CGN3 Modem USB Storage Free Space reporting

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

CGN3 Modem USB Storage Free Space reporting

I have a 3Tb WD external drive attached to my CGN3. The drive works fine attached to a computer and attached to my previous Netgear router. On the CGN3, the drive is recognized and I am able to map it and use it. My main problem is the used and free space properties - the router OS is unable to calculate this properly and even though I have 1TB free on the drive, the router mapping on Win7 says only 178Mb is free.

How can this be corrected because my backup process will only attempt a file copy if there is sufficient free space (all my files bigger then 178Mb, do not backup)? Windows must get this info from the router OS because when the drive is directly connected to the computer, the space is calculated correctly. Is there a firmware upgrade needed to correct this (I'm at 4.2.4.5)?

***Edited Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CGN3 Modem USB Storage Free Space reporting

That is the latest firmware.

Its POSSIBLE that they can do a firmware fix in the future to fix it..

Its not a service breaking feature.. so i wouldnt expect a fix very quickly though.

I know some of the newer routers are much better at using those drives..  But this is one of the issues I ran into in the past as the USB to Network adapters first came out... they just didnt seem to manage the drive that way properly.

Went to Ext drive on a PC mapped (i usually have a PC on 24/7), and more so now, just network attached drives... seem MUCH more reliable.

I Plan to Stick Around

I got the impression from other topics that the USB Storage deifnitions were flaky, but the whole reason I swapped out my old modem for the CGN3 was to use the USB ports. Would the CGN3ACR "Rocket" work better?

I already have a NAS which works great. This extra USB drive was for a different backup.

I understand that USB Storage is not a priority feature but why bother buliding it if they can't make it work properly.

Is there a way to submit upgrade requests?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While i dont have the ACR.. i would THINK there would be no difference.
It runs the exact same firmware as the CGN3.

Why add it/do it, if it doesnt work?  That's a very good question :/
That comes up across MANY router manufacturers... Lets make an AC WIRELESS ROUTER!!!.... and only put 10/100 LAN and WAN ports on it...
Why in this day and age.. to some laptop manufactuers still only put 10/100 ports in laptops..
Cheaper??

There is no real FORMAL submission thing.. i WISH There was.
Sometimes the rogers reps will forward stuff from here to whoever inside is needed.

You could try submitting it in the IDEABOX.. might get passed on from there.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks @Gdkitty Smiley Happy

I decided to run a chkdsk against the drive to rule out any drive problem and after that finished, the drive (NTFS) is no longer recognized by the router. For the time being, I have moved the drive to another computer and am sharing from there. There must have been something on the drive that allowed it to "sort-of" work on the router - but was clobbered by chkdsk.

For now, I will bug WD to see if there is something that can be done. Just to confirm, the OS that the router runs would be a UNIX shell of some sort?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The OS is probably some form of Unix or LInux.  @VivienM is the person to ask about this.  It came up for discussion not so very long ago concerning the Asus RT-AC68U, and connection to an external drive.  The possibility exists that a drive formated in a Linux native format might be a better choice to use.  It would be an interesting experiment to take a drive, formated with a Linux compatible format and see if the reported space is correct, but, would that work with a drive like yours?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

The OS is probably some form of Unix or LInux.  @VivienM is the person to ask about this.  It came up for discussion not so very long ago concerning the Asus RT-AC68U, and connection to an external drive.  The possibility exists that a drive formated in a Linux native format might be a better choice to use.  It would be an interesting experiment to take a drive, formated with a Linux compatible format and see if the reported space is correct, but, would that work with a drive like yours?

Okay, I haven't been following this thread, so sorry for sounding a little clueless.

Frankly, I think using the CGN3 as a NAS is a bad, bad idea.

I think using the CGN3 as a NAS with a NTFS drive is an even worse idea. I simply do not trust anything other than real Windows or maybe one of the commercial NTFS drivers for OS X to write to an NTFS drive. Knowing Hitron's outstanding software quality control, I would trust their code even less than I'd trust Asus' or some random Linux distro's.

As for the free space reporting problem, frankly, that doesn't surprise me, especially when dealing with a drive over 2TB. I have no idea how SMB handles free space reporting...

I wouldn't go and reformat this drive ext3 or something else to see if the CGN3 will be happier with it.

Go and buy a real NAS from a real vendor that knows how to write software. I like my Synology, it's pricy, but it's all built on bulletproof, mature open-source code - i.e. Linux, running on an ext4 file system:

helium> mount
/dev/root on / type ext4 (defaults)
/sys on /sys type sysfs (0)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (gid=4,mode=620)
/tmp on /tmp type tmpfs (0)
/run on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755)
/dev/shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime)
/proc/bus/usb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (0)
/dev/vg1000/lv on /volume1 type ext4 (usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,synoacl)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (0)

helium> uname -a
Linux helium 2.6.32.12 #5022 Wed Jan 7 14:19:44 CST 2015 armv5tel GNU/Linux synology_88f6282_212+

I Plan to Stick Around

Love it! Western Digital said almost the same thing - don't use an Elements drive as a NAS via router USB. I have since moved my WD drive and hooked it directly to my Win7 machine, and am sharing it. It does the job.

It's too bad Hitron doesn't have this figured out. Before the CGN3, I had the same WD drive connected to a standalone Netgear router with no issues. However, given the CGN3 networking performance is MUCH better than the Netgear, I will sacrifice the USB Storage connection.

Thanks for all the input and advice Smiley Happy

I Plan to Stick Around

My Asus n66u works perfectly with an ext3 formatted usb drive attached to it. However it also spins down the drive when idle. I would say that is the most important thing for the life of the drive.

If the Hitron spins down the drive then it would make no different if it's plugged into a PC or the router.

Even my Asus didn't really like ntfs drives.