: Saturday December 8, 2018 10PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of Dec 6 at 4pm ET.
UFC 231: Countdown Promo

UFC returns to Toronto on December 8th with a championship double-header as undisputed featherweight champion Max Holloway defends his title against unbeaten Brian Ortega. Also, a new UFC women's flyweight champion will be crowned when Valentina Shevchenko takes on former strawweight queen Joanna Jedrzejczyk for the vacant title. Saturday, December 8, live on Sportsnet Pay-Per-View from Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Canada.

Topic Stats