CGN3 (Rogers Advanced WiFi Modem) "VoIP phone issue

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CGN3 (Rogers Advanced WiFi Modem) "VoIP phone issue

Thank you. Hope i will be able to do on saturday.
Highlighted

@Datalink - thank you for posting the instructions.

@flomar - please feel free to post any questions you may have, we do our best to find a solution for you.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When I have more time later on I will attempt to come up with a list that you can follow.  @Gdkitty might chime in as well.  Basically it requires setting a static address for the phone and setting the port forwarding to that address.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ty
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I'm still seeing the same issue with my voip and rogers modem.

I have the SPA122 Cisco ATA which I have DHCP Reservation setup to a particular IP address.

Then I also Port Forward the following

SIP5060~50615060~5061TCP/UDP    
RTP20000~4000020000~40000TCP/UDP 

It works for a little while, and for some reason it no longer works and I don't get a dialtone anymore unless I reboot the .

I have the Hitron CGN3ROG Modem/Router

HW Version1A
SW Version4.2.4.5

Am I able to receive the proper SW Upgrade to fix this?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sarahanddennis do you have a static IP reservation for the phone set up?  If you don't, that might help.  While the CGN3 does have latency issue as does the CGN3ACR, it doesn't have the original issues with game, VOIP and VPN applications that the CGN3ACSMR had with its previous firmware.  Given the success of the update firmware for that modem, you could try swapping your CGN3 for a CGN3ACSMR.  The SMR will have the previous version firmware loaded, but the update should be applied within 48 hours of the modem going active on the network.  You would still have to set up a static address and port forwarding.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@flomar give the following instructions a go, and let me know if the phone works as it should. 

Ok, the first thing to do is to log into the modem using the gateway login page: 192.168.0.1

Then check the Software Version shown on the Status page that you should see immediately after logging into the modem. The version should be at 4.5.8.16 by now as the network wide distribution has been underway for the whole of this last week. If for some reason it is not at that version level, then you should request the update from @CommunityHelps. You can find the details required by reading the first post in this thread:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/2532...

If the previous version is still in place, then you may have difficulties using the phone, even with the static address and port forwarding in place.

There are two potential ways to accomplish this, automatic, or manual.

Automatic would mean using UPNP, Universal Plug and Play. When enabled this allows applications and devices to set port forwarding rules as required. The only question is, does it actually work in the CGN3ACSMR. I run mine in Bridge mode with an Asus router, so I’m not sure if this does work. It did not work on the CGN3 until the last firmware update, so there is a good chance that it doesn’t work but its easy to determine. Navigate to BASIC… GATEWAY FUNCTION. Enable UPNP. Save the setting and reboot the modem using the ADMIN… DEVICE RESET tab. Ensure that the phone is connected and powered up. After the reboot, log into the modem again and navigate to BASIC… PORT FORWARDING. If UPNP actually works on the CGN3ACSMR, you will see two rules, one for port 5060 and one for port 13000. If the rules are empty, that would indicate that UPNP on the CGN3ACSMR does not work or that possible that the Fongo Home Phone Adapter is not UPNP compliant. Please let me know one way or the other. Although UPNP is useful, the major drawback is that its also a security hazard, in that it does let applications and devices set modem and router settings without your knowledge. For that reason I recommend that it not be used and that it should be disabled. But for the purposes of setting up the phone and testing it, it should be a useful function. If the rules are in place, test the phone to see if it works properly. If it does, do a screen capture of the port forwarding tab, (control – alt – Print Screen) and then paste that into something like Microsoft paint. You can then use those settings to manually set the port forwarding rules after disabling UPNP and rebooting the modem.

Manual setting:

To set a static IP address for the phone, you will need to know the MAC address for the phone. That should probably be found on the bottom of the Fongo Home Phone adapter. If you navigate to BASIC…. LAN Setup tab you will see the Private Lan Settings and the Connected Computers list. If the phone is up and running and connected, you should see it appear on the Connected Computers list. At this point you should make a DHCP reservation for the phone so that it will always have the same IP, otherwise, if the modem is ever restarted or the power goes out and the modem restarts when the power comes back on, the next IP that is issued for the phone could or would be completely different, so the next step, which is to create the port forwarding rules would no longer apply. Your Private Lan IP Address probably starts at 192.168.0.1 as shown on the LAN setup tab. I would set the phone IP address as 192.168.0.2, so that it’s the next address in line. If the Phone is listed in the Connected Computers list, copy the MAC address and then select DHCP Reservation. The next screen that pops up should contain a MAC address and IP address entry window. The CGNV4 manual doesn't have an example of that so I’m assuming that those two windows are the only ones. Paste in the MAC address and use 192.168.0.2 for the IP address. That might create a temporary conflict for the moment, which won't be a big deal unless of course it’s used by the computer that you are using to log in with and manage the tabs. You will have to decide what to use in that case. I would stick with a low IP address. When you have completed the reservation, save the entry data and reboot the modem using the ADMIN… DEVICE RESET tab

After the reboot, log into the modem again and have another look at the BASIC…. LAN Setup tab to ensure that the IP address that you selected has been assigned to the phone. Then proceed to the BASIC… PORT FORWARDING tab.

Switch All Port forwarding Rules to Enabled.

Click Add.

Enter the following settings: you will need two rules, one for port 5060 and one for port 13000. Here's a link to the Fongo support page which shows the ports on the bottom of the page:

http://support.fongo.com/entries/22882102-Unable-to-place-a-call

Rule #1:  Set the entries as shown

*** Common Application:   Note there is a discrepancy between this statement and what the CGNV4 user manual shows. The manual indicates that this entry does not exist.

Application Name:   Fongo

Protocol: UDP

Public Port Range: 5060

Private Port Range: 5060

Local IP Address: Enter the IP address assigned to the phone.

Rule #2

Application Name:   Fongo

Protocol: UDP

Public Port Range: 13000

Private Port Range: 13000

Local IP Address: Enter the IP address assigned to the phone.

Save the settings and reboot the modem.

After the reboot, test the phone.  Please let me know how this turns out.

Edit:  edited to indicate that the Fongo Home Phone Adapter may not be UPNP compliant if the UPNP rules are empty after the modem reboot with UPNP enabled.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thans for the details. Today i was able to test again. I checked and now the modem firmware was that with 16 at the end. Today the fongo service worked properly for more thsn two hours of testing. Fongo also and said i do not have to do any settings to ata. And this time they were right.
Highlighted

@flomar - Thank you for letting the Community know about the outcome of testing your Fongo service. Your feedback is greatly appreciatedSmiley Happy

RogersMoin

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes and today is still ok. Hope will work for long term.