CGN3 (Rogers Advanced WiFi Modem) "VoIP phone issue

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: CGN3 (Rogers Advanced WiFi Modem) "VoIP phone issue

got it working :):)

it was the SIP/ALG setting 

called tech support and they forwarded to techxpert ( but i have it in my package) and they did it for me

also before i called i did a factory reset and reboot of modem - so all settings were wiped

thanks for your help once again 

for CGN3 basic ppl - just have the SIP/ALG setting disabled 

Retired Moderator RogersArthur
Retired Moderator

Hi @,

We're glad that it's working for you now! Smiley Happy Thanks for sharing the information with the Community. 

RogersArthur 

I've Been Here Awhile

Can Rogers resolve this issue please and provide a formal write up for the fix? THIS IS BEYOND RIDICULOUS. I had to downgrade my modem to an ancient one in order for my Voip to work. I'm paying for Extreme internet but am not receiving the speeds I'm paying for - not even remotely close to what I got with the CGN3 modem. The current modem that I have is garbage and always drops connections. I know Rogers has the expertise to resolve this - we shouldn't have to be reading through forums.

Please Rogers, help us all out here. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I posted a response to your previous query but there wasn't a further response from you.  Can you have a look at my previous response and let us know what you have tried so far to resolve the problems you are having.  I would guess that those issues can be resolved, but, any steps to do so require some actions on the part of the user, given the number of VOIP phones out on the market and wide range or settings that might be required by those phones.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/273...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If there was a write up on how to connect VOIP devices it might look like the following:

1.  Determine, from the phone's installation instructions or manufacturers web site, the port forwarding requirements for the phone.

2.  Call tech support and ask the CSR to disable the SIP/ALG setting of the modem.  

If the CSR refuses to check or uncheck the function switch, or tries to direct you to the Techxpert support which is a pay service, terminate the call and send a private message to @CommunityHelps to disable the SIP/ALG.   Include your modem MAC address and Cable Account Reference Number in the text area.  The Cable account reference number is located within the Internet section of your bill. If you are a new customer, you will not have immediate access to the Cable Account Reference Number.  This can be obtained by calling Customer support.  You can then send that Reference Number, along with the modem MAC address to CommunityHelps.  The account number that you normally see or use is comprised of various home services such as Internet, Home Phone, Home Monitoring, etc, but the requested reference number is located at the top of the Internet section of your monthly account statement.

The modem MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the modem, or in the HFC MACC Address located in the Status page of the modem when you are logged into the modem.

3.  When that is confirmed as complete, reboot the modem to determine if disabling the SIP/ALG has remedied the problem.  

4.  If that has not remedied the problem, log into the modem and create a static IP address for the phone using DHCP reservation function of the modem.  You will need to ensure that the phone is connected to the modem and powered up.  You can use the same IP address that the phone currently has, or start at the bottom of the modem's IP range and add .2 or .3, resulting in an address from a base of 192.168.0.1 becoming 192.168.0.3 for the phone. You can also start at the top of the IP address range and move down, going from an upper address of something like 192.168.0.255 down to 192.168.0.243 for the phone.  You will also need to determine if the phone does require an IP address as specified by the manufacturer.

5.  When the static IP has been created, reboot the modem.

6.  Log into the modem after the reboot, and create the port forwarding rules required for the phone.  For each port number create a single rule, using rule names such as Phone 1, Phone 2, etc. etc.  Specify the TCP or UDP setting for each port and the port number, which will be the same for the public and private ports of the modem.

7.  When the port forwarding rules have been established and saved, reboot the modem with the phone connected and power up.  

With the SIP/ALG disabled, static IP address and ports set for forwarding, your phone should operate as expected.

I've Been Here Awhile

This sounds all well and good, but I've spent countless hours troubleshooting this problem only to get no where.

I just spoke to a Techxpert who told me it is not the SIP/ALG that needs any changing. I quoted this thread repeatedly but deferred to her expertise.... She put my device in the DMZ, left my port forwarding in place and had me add DNS settings to my ATA box. I did a full reboot cycle but it hasn't fixed things.

In my case, once I received the firmware upgrade to *.16, things were actually mostly working, the voip device would register properly but I soon started having problems with incoming calls. The problem could be somewhere else, but I've had this voip service for years, self-configured it, and things only went arry when I got this new Hitron unit. 

At this point I think I'm just going to go buy a decent router and set this up in bridge mode, it's the only way I can be confident that my set-up will continue to work and at least I'll be able to properly support it myself. You might consider saving yourself a dozen phone calls/chats/tweets/firmware checks and just do the same.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its really discouraging to see people having to fight with tech support just to disable the SIP/ALG function on the modem.  Seems that we've been thru this time and time again.  There are numerous threads across the internet recommending disabling the SIP/ALG on routers in order to run VOIP devices, so, it shouldn't come as a surprise that it should also be recommended in this case.  If I were you I'd send a pm to @CommunityHelps requesting that it be disabled.  If you can't get that done, you will never know if in fact thats the main issue.  If it is, and your satisfied with the performance of the modem, you just saved the cost of a new router. 

As for placing the phone in the DMZ, personal opinion, you should never have to place anything in a DMZ just to get it to work.  Doing so leaves it wide open to the internet, with all of its probing and hacking attempts.  You shouldn't have to put up with that.  I suspect, but I may be wrong, that any port forwarding settings are useless when the phone is in the DMZ.  There isn't much point for those settings to exist when the phone is wide open. 

Looking at my router, an Asus RT-AC68U, there is a SIP passthrough Enable / Disable in the WAN.... NAT Passthrough page, so I suspect that this should be common to other Asus routers as well.  In case you're interested, the replacement for this router is the RT-AC68P, which fixes the lack of shielding on the USB ports and includes a slightly faster processor.

I've Been Here Awhile

Got Yak home phone working with Hitron CGN3ACSMR modem. 🙂 Thank you AP @CommunityHelps!

These were my steps:

1) Set up DHCP reservation for SPA122. This is the host name of the Yak ATA device.

2) Set up portforwarding as per Yak's guide. Forwarded TCP/UDP Port 5060-61 and TCP/UDP Port 20000-40000 to SPA122's IP.

3) Got SIP/ALG disabled by @CommunityHelps.

4) In the mean time Yak ATA device somehow auto-reprovisioned itself from phone port 1 to port 2. No line in phone port 1 and outgoing calls were dropping after 30 seconds when connecting phone to port 2. Called Yak and they reprovisioned ATA device to the original phone port 1. I am not sure if they applied any other changes. This reprovisioning took effect rougly half hour later.

I tested outgoing calls 10 times and no more dropped calls after 30 seconds! 🙂

I hope this will help other lucky Yak users who upgrade to the new rocket modem.

I've Been Here Awhile

I took your advice and contacted @CommunityHelps who very promptly disabled the SIP/ALG setting. I power cylcled and reset my ATA device just to be safe and everything looks to be in working order! No more DMZ and so far the behaviour of the phone is consistent with what it was before.

Thanks for updating the Community @etei__

I'm glad that this helped with your VoIP issues Smiley Wink

Cheers!

RogersMaude