CGN2 Bridge Mode. Do I turn of uPnP as well?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

CGN2 Bridge Mode. Do I turn of uPnP as well?

Hello all, I just got a new Netgear router (N750) for dirt cheap from a friend. I'll be putting it into bridge mode tonight with my CGN2 from Rogers. My quesiton is rather straightforward. Is it ideal to also uncheck uPnP from the diaglog boxes where I need to disable gateway functions as well? The Netgear will obviously have it's own uPnP feature, so I don't know if two will interfere with each other.

Also to add, I just replaced this CGN2 router from Rogers with a new one out of the box. Is it on it's current firmware? Should I not bridge it for a few days until it downloads the current one? I assume I can't keep it updated if I put it in Bridge mode. Thank you so much in advance!

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CGN2 Bridge Mode. Do I turn of uPnP as well?

When you kick the modem into Bridge mode, it acts as a modem only, so, any settings that are currently visisble on the modem will no longer have any effect or use.  Your router then has to do everything, so it will need to run in full router mode. 

Just a note, it looks like the original Netgear 4300 is at least 5 years old, with internal antenna, so the wifi performance will probably be no better than any of the Rogers modems.  Looking at the Wifi Alliance site, there are two versions of that router, the original and Version 2, which are nearly identical in terms of capabilities.  Appearance wise I think they are basically identical on the outside.  Given the security issues that have come up over the last two to three years, you will want to ensure that the firmware is up to date.  A search turns to the Netgear page for the Netgear 4300 N750 router.  Hitting the support link takes you to a page for the Netgear 4300V2 N750 router.  So, does that mean that the listed firmware is suitable for the original 4300, if that is what you might have?  An interesting question to say the least.  You might have to hit the Netgear forums to ask that question.  The current firmware for the 4300V2 is Firmware Version V1.0.0.32, with release notes dated Jan 5th 2016. 

Netgear page for the 4300:

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/wndr4300.aspx

As for the modem running in Bridge mode, there probably aren't any issues with the updates loading, but don't quote me on that one.  Its a pretty normal procedure to update the modems regardless of what mode they are running in. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When you kick the modem into Bridge mode, it acts as a modem only, so, any settings that are currently visisble on the modem will no longer have any effect or use.  Your router then has to do everything, so it will need to run in full router mode. 

Just a note, it looks like the original Netgear 4300 is at least 5 years old, with internal antenna, so the wifi performance will probably be no better than any of the Rogers modems.  Looking at the Wifi Alliance site, there are two versions of that router, the original and Version 2, which are nearly identical in terms of capabilities.  Appearance wise I think they are basically identical on the outside.  Given the security issues that have come up over the last two to three years, you will want to ensure that the firmware is up to date.  A search turns to the Netgear page for the Netgear 4300 N750 router.  Hitting the support link takes you to a page for the Netgear 4300V2 N750 router.  So, does that mean that the listed firmware is suitable for the original 4300, if that is what you might have?  An interesting question to say the least.  You might have to hit the Netgear forums to ask that question.  The current firmware for the 4300V2 is Firmware Version V1.0.0.32, with release notes dated Jan 5th 2016. 

Netgear page for the 4300:

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/wndr4300.aspx

As for the modem running in Bridge mode, there probably aren't any issues with the updates loading, but don't quote me on that one.  Its a pretty normal procedure to update the modems regardless of what mode they are running in. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@RTCanada wrote:

Also to add, I just replaced this CGN2 router from Rogers with a new one out of the box. Is it on it's current firmware? Should I not bridge it for a few days until it downloads the current one? I assume I can't keep it updated if I put it in Bridge mode. Thank you so much in advance!

***edited labels***

Modems can upgrade their firmware just fine when in bridged mode... 

Once upon a time, there were some modems with old firmware versions that had big bugs in bridge mode. That may be where the recommendation to run them in gateway mode until the update was pushed out came from...

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Perfect. So far so good. Managed to bridge it without any problems, and I have internet via my N750. On your question about my firmware on it, I do have the V2 of the router, and I do have the latest firmware. 1.0.0.32 I appreciate your concern on the matter!

One odd thing though, which I hope you can answer (not really related to my initial question for this topic so I apologize if this isn't the right place)

The LEDs on my CGN2 obviously correspond to what is happening to my now bridged N750. I've read the manual for it on the Citron website. The LAN 1 port is blinking blue which indicates that it's providing a connection to my router. But I had this mild instance around 2AM today where the green @ symbol wasn't lit along with my upstream LED (one beside the @) blinking blue. The manual didn't say anything about the up and downstream blue LEDs blinking..  Should I be concerned? Again I just got this new CGN2, maybe it was updating the firmware? My only guess, but that has nothing to do with upstream though does it? When it happened, I couldn't connect online, if that helps.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Blue Upstream and Downstream LEDs indicate  that the CGN2 is engaged in channel bonding on the upstream connection, according to the manual, which if my interpretation is correct means that the modem is using multiple channels bonded, or grouped together to transfer data back and forth.  Those LEDs should be on continuously.  The fact that they were blinking most likely indicates that the modem has lost that bond for whatever reason and has to re-establish those bonded channels in order to run properly.  Now, I think that 2:00 am is a time when network maintenance activities take place, so the fact that you saw that occur at that time doesn't surprise me.  If this is persistent, it might indicate that there is a problem with the modem signal levels.  That would be easy to determine.  You would have to kick the modem back into Gateway mode using the reset button at the back of the modem.  Log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS .... CM STATUS page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into the thread.  Those are the RG-6 cable signal levels, and if there is an issue with the levels, that will be seen in the table.  The copy and paste process will paste in the text contents of the tables, so you don't have to paste in a screen capture.  Once that is done, kick the modem back into Bridge mode, done......

If you do have any questions, don't hesitate to post them 🙂

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

So after my first weekend with my setup, I've ran into a couple problems. Unfortuntely I'm at work at the moment so I won't be able to paste the signal and power levels of my router as you suggested. I'll be doing that tonight though. Just to sum things up, I've been getting random disconnects this weekend at random times (not just 2AM anymore) some during the morning and afternoon. However, its not because of the channel bonding issue we discussed earlier, the modem looks totally fine (everything on, no blinking on up or down) so I'm safe to assume it's my router. Most of time it comes back within 5 minutes without me changing or resetting anything. However before leaving work today it did it again, this time I had to reset the modem for the internet to start.

This version (WNDR4300v2) was released in December 2014, so it's pretty modern. It has dual band 2.4/5Ghz channels. Obviously the CGN2 is rated as only 2.4Ghz, do you think that might be my source of my problems? I have the 5GHz mode enabled on my Netgear so it might be effecting the throughput of my modem. Anyways, I assume you can't really get a good insight until I post the levels. Thank you again for all the help. I'll give you the chart later tonight.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

RTCanada wrote:

This version (WNDR4300v2) was released in December 2014, so it's pretty modern. It has dual band 2.4/5Ghz channels. Obviously the CGN2 is rated as only 2.4Ghz, do you think that might be my source of my problems? I have the 5GHz mode enabled on my Netgear so it might be effecting the throughput of my modem. Anyways, I assume you can't really get a good insight until I post the levels. Thank you again for all the help. I'll give you the chart later tonight.

No. When you put the CGN2 in bridge mode, its wifi functionality is turned off and it is communicating with your Netgear router over the Ethernet cable between the two. Having a dual-band router plugged into a bridged modem that would be single-band if it wasn't bridged should not cause any compatibility issues...