CGN3 - Sporadic random disconnect/reconnects

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: CGN3 - Sporadic random disconnect/reconnects

On modem number 4 at the moment. This has to be the worst modem I've ever used. Rogers, you call this acceptable? 4 modems in a month all with the same issue, they randomly disconnect every few hours. Not sure what to do at this point. Anyone else having issues with this sorry excuse for a modem?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are a number of people who have been mentioning similar issues on here..

BUT, there is a larger group of us on here who do have it as well... and DO NOT have the issue either.

So i dont think its just MODEMs fault itself.. its a combination of modem + something causing it. (Weither signal.. devices how connecting, etc).

I think MOST (not all, but most) that are fine and dont have it, are often BRIDGED.
That may help fix your issue. 

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm not in bridged mode but it's worth noting that I've tried it and it does the same thing in bridged mode. Is there any way to get a CGN2? any limitations? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you detail the issues that you are currently having, wired or wireless.  And, can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS...DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread.  Don't worry about how the data looks when you paste it into the tread, I'll sort out the data when I look at it.

With more info, perhaps we can determine what if anything can be done to alleviate the problems.

I'm not sure if you can manage to get a CGN2 these days, maybe the moderators know, or you could call your nearest Rogers store.  The limitation to the CGN2 is that you lose access to the higher data rates.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The CGN2s are allowed on the network.. just not sure if they are hading them out or not anymore.

Its not compatable with any of the new plans.

(all that being said, the CGN2 should be more than fine enough to get the speeds on the 30 or 60 package.. technically fast enough for the HIGHER ones too..
it comes down to if they are ROBUST enough for the higher speeds.  Without the higher channel spread of the CGN3 on the higher packages, you can run into congestion.
Its the main reason that they are trying to get most peopl to move to the 24 channel ones)

I've Been Here Awhile

I was having this exact same issue for a year since getting the CGN 3 Advanced Wifi modem.  My computer was hard wired and would discconect from mumble just like everyone else randomly.  Previously i had the CGN2 and it never did this. I must of replaced it 3 times before giving up and dealing with it.  Just 2 months ago i saw that they had the new Rocket Modem so i upgraded to that and its finally gone!  Not only that but the Wifi speeds and range have greatly improved.  I suggest everyone to throw that garbage CGN3 out the window and get the new Rocket Modem as it looks like they fixed all the issues that were wrong with the CGN3.  I havent run into any wifi or hard wired issues since upgrading and neither has my cousin.

I live in Richmond Hill and my cousin in Toronto.

I've Been Around

Internet disconnecting and reconnecting every minute

I recently made the switch to Rogers internet yesterday and I'm already having issues with my internet connection. Every time I play an online game, I get disconnected for a second, then reconnecting again, which takes about 10 seconds to get the internet back, then the cycle repeats itself every minute or so. I called technical support and the technician said that my modem wasn't set up properly and he went on to fix it. It didn't improve the condition. I'm still having the same issue. I currently have the CGN3 modem. I am also using a cable connection and I have no other devices connected to the modem. I also know that it's not my computer, since I was using a different internet service provider just before I made the switch and my connection went smoothly without any issues. What seems to be the problem?

I've Been Around

I have been with Rogers for a long time and suddenly last night started having a similar problem to what you're describing. I have the CGN3ACSMR router and I have a nasty history with it already so I can only assume it's something to do with these Hitron routers again. I contacted support on the phone and I think the dude I talked to might have lied to me about it being a problem in my neighbourhood (unless you also happen to live in the Christie Pits area). Freakin' guy mumbled in to the phone the whole time I could barely hear him. I'll probably call again in an hour or so.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

mfrboga wrote:

Internet disconnecting and reconnecting every minute

I recently made the switch to Rogers internet yesterday and I'm already having issues with my internet connection. Every time I play an online game, I get disconnected for a second, then reconnecting again, which takes about 10 seconds to get the internet back, then the cycle repeats itself every minute or so. I called technical support and the technician said that my modem wasn't set up properly and he went on to fix it. It didn't improve the condition. I'm still having the same issue. I currently have the CGN3 modem. I am also using a cable connection and I have no other devices connected to the modem. I also know that it's not my computer, since I was using a different internet service provider just before I made the switch and my connection went smoothly without any issues. What seems to be the problem?

Is it the CGN3 or the CGN3ACSMR you got?

If its the ACSMR, there is a firmware update which helps with a lot of gaming.. but can take a few days to get it pushed out to the modem (if you JUST had it installed)

I've Been Around

Hitron CGN3ROG with Extender/Repeater -  Random Wireless Disconnects

I have the Hitron CGN3ROG router and I currently have extended the range with the TP-Link AC1900 Wi-fi Range Extender

Before that I had used a repeater to extend the range by converting an old router (Cisco Linksys E1000). It had a different SSID on the 2.4 GHz band. It also experienced random disconnects. So, I bought this new range extender in hopes that it would fix the problem, it hasn’t.

The range extender is close enough to the CGN3 router and works beautifully. The problem is that it randomly disconnects and I need to wait until it decides to work again or until I rebooted the CGN3 router. This also happened with my repeater so I suspect the problem lies with the CGN3 router.  

What can I do to ensure the CGN3ROG router maintains its wireless connection to my Wi-Fi extender?

How can I troubleshoot what may be causing these disconnects?

What's New
UFC 231: Holloway vs. Ortega Live
LIVE: Saturday December 8, 2018 10PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of Dec 6 at 4pm ET.
UFC 231: Countdown Promo

UFC returns to Toronto on December 8th with a championship double-header as undisputed featherweight champion Max Holloway defends his title against unbeaten Brian Ortega. Also, a new UFC women's flyweight champion will be crowned when Valentina Shevchenko takes on former strawweight queen Joanna Jedrzejczyk for the vacant title. Saturday, December 8, live on Sportsnet Pay-Per-View from Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Canada.

Topic Stats