CGN3 Hitron Ethernet Problems

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: CGN3 Hitron Ethernet Problems

Do you have other services with Rogers? If so, are you aware they're giving away an extra 200gb a month to those with multiple services?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have a read through my previous post below which summarizes the current state of affairs of the CGN3 modem.  Hopefully that will clear a few things up:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/190...

Fwiw, I and others run the 250 Mb/s plan without any issue.  I'm sure there are others running the 350 Mb/s plan.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would have to agree with Datalinks findings that they linked to there.

That you are getting only roughtly 30.. i almost GUARANTEE thats the issue... as that seems to be the magic amount it settles to.

What device (3rd party router... or PC, etc) are you connecting to the CGN3?
I am willing to wager.. that its a 10/100 only device (also by that you were on ultimate, which was 150 and you only ever got 90 or so).

There is a current bug, with the CGN3, which it doesnt link 10/100 devices PROPERLY and seems to give them even less than 1/2 duplex 10/100 speeds.

In the end, a 10/100 device, on the 150 plan, you are bottlenecking your connection anyways.
Going down to a 60 plan, you would be yes below the max for the card/port... BUT if its a 10/100 it will STILL only link at 30odd..

All in all, regardless of WHICH plan you are on.. you would be best (again dependin on WHAT devices you have, etc) to invest in a gigabit router/or switch to go inbetween.. potentially a gigabit card for the end device if thats what 10/100.  This would maximize your throughput.. remove the bottleneck at the 150 plan anyways... and also remove the 10/100 bug out of the equation.

---------

As lurker had said.. Yes, the website for the plan (say 60) only lists 120 as the base amount... if you do have TV and home phone as well, you qualify for a free 200g usage.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I said that the allowable download was not the issue, the forced restriction of throuput is. I was on ultimate, and rarely reach 200GB in a month. I was illustrating the ignorance of Rogers "upper management". I run two devices thru my feed, but only really use one. 200GB is fine, I wasn't expressing dissatisfaction with that, but with the fact that I now get a real-world 2-3MBps (16-24Mbps) and that is insufferable. You can see the full post on DSL Reports. It went something like this:

I "upgraded" from my pitiful old SMCD3GN w/ Rogers Ultimate to the AWESOME new Hitron CGN3 w/ Hybrid 150. I used to get an average of 90Mb/s, and now I get a stunning SpeedTest average of 30Mb/s. Within 4-hrs of installation of the modem and testing, I called in to complain, and asked that my former setup to be grandfathered back in, and they said "No."

I called up and bitched their phone jockeys out, going thru "Bryan", then "Vincent", until after 45 minutes and considerable cussing (my dinner was now cold) I finally got up to "Easton" in the management office. He tried to tell me that it just isn't possible to go back to my grandfathered plan, saying that I'd be best off with their "60 Megabyte" <sic> plan the Hybrid 60.

I asked him if he was sure, because doesn't he mean Megabit? He said no, that whatever the website says, "we always talk in megabytes when we talk about speeds".

After going off at him about the exponential difference between a megabit (signified by Mb) and a megabyte (signified by MB) I softly informed him that albeit I might know my rights, I won't be coming after him, directly. He blew it off, stating that he wanted to help, but they simply cannot revert my contract to the grandfathered plan.

He then went on about how it would be so much better with the 60, as I will be getting a whopping 350GB of download. Even though they list the 60 at 120GB. So the fabrications of "Easton" pile up, like such dietary detritus, whatever is a poor helpless consumer to do? So I immediately requested to escalate to the President's Office, but he then said how how he'll have to get them to call me back, "probably in a couple days". So now I'm spinning up to season (salt & pepper) the local noosphere with my proposal, all in the interests of getting Rogers to step back from its ill-advised disposition. After all, I did tell the customer service rep that I don't like being extorted into following their intended course of action, but why on earth does Rogers need to give consideration to the rumination of a lowly consumer?

I have made it abundantly clear that I will be satisfied with my old grandfather package w modem back, and nothing else.

This is a very clear before and after speedtest.

This is just an in-your-face picture suggesting the technical know-how of "Easton".

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you take a moment, to read the link the datalink posted, as well as my explanation above..

There is a REASON that your speeds are comming up slower.
Should this reason exist? No.. should they be fixing the hardware bug which is causing it? Yes.
But it is temporarily fixable...  the modem and the newer services.. are MORE than capable of providing what it promised and can do so (many of us here use that modem on the same or higher packages)... there just requires a bandaid inbetween so to speak.

---

I wont argue that there are some bad techs out there.. and ones that just dont have the training, or knowledge, and just give wrong information.. as was potentially what was given to you.

But again.. your problem IS fixable to to speak.
We have seen it before, and helped many others get their full speeds in their same scenario as you are in.

You can try and fight it as much as you want.. but the way the systems are designed.. it wont allow the old stuff to be set in.. period.. unless its manually manipulated from the back end. (which i have seen maybe happen.. once? and thats taking a persons word on it)
And in the end.. why would you?  That you would be paying MORE for the same speed vs the new package.. as well as being on modem which likely will start to suffer from congestion.  Again, when your speed issue is 'fixable'.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So let me think this through. I run on a MacBook Pro without gigabit...older unit.
If I hook to my giga bit switch and not to the CGN3, I'll get the full capability of my MBP otherwise something slower.
I'll check that out tonight.
Good info.
Kudos
Regards
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well.. not completely, this thread is a little old 🙂

If you DIDNT have a gigabit card in a device.. and it pluged directly into the CGN3.. you would top out at about 35mbps regardless of your package, etc.. even on an internal file transfer, etc.

BUT, with the latest firmware 4.2.4.5, this does appear to be resolved from the few people i have talked to.

So a 10/100 card should theoretically get a full max of 100

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok. I do have 4.2.4.5 firmware.
I'll do a test tonight.
1 through the router
2 through the switch
I'll let you know if there is any difference.
BTW, I getting much more reliability/better connection with G Channel 5 because of neighbours
rather than N. Channel 36
Not really a distance or "walls" issue.
Regards
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

"BTW, I getting much more reliability/better connection with G Channel 5 because of neighbours rather than N. Channel 36"

That is a little odd.  Only reason I can think of for that is that Channel 36 is the default 5 GHz channel for the CGN3, so possibly someone else nearby is running on that channel.  I would switch to channel 153 which has a higher allowable output power.  Don't have the numbers on hand, but I remember that the power output for 153 and up is higher.  That will help with range issues and penetration through walls.  If you load inSSIDer on a laptop you will be able to check out the wifi environment in your home, both 2.4 and 5 GHz.  With inSSIDer running you can see how crowded the channels are and determine if there is a better channel to use.  Usually, switching to a 5 GHz channel gets you out of the traffic jam in the 2.4 GHz band.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I used inSSIDer to determine best channels. Basically N has no others in the area.
inSSIDer Recommended, I think, 36.
I'll try the higher channel.
Oddly enough, my Apple TV , located the furthest and on the same lower level LOVES N.
I'll keep playing around.
Thanks for the info.

Discussion on channels and frequencies.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/179344-how-to-boost-your-wifi-speed-by-choosing-the-right-chann...
Regards