CGN3 - Sporadic random disconnect/reconnects

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

CGN3 - Sporadic random disconnect/reconnects

Recently had the internet in the place I'm renting upgraded and I seem to have this issue quite often. I will randomly disconnect from Mumble and the loading of webpages will stop for a bit, but I will stay connected on World of Warcraft. It happens for a few seconds and then it reconnects. The timing is fairly random, and it SOMETIMES disconnects me from WoW at the same time but never both Mumble and WoW at the same time. 

The mumble disconnect happens every 20minutes to an hour, some times it wont happen for long periods. WoW one happens entirely randomly not sure if they're related at all.

The issue I have is I'm renting a place with people and am NOT able to mess with the hardware configurations, that is to say, I can't do bridged mode and use another router. I can only go in and change some settings, without disabling wireless bands. I can use a router/switch inbetween my wired connection and the modem.

Not sure where to go from here, troubleshooting has led me nowhere. 

So far I've:
- Tried Google DNS

- Tried OPENDNS

- Firewall is off on PC

- Tried using direct IPs for mumble. 

- Using Static IP instead of Lease

- Used laptop Wireless connected to mumble, still has same issues BUT we dont always disconnect at the same time(s).

Any ideas on pinpointing and/or fixing the issue?

Thanks

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CGN3 - Sporadic random disconnect/reconnects

Has most of this, been happening on wired or wireless?

If wired.. there may not be much that can be done, with not having access to do anything more at the modem level.

About the ONLY thing you could try i would think.. would be if you have a wired connection available.. to get your own router.. and run as an ACCESS point.. so you  are doing your connections through it instead, especially for wireless.

I'm Here A Lot

This has been happening wired, However I AM useing a powerline ethernet system, not sure if that's what's causing issues but I don't think so.

So you're saying have the modem the way it is now, and run another one on say 192.168.1.xxx hardwire that to the modem and use that instead? 

Also not sure if it means anything but the modem doesnt show anything for Clients when I was using DHCP

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you tell us what modem is in use?  As well, where is the mumble server located, in the U.S. or Canada.  I'm wondering if you're running into issues with servers somewhere down in the U.S. causing problems.  There is one thing you could check and that is what side of the electrical panel both wireline devices are on, right or left.  If they don't sit on the same side, see if you could move one of them to a location where it will be on the same side.  Then run whatever length of ethernet cable you need to make that work, either into the first device or from the second device.  That probably isn't how it can be left permanently, but just for test purposes see if that makes any difference.  One other thing you can check is the cable signal.  Here's a link to my CGN3 DOCSIS WAN data showing the downstream and upstream power levels and signal to noise ratios. 

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/176...

Can you log into your modem, navigate to the DOCSIS WAN page, copy those table and paste them into this thread, just for a quick check that will hopefully rule out any cable issues.  Copy the tables only, and none of the other data that sits above the downstream table such as the WAN IP Address and others.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats possible as well datalink.. could be one of the major  peering partners... as that has effected many things recently.

Though i wouldnt discount suff localy... especially now that he has mentioned POWERLINE adapters.
I have heard mixed things about them... both on the same breaker? not bad.. outlets on seperate breakers?... and just even distance.. and the wiring quality, etc... can make them VERY flakey.

I would see if you are allowed to do some TESTING, running a long ethernet just temp to somewhere.. and seeing if you get the same results.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I wasn't actually thinking about putting them on the same breaker, although for test purposes that isn't a bad idea at all.  I just wanted to see what would happen if both powerline devices were on the same side of the panel, as they would then connect via their respective breakers and the same hot and neutral/ground bus bars within the panel.

I'm Here A Lot

I'd have to test the same side on monday or something after I get a bit longer wire.
Mumble server is in Chicago. 
As for the tables:

http://i.imgur.com/B8mWb5A.png

If it wasnt for the internet pages not loading for a few seconds I wou...

I've Been Here Awhile

I've been having a similar issue...

Just got the new CGN today after upgrading from the old extreme package..

my mumble has been randomly disconnecting all day... on top that i find that when for example i try to connect to a Dayz server (its a game) my Mumble will disconnect 80% of the time and rejoin in 5 seconds.

Now this didn't happen when i was on extreme, and i can't for the life of me figure it out.

Im wired, so its not QoS.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Since you just picked up the CGN3 today, have a look at the following post which summarizes the present situation with the CGN3 (I'm assuming CGN3 here);

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/190...

There are latency issues with the CGN3 and I'm wondering if that is coming into play here given your comment on the fact that it didn't happen when you were on a different router, 3825 by chance?  I wonder if the only way to solve it, until the next firmware release is to run the CGN3 in Bridge mode and use your own router to do everything such as firewall, port forwarding, wired and wireless support etc, etc.  If anyone is using a CGN3 in Bridge mode with a 3rd party modem behind it, and using Mumble, please chime in here and indicate if Mumble works, or if it still has issues.

Can you check your firmware version by logging into the CGN3?  The latest firmware version is 4.2.4.3.  If you have 4.1.4.1, it will take about 4 to 5 days for Rogers to push the next version out to your CGN3.

I'm Here A Lot

I'm on 4.2.4.3. Would it make a difference if I used a switch or router without doing the bridge mode? I can't bridge since everyone else is using the WiFi on it already.
Topic Stats