CGN3 Hitron Ethernet Problems

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

CGN3 Hitron Ethernet Problems

I recently got the new CGN3 router that rogers came out with, and it has been giving me a lot of problems. The wifi works fine, and it connects with all my other computers just fine through an ethernet connection. It's only my PC that it doesn't seem to work with.

At first, I thought maybe it was my ethernet port that was faulty, but that is not the case. I connected numerous devices on my computer just to check if the port works fine, and it does.

I did some reading here and there and found out that the network driver I have which is the Realtek PCIe Family Controller is known to not work so well with the CGN3. That is the closest I could get to what the problem could be. 

Rogers support couldn't really tell me anything besides assuming my ethernet port is defective, and I eventually gave up last night trying to contact Rogers "Techsperts" waiting on hold for over 2 hours. I will probably contact them sometime today and see if they can help. I might just have to resort to switching back to the CGN2 which my computer seems to work fine with.

If anyone has been through this before and has a solution, feel free to post it down below. If I eventually find a fix to it myself, I will be sure to add it to this thread. Thanks.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CGN3 Hitron Ethernet Problems

Realtek is a fairly common card..  i havent heard at least on here of people with an issue with it...

Have you checked to see if there are updated drivers for the networking card?  Try using the manufactuers one (likely from your motherboard mfg website) vs say the MS ones.

If there was no specific reason (other than the 'potential' better wifi) to swtich to the 3, going to the 2, might be easiest.

Alternatively, you could get a gigabit network card from bestbuy for like $15

I'm a Senior Contributor

Well, I'm not a big fan of workarounds when we need an actual fix BUT in this case your best option is to call Rogers and have them disable the wireless function (bridge mode) and get yourself a name brand 3rd party wireless router to add to your home network. In Bridge mode, the CGN3 will act as a modem only.

It's highly doubtful Rogers will improve the CGN3's Realtek compatibility any time soon (if it's even possible). A 3rd party router will solve this issue.

These Gateways have been a very bad idea from the beginning and hopefully we'll see standalone D3 modems offered in the near future for our use.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
I'm Here A Lot

I guess I could look into a new network card if it is that cheap. And I would try to get a different network driver, but I can't connect to the internet long enough to do that. My best bet might be to find my motherboard driver installation CD and see if it lets me do it that way. Thanks though.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

motherboard CD would likely be very out of date though Smiley Sad

If you can get on someone elses PC, and download it, put it on a USB key, and could install it that way.

Getting the network card from say bestbuy, is easy if it doesnt fix it either.  If it doesnt work, they have a 15 or 30 day return policy on that stuff. you can just return it.

Another option, would be as Hogwash said.. using bridge mode... with your own router.  HOPEFULLY that router would not have an issue with the network card.

I'm Here A Lot

Yea, those solutions sound like they are do-able. Thanks.

I will still try to contact Rogers support and see if they can do anything further, like run diagnostics on my drivers and see if they can get it to work. If they do, I'll be sure to post the solution here. If not, then I guess I'm either downgrading back to the CGN3, or getting a new network card.

One question though, If i only have one PCIe slot, and it's being taken up by a video card, is there a different slot the network card goes into? I'd open up my PC and check for myself, but I'm not home right now. I guess it would just be nice to know if it really is that easy to simply get a different network card, instead of possibly having to get a whole new motherboard.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Most machines, will usually have 1-2 PCI-E 16x slots.  These are what your video card is usually in.

While you can plug other PCI-E devices into it.. (a 1x, etc), most machines will have usually a PCI-E 1x or 4x slot as well, and sometimes still regular PCI slots.  Unless you have a microATX board, you likely will have at least one other slot.
Just make sure to get the right card for that slot

(IE: PCI is PCI only.  A 1x card can fix in a 4x slot, but not vice versa)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express
Good image half way down the page there.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@xAndroid wrote:

I guess it would just be nice to know if it really is that easy to simply get a different network card, instead of possibly having to get a whole new motherboard.

We're making a mountain out of a molehill here.

Get yourself a PCI network card (about $20) and plug it into a (usually white) PCI slot and you're good to go. Worrying about drivers when the REALTEK hardware is incompatible (IF it is in your case) is pointless. Incompatible MEANS incompatible. You'd be farther ahead updating your Operating System to see if that helps (doubtful).

Make sure the card you buy is a 'Gigabit Ethernet PCI Card 10/100/1000Mbps'. Otherwise it won't be compatible OR DELIVER Docsis 3 tier speeds.

Otherwise, go with the SMART money and get a 3rd party router. It's a one time investment that will ELIMINATE your problems permanently.

You can also buy a Wireless USB network adapter. Plug it into a USB port, install the drivers and you're connected to the CGN3 AND the internet (about $50). http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=511923

'Pay me now or Pay me later'. Some things just NEED to be done.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If there is a problem with the network card as a whole.. driver or whatever else related...it COULD run into issues, even with a 3rd party router.  If it runs into the came conflict that the new hitron is.

Overall, YES getting one of those is not necessarily a BAD idea overall.  But may not necessarily fix the issue either.

IE:  There is a bug in a series of the INTEL WIRELESS cards right now.  Without updating the drivers, they could have issues on ANY wireless connection, until fixed.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

IE:  There is a bug in a series of the INTEL WIRELESS cards right now.  Without updating the drivers, they could have issues on ANY wireless connection, until fixed.

I see you're unfamiliar with network cards.

Realtek and Intel are 2 totally DIFFERENT network adapters. The OP stated the issue is with the Realtek adapter. If the OP has BOTH on his board then he could simply switch to the Intel adapter. 

This is what the OP posted:

I recently got the new CGN3 router that rogers came out with, and it has been giving me a lot of problems. The wifi works fine, and it connects with all my other computers just fine through an ethernet connection. It's only my PC that it doesn't seem to work with.

At first, I thought maybe it was my ethernet port that was faulty, but that is not the case. I connected numerous devices on my computer just to check if the port works fine, and it does.

I did some reading here and there and found out that the network driver I have which is the Realtek PCIe Family Controller is known to not work so well with the CGN3. That is the closest I could get to what the problem could be.. 

OBVIOUSLY the OP took the trouble to run down the issue. Kudos to him.