CGN2 (or) CGN3 in Bridge mode?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

CGN2 (or) CGN3 in Bridge mode?

I moved back to a CGN2 and have used it in Bridge mode without any problems for a while now.  But ... I'd love to move to the hybrid plan for the faster upload speeds.  Except that I guess I need a CGN3 ... and I previously returned and dumped my CGN3 because I was having so many problems with it.

My question is this:  How is the CGN3 now to use in Bridge mode?  Have they fixed it up since it first came out?  Will I regret swapping my stable CGN2? 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CGN2 (or) CGN3 in Bridge mode?

There are a good number of people using the CGN3 in both Bridge and Gateway mode without any problems.  That is not to say that there aren't issues to deal with, as there are.  Have a read through my previous posting which summarizes the current state of affairs with the CGN3, and if you have any questions after that, post away:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/190...

I use a CGN3 with the 250 Mb/s plan, running in Gateway mode with the 5 Ghz wireless up and running and with an older DLink router set up as an access point on the other side of the house using 2.4 Ghz.  Don't have any problems at all.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Data.

If people are ok with it, i'll give it another go.  I had issues with it originally, but I also picked it up when it was brand new - so they've probably done some firmware updates I'm guessing.  Cheers!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There has been a firmware update issued.  When you first pick one up it will have firmware version 4.1.4.1 loaded.  Within about 4 to 5 days, version 4.2.4.3 will be uploaded to it.  Once that is done, run a factory reset on it.  The biggest problem is direct connections with a 10/100 Mb/s device.  If you have a gigabit port equiped router, firewall, or switch that can act as an intermediary device between the CGN3 and and 10/100 Mb/s devices that you want to use, you shouldn't have any issues with download / upload speeds.  As usual, your own router will have much better functionality when compared to the CGN3.

If you have problems there are people here who can help.  Usually running in Bridge mode and using your own router will solve many issues.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

My advice is to always use this device in Bridge mode.  As mentioned above the firmware issues have been fixed.  Here are some of the bugs/drawbacks that you may have when using the device in Gateway mode:

• Very slow speeds if you attach a 10/100 device
  • Can't forward some ports (like 8080)
  • It appears that you can only forward a limited number of ports
  • VOIP services often (always?) don't work without forwarding ports or using the DMZ.
  • Slow/buggy web UI.
  • No VPN capabilities in CGN3 UI.
  • No scheduling capabilities in CGN3 UI.
  • Can't install your own more fully featured firmware like Merlin, Tomato or dd-wrt.

The main advantage to Gateway mode is that it is much easier to access the web UI of the device which you still may want to do in Bridge mode (to check signal leavels, etc) but which is somewhat difficult.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The 10/100 bug, is present, REGARDLESS of mode... even when bridged.. best overall to AVOID a 10/100 device direct into it anyways then.

Web UI is no slower than most other UI's even in 3rd party ones i have used.  Only slower part, is when going from any screen which loads the DHCP lease table of connected devices.. it needs to FINISH loading it, before moving onto the next page.  When on other pages, it moves fine between them.

Really it comes down to the USER in the end, if bridge mode is necessary.
If you are an average joe user who only connects a few basic devices (PCs, phones, etc), never has to worry about port forwarding, etc.. and if the range is fine for that location.. yes its an easier setup.  It works fairly decently.
But, if you want extended range with wireless... or more options and advanced features.. yes you are better to go with a 3rd party modem.

Due to topography of the way my house network is laid out.. i have chosen to leave mine in gateway, moreso for the more ports where they are needed, not duplicating a 50ft run to run a connection back again, etc.
I have almost the full port set set up forwarding... but run two web server services from behind it, as well as an on demand FTP, and a number of other things, just fine... basic MAC filtering seems to work..

Everyone situation is different.

(wierd tho.. didnt realise 8080 was blocked... just tried it and your right... i am GUESSING if you have the unit OPEN to allow management from outside (BAD BAD IDEA), it likely is reserved for that?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Maybe things in the web UI are better now but it used to be really slow.  I could swear that even after the firmware upgrade that I still experienced some device crashes or freezes while using the web UI.  I have about ten IP cams in my house with ports forwarded on all of them.  I also forward ports for stuff like Plex, Air Video, WHS, SageTV web server, etc primarily to allow me to stream video from my home to wherever I am.

True that the 10/100 bug can affect you in Bridge mode but you generally don't plug devices into the CGN3 when is is in Bridge mode as you plug everything into your router or switches that go into your router.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Right.

But i just wanted to make sure that others were aware of it still being there.

You wouldnt want someone, with an only 10/100 wan port 3rd party Router (which there are a TON of out there still), to plug into the CGN3 in bridged.. and STILL experience the issue 🙂

I'm a Regular

you can keep the CGN2 on the Hybrid 60 if you want, but not on the higher speed packages... if you are totally WiFi, i think you will find that there is no point going any higher unless you use wireless N 300 technology to take advantage of faster downloads... on the other hand, if you need better than 10 on the upload or you need a higher bandwidth cap, then you'll need higher than the Hybrid 60 which means using the CGN3

Note: with 3 services you can get 320GB on the monthly bandwith usage  e.g. cable TV, cellular (wireless) and internet will give you an extra 200GB a month for any of the Hybrid plans... you have to request it, its not automatically applied

I've Been Around

so i just "upgraded" my modem to the cgn3 from the smc3gn( thinking this was a bad move). with the cgn3 i can not get my xboxes to get open nat, so i put in to bridge  mode using my dlink dir 810l ac router. i can get both xbox ones with open nat, but my speeds are not that great. I was able to get 45mb/s constantly with the old router in bridge mode, same setting on dlink.  now im lucky if i get 25mb/s download, is this common and is there a fix