CGN3 Hitron Ethernet Problems

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CGN3 Hitron Ethernet Problems

Actually, i am overly familiar with network cards.. i am a sys admin, repair /work on PCs all day.. 
Am in the works to get my CCNA, etc... so yea, i know a little about them.

I was not saying for him to use the intel wireless, nor that it was HIS problem.

I was stating it, as an example.

That there is an issue with some intel cards, and their connectivity to some wireless routers/access points.

That by not updating the drivers on that card.. no matter if you changed the access point as you sugested.. may still run into issues.

The same could be possibly said, for the OP's wired card.

While replacing the access point, could fix the problem.. it may still have connectivity issues, like in the above example.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

Actually, i am overly familiar with network cards.. i am a sys admin, repair /work on PCs all day.. 
Am in the works to get my CCNA, etc... so yea, i know a little about them.

Well then, you'd be the first to admit that all hardware is not created equal. Without knowing the mobo make/model (would have helped) and chipset specs we're troubleshooting blind.

Best of luck completing your CCNA.......Smiley Happy

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, i explained in my first post he would have to look it up, and go through the MFG website to get new drivers for it, etc.
(Cant direct him any better without the make/model)

Looked around and there is a fair number of people with issues, mostly early win 7, with the realtek cards.. MOSTLY driver related... so that my be all thats needed.

A quick hardware swap, of card, router, or both, would likely help across the board.  But its up to the OP to descide which steps they want to take and in what order 🙂

I have had a myriad of issues with cards over the years.. even had one card, essendially DDOS the work network here (even with no HDD in it, would spam the network with packets and bring it to its knees).
I always keep a few NIC cards on hand, JUST incase 🙂

I'm Here A Lot

@Hogwash wrote:

Well, I'm not a big fan of workarounds when we need an actual fix BUT in this case your best option is to call Rogers and have them disable the wireless function (bridge mode) and get yourself a name brand 3rd party wireless router to add to your home network. In Bridge mode, the CGN3 will act as a modem only.

It's highly doubtful Rogers will improve the CGN3's Realtek compatibility any time soon (if it's even possible). A 3rd party router will solve this issue.

These Gateways have been a very bad idea from the beginning and hopefully we'll see standalone D3 modems offered in the near future for our use.

Hogwash, I'm sorry to tell you that Gdkitty WAS onto something when they suggested checking out updates, and tweaking the settings on my driver. It WAS NOT a hardware issue, simply a compatibility issue.

I solved the problem by going into the properties for the Realtek driver, and changing the Speed & Duplex from "Auto Negotiation", to 100 Mbps Half Duplex. As soon as I did that, it was working instantly. This suggestion was given to me by a co-worker at a computer support company I am co-oping at.

So, I really do appreciate the help you guys provided, they were great suggestions. However, I could have done without the smug execution in Hogwash's posts. I will be sure to post my solution to this problem whenever I see someone who is going through the same thing I had to deal with, because as much as I love Rogers, the Roger's support numbers, and even the "Techsperts" were not able to help me besides just jump to the conclusion that my ethernet port MUST be broken. Not much help for 15 dollars a month.

Again, thank you. 

I'm a Senior Contributor

@xAndroid wrote:
I solved the problem by going into the properties for the Realtek driver, and changing the Speed & Duplex from "Auto Negotiation", to 100 Mbps Half Duplex. As soon as I did that, it was working instantly. This suggestion was given to me by a co-worker at a computer support company I am co-oping at.

I will be sure to post my solution to this problem whenever I see someone who is going through the same thing I had to deal with, ........

Sadly it appears you were given some misleading advice.

You have basically crippled the 1000mbps connection to that particular device. While it may have made internet connection possible, it appears your course of action is not the recommended one, in most cases, and should definitely not be considered a SOLUTION to your issues.

http://superuser.com/questions/389013/what-happens-when-you-connect-100mbps-system-to-1000mbps-netwo...

Although it's a novel approach to solve the current issue, you will have to pay close attention to connection speeds and internet performance for that particular computer.

If at all possible please post your experiences with a speedtest at your convenience.

Sorry if I sounded 'Smug'. That was not my intent. I'm just very factual in my replies.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

We have set that before on a few machines at work.. And this is connecting Into $5000 Cisco or hp switches. Usually its stable, and the only way to get the stable connection.. But it does impact speed (though at the work setting 1gbps is not necessary at the moment), but more so latency.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

For Internet overall speed not having it at 1gbps shouldn't be the end of the world unless on say ultimate Internet package.

Still would highly recommending another card, would give better performance overall in the long run

I'm Here A Lot

@Hogwash wrote:

@xAndroid wrote:

I will be sure to post my solution to this problem whenever I see someone who is going through the same thing I had to deal with, ........

Sadly it appears you were given some misleading advice.

You have basically crippled the 1000mbps connection to that particular device. While it may have made internet connection possible, it appears your course of action is not the recommended one, in most cases, and should definitely not be considered a SOLUTION to your issues.

http://superuser.com/questions/389013/what-happens-when-you-connect-100mbps-system-to-1000mbps-netwo...

Although it's a novel approach to solve the current issue, you will have to pay close attention to connection speeds and internet performance for that particular computer.

If at all possible please post your experiences with a speedtest at your convenience.

Sorry if I sounded 'Smug'. That was not my intent. I'm just very factual in my replies.

I see where you're coming from because that was my concern too; but honestly, as the person said, I don't notice a difference at all loading webpages, streaming, or downloading. I have the extreme plus plan which is 45 mbps, and that is less than 100. I'll do fine.

I will still consider getting a different network card though. For now, having 100 mbps half duplex will suffice 🙂

I Plan to Stick Around

I have the same issue with my dell inspiron 15 which has the realtek card.

Did you resolve your issue?

I also has a internet settop box that has the same issue.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The only way he resolved the issue so far, was by droping down the settings to 100 1/2 duplex on his network card.

This could likely be done on yours.. but not likely on the internet box..

One thing to look at as well.. not sure if the CGN3 has the capability.. but look and see if the port settings can be done from inside the routers settings as well (i know the SMC it can).  You might be able to force it down that way.