CGN3 (Rogers Advanced WiFi Modem) "VoIP phone issue

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: CGN3 (Rogers Advanced WiFi Modem) "VoIP phone issue

Hi...I seem to be having an issue with my VoIP phone too since I got this new modem. My phone is with Vonage. I can hear dial tone, but when I dial a number I get nothing. Apparently the person I'm calling hears their phone ring so they answer it and can hear me.

I've read through this entire thread but am a bit confused about what to do. If anyone can guide me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks!
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Do you have a CGN3ACSMR as seen on the product sticker at the back of the modem?   Can you let me know which you have, either way.  The other choices are the CGN3 and CGN3ACR.

If you have a CGN3ACSMR, can you log into the modem and check the Firmware Version that is currently loaded.  It will be displayed on the first page that comes up when you log into the modem.  If you have the CGN3ACSMR with Firmware Version 4.4.8.13 you will definitely have problems.  There are two issues, latency to and thru the modem, which is common to all CGN3 series modems.  The other issue affects gaming applications, VOIP devices, VPNs and any other application that is latency intolerant.  That problem is specific to the CGN3ACSMR.  So, if you do have that modem, with its original firmware, its no surprise.  The network wide distribution of the firmware that resolves those issues was completed last week, so at this point, anyone who now receives one of these at a Rogers Store, or via Tech install will have to be patient until Version 4.5.8.16 is installed, usually within 48 hours.  Wish I had better news on the timing, but its definitely better than waiting weeks for the firmware, as many have done.  Any issues that you are having due to the current firmware should be resolved after the version loads and the modem roboots.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have a CGN3.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hope you will solve the problem. Mine was the same until i got the firmware with rhv16 digits at the end.The problem was solved by itself. Now for 1 week seem it is working ok. But i do not know what was the issue because i do not remember what version of firmware it was before. But what was also strange is that with my cisco spa112 and linksys ata any voip worked accept from fongo that was on grandstream ht701. And peope from fongo do not provide ata settings they sell their devices already set. So you have to follow the advice from people and see what happens. Good luck.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Tymmy I would suggest setting up a static IP address for the phone by using a DHCP reservation.  This is done in the BASIC... LAN page of the modem user controls.  Once that is set up, set up port forwarding for that IP address which is done in BASIC..... PORT FORWARDING.  Here are the ports from the Vonage site:

Ports used by Vonage Adapters

The following ports are used by Vonage and may need to be forwarded to your Vonage Adapter.

SIP: Port 5061 UDP (Used to send and receive SIP information)

RTP: Ports 10000-20000 UDP. (Used to send and receive RTP traffic) When a call is made, random ports between 10000 and 20000 are used to carry the conversation. If any of these ports are blocked, you may experience one way or no audio.

https://support.vonage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/690/~/port-forwarding

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Just as an update, after Rogers had disabled the SIP ALG this how now started working.  It has been over a week and the phone has not lost connection.

Highlighted

Hello, @sarahanddennis

Thank you for updating the Community, it definitely helps other members with VOIP issues on CGN3 modem. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks for your contribution and for your help in keeping the community a pleasant place to be.Smiley Happy

Thanks,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks, @Datalink. That worked. I appreciate the help!
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sarahanddennis was this just a matter of turning off the SIP/ALG or is there any port forwarding that was used as well?  Just want to make sure I know what to tell others in the same situation  🙂

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

hi,

Rogers updated my router but refuses to assist me (unless i want to pay their techxperts) in settings the new options to work with my voip adapter.

This is what I sent hitron so if anyone could help me with exact specifics it would be greatly appreciated. I searched the firums and found similar issues but could not trace the messages to find the resolution.

"I just got your new Hitron CGN3, P/N 1510610002N0 last week to use with my hign speed cable internet service but upon connecting it to my computer and to my VOIP adapter (Grandstream HT502) when trying to place outgoing calls my call drops after almost exactly 30 seconds and goes to a fast busy signal.

I cannot locate the configuration settings to in any document for your product but from the research I've done online, it appears as though I need to disable the   SIP ALG in your router. How do I access these settings to disable the Application Layer Gateway?

I did not have any problems before upgrading my router so I need this resolved ASAP. I've been told I should return it and exchange it for another type of router to try but I prefer to keep it since it is a superior product from my old router and am certain that there must be some simple settings to be changed to correct my VOIP outgoing drop calls issue.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated."

And of course i cannot get help from my voip provider because noone is answering the calls or emails, ugh, so frustrating.

Thanks in advance!

Michael

****Edit Labels****