CGN3 - Sporadic random disconnect/reconnects

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: CGN3 - Sporadic random disconnect/reconnects

Ok we're in the same boat here kind of re-mumble situation.  Infact I'm postive we're both having the exact same issue, web page slowdown, the mumble crashes, but still on in the game.

Doing reading all night and just seems the Routing funcationality in CGN3 is just...

Atleast I have the option to pop my old router down which i did but dropped me from 250mbps down to 30mbps, it's a new 10/100 router i bought a month ago before realizing rogers went wide with the Hybrid system months back.  ( I should have kept up with the upgrade i would have spent the extra 10$ for gigbit ports).

I feel i have no choice but to buy another router... btw the disconnects in mumble etc stopped when i went bridged.

Absolutely no way you can plop a router down and have everyone connect to it?  If you try to plop it down as well without bridging the CGN you're gonna end up double NATing.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats very interesting to say the least.  It really confirms that the trouble that many people are having when gaming is a problem with the CGN3.  You don't have to double NAT however.  You can turn off the DHCP on the router and use it as an access point.  The CGN3 will then determine the LAN IP address for everything connecting through the router.  Any chance you could still return the router for one that has gigabit ports?  Never know till you try.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Leakyfaucet, looks like your in the same boat. I would think that the only way to solve this is to put the CGN3 in Bridge mode and connect a router to it, and let it handle everything, wired and wireless.  In that configuration there wouldn't be any difference to the downstream devices as they wouldn't know or care if they were connected to a CGN3 or another router, but you would see better performance when running a 3rd party router.

Edit:  Here's a thought for both of you.  The Mumble application may be running some type of constant comm check in the background which is dependant on the return timing.  Don't make the window and you are dropped off the server. I wonder if there is a setting to adjust that timing window within the application that would keep the application and server satisfied enough to keep running?  We're probably talking no more than a few milliseconds difference to keep the application running properly.

I'm Here A Lot

It doesn't seem that the issue is limited to CGN3 modems.

I have the older SMC3DGN and I've been experiencing random disconnects across all devices (wired and wireless) over the last couple of days. The issue seems to be the same as yours. Sometimes the service drops after 20-30 minutes, and sometimes it stays up for almost 2 hours, but none the less, a disconnect does occur at some point. 

I've been trying to play Destiny on the PS4 which is hardwired to the modem, and being kicked mid-match has been very annoying.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

wondering the location of any of the people with the issue.. seeing if its a specific region, etc.

The other night, played wow for about 4 hours, while downloading.. with not as much as a hickup.

I'm Here A Lot

Downtown Toronto (Church and Queen area)

Anybody else around the same place?

A few people at work are also experiencing issues, and they're mostly in Markham. 

I Plan to Stick Around

+1 re: the disconnects over the past few days  I don't have the CGN3 but the Cisco modem.  I think it was Tuesday or Wednesday when it first started with an internet outage that lasted an hour or so.  Since then, I've noticed more frequent drop outs than normal.  They don't last long but it's annoying.

I'm Here A Lot

Scarborough for me, Military and Ellesmare. 

I have a Gigabit switch (GXD1081) Setup as such:
Modem -> Switch -> Powerline -> PC. (All CAT5e)

Still having the disconnects. Happened almost 10 minutes in of switching it. 

What is the downside to double NAT? I dont have the money atm to get another Dualband router and switch it up for everyone, especially since the issue isnt exactly the worst thing, it's just annoying. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

For regular browsing, etc? Not much.. might be a tiny bit slower, as it has to do the 2nd taverse/nat for a split second.

But for some other stuff... gaming, etc.. which relys HEAVILY on going through the NAT (and has issues as it is with some of the newer routers).. double NATing would be suicide.

I'm Here A Lot

I didn't really know that. Back at my home I used to use (about a year back) double NAT all the time. I had the modem setup on 192.168.0.1, and the router was setup as 192.168.1.1 and I had most of the house network on the router. 

Guess I'll just have to live with it in the hopes theres some sort of firmware upgrade that gets pushed out to resolve the issue. 

What's New
UFC 231: Holloway vs. Ortega Live
LIVE: Saturday December 8, 2018 10PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of Dec 6 at 4pm ET.
UFC 231: Countdown Promo

UFC returns to Toronto on December 8th with a championship double-header as undisputed featherweight champion Max Holloway defends his title against unbeaten Brian Ortega. Also, a new UFC women's flyweight champion will be crowned when Valentina Shevchenko takes on former strawweight queen Joanna Jedrzejczyk for the vacant title. Saturday, December 8, live on Sportsnet Pay-Per-View from Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Canada.

Topic Stats