CGN3 (Rogers Advanced WiFi Modem) "VoIP phone issue

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CGN3 (Rogers Advanced WiFi Modem) "VoIP phone issue

Hello.  Can I get some help to?  Was hooked up today and my VOIP.ms line no longer works on an Obi100.  I have the CGN3ACSMR on firmware 4.4.8.14 and I have opened all the ports suggested on the Obihai website as follows:

What on earth is going on?  I signed up for Rogers thinking I would get a first class easy experince, right now I have a headache!  This is why I paid a premium vs. some of the smaller companies.

Allow Outgoing:
TCP Ports: 6800, 5222, 5223
UDP Ports: 5060, 5061, 10000 to 11000, 16600 to 16998, 19305
Allow Incoming on UDP Port: 10000

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you have a look at the following thread and read post # 4 of 4, which I just posted.  Hopefully that will answer your questions.   It won't make you happy to read it, but it should answer the problems you are seeing.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/276...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I spoke to support this AM re: post #92.  Far from helpful ... he did not know there was a .16 version firmware, funny that I had to be the one to make him aware after he told me 3 times I was on the latest with .14.

He told me I may have to wait up to a month for it to be pushed out to me.  I said not acceptable as I need to get the VOIP to work/register as this VOIP is my home phone.

As for helping to get the VOIP working, he said they don't support that and its my issue.  I asked how could it be my issue - it works with my 2 prior providers simply by plugging it in - with your hardware/service it doesn't work.  He said it does for everyone else so problem is at my end.  I then said send me an email and I will send a link back to this forum showing him 10 pages of it being more than just my problem with this modem.

Starting to remember why I dropped my rogers services a few years ago and wondering if its worth it to stay.  I still haven't given notice to the provider I planned to drop as I wanted to make sure this works - so if I can't get it working I'm going to bail on rogers ignite.  I expected much more from Rogers given all the recent marketing campaigns talking about putting consumers first and being a tier 1 group.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

... no firmware pushed out first two nights 😞

No home phone as a result

Highlighted
I've Been Around

acanac voip- no dial tone after setting with hitron cgnac modem.

Hello,

I just upgraded my rogers internet pkg to ignite 100 and got a rocket wifi modem cgnac3. Since setting it up I am not longer able to use my acanac voip phone. There is no Dial tone. It was working fine with the rogers cisco modem before the upgrade. Any assistance would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Schu 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats the CGN3ACR modem?  Just checking.  There is also a CGN3ACSMR out as well which comes with firmware version 4.4.8.14.  That firmware version is essentially a no go for online gaming, VOIP devices, VPNs and any other latency intolerant application.  Firmware version 4.5.8.16 takes 48 to 72 hours to load once the modem goes online.  Can you check the product sticker on the back of the modem just to ensure what version of the CGN3 series modem you have.  

If it is the CGN3ACR, call tech support and ask the CSR to disable the SIP/ALG setting.  Once that is done, reboot the modem, or unplug the modem and plug it back in to restart it.  Changing this setting does not require the services of a Techxpert tech, which costs more money to subscribe to.  You might alredy have it as part of your internet package.  I haven't checked recently to see what is included in the various packages.  If the CSR refuses to change it, basically say, thanks very much, terminate the discussion, and then call back in to speak with another CSR.  Let us know if you have problems getting the SIP/ALG disabled.

If you have the CGN3ACSMR, you will have to wait until firmware version 4.5.8.16 loads, then have the SIP/ALG disabled.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello, I just got this CGN3ACSMR router, my fongo phone dropped after 30 seconds, nicely here is already solutions, But when I contacted Rogers support tonight, she first told me that this is out of her support scope, and give me that techxpert support options, anyway after spending almost 1 hour with her, she reset my router, all my settings are gone, I still have broken phones... Is it really hard for this simple SIP ALG change? Could someone help me please? Thanks

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

"Is it really hard for this simple SIP ALG change?" NO.  Contact @CommunityHelps to have this done.  Follow that link to the CommunityHelps page when you are signed into the forum. On the right hand side of the page is a link titled "Send this user a private message". Use that link to navigate to the next message composition page, fill in the title, something such as "Request SIP/ALG disable", your modem MAC address and Cable Account Reference Number in the text area. The Cable account reference number is located within the Internet section of your bill. If you are a new customer, you will not have immediate access to the Cable Account Reference Number. This can be obtained by calling Customer support. You can then send that Reference Number, along with the modem MAC address to CommunityHelps. The account number that you normally see or use is comprised of various home services such as Internet, Home Phone, Home Monitoring, etc, but the requested reference number is located at the top of the Internet section of your monthly account statement.

The modem MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the modem, or in the HFC MACC Address located in the Status page of the modem when you are logged into the modem.

Now, just to note, even with that change, you are probably going to find it impossible to use the device.  That is due to firmware version 4.4.8.14 which is probably loaded on your modem.  Log into the modem, and on the Status page which is the first page to come up, check the Software Version.  Version 4.5.8.16 which fixes previous version problems with online gaming, VOIP devices, VPNs and latency intolerant applications takes 48 to 72 hours to load, at which point the phone might operate without any change to the SIP/ALG setting.  I would advise waiting until that version loads before you press on with the VOIP device.  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

No,it is not true it does not take 72 to push the update. My daughter moved in may in a condo; and the problem with update with 16 at the end took more than 2 month after long debate with rogers and the voip ptovider. As soon as the firmware was that with 16 at the end the voip start to work properly. So no matter what i told them I meant to rogers nothing helped. I think that the firmware is pushed randomely but i do not know why they do not listen when you call them; maybe they have their home phone service and they push you to the limits to make you to buy from them. What a crocks!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi I've had my new rogers ignite 100 down/  10 up service installed since tuesday evening and I still have yet to receive the new firmware upgrade for my modem.  I'm still sitting at 4.4.8.14 and i require 4.5.8.16 .  It's been beyond the 72 hour window where the automatic upgrade should have kicked in.  I called rogers and they opened a ticket on Friday but still nothing installed as of yet.  

The reason why this is important for me is because my voice over ip with primus has been effected since having this new modem installed.  Can't make any outgoing calls.  I already did everything i could on my end, added the primus box to the dmz and disabled SIP ALG (by calling rogers tech) still doesn't solve the issue. 

I've been told updating to the newst firmware is the only way.   Also I can't seem to login fully on the forum site to message the @CommunityHelps account as others have indicated is a way to speed up the firmware upgrade process everytime i hit sign in to try and find the area to private message this account it doesn't really sign me in? 

How much longer you think i have to wait?