CAN I USE MY OWN MODEM?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: CAN I USE MY OWN MODEM?

As datalink said.. if you having those issues, its likely something else causing it, and not the modem itself.

There are many of us on here using the 100-250 plans, with that modem, and not having any issues at all getting those speeds.

If its a signal (local or further out), node issue in the area, etc, you could have the same issues, regardless of which modem your using.

I Plan to Stick Around

Replace Hitron with Stand-alone DOCSIS 3.1?

Is there an option to get a stand-alone DOCSIS 3.1 modem vs using the Hitron in bridge mode?   Have nothing but issues with the modem, and wanted to see if swapping it with something like a Motorola MB-8600 or if Rogers has a dedicated 3.1 modem would help.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@PVC wrote:

Replace Hitron with Stand-alone DOCSIS 3.1?

Is there an option to get a stand-alone DOCSIS 3.1 modem vs using the Hitron in bridge mode?   Have nothing but issues with the modem, and wanted to see if swapping it with something like a Motorola MB-8600 or if Rogers has a dedicated 3.1 modem would help.

There are no Rogers-offered alternatives to the Hitron gateways.

I have not heard of anyone who has successfully lobbied Rogers to let them use their own modems.

Its their way, or the highway.

I've Been Here Awhile

I was wondering if Rogers would provision a compatible modem? If so, how is it done?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not a Rogers staffer, but, I believe the answer to that one will be no.  At one point in time, about four years ago, you could buy a Hitron CGN3 modem which is an Intel Puma 6 modem and run that modem on the network.  I suspect that there are customers who are still using that modem.  That program has long ended and Rogers now includes the modems in the internet pricing plans.  I don't know if its possible these days to acquire one of these CGN3 modems and have it provisioned for service on the network.  If so, thats probably the only way that you would be allowed to run a privately owned modem on the network.  Fwiw, these are the same modems that TPIAs are allowed to use.  My guess is that Rogers has probably sold off a good number of these to the TPIAs. 

These days, Rogers is using 32 channel DOCSIS 3.1 modems for their new modems which include Arris XB6 and Hitron CODA-4582 modems which are Intel Puma 7 chipsets , and the Technicolor CGM-4140s, which are Broadcom BCM-3390 chipset modems.  My guess is that Rogers is probably withdrawing the slightly older DOCSIS 3.0 24 channel modems, which is what the Hitron CGN3xxx modems are, Hitron built, Intel designed Puma 6 24 channel modems.

So, its possible that Rogers now has a policy in place where the only modems allowed for Rogers customers are DOCSIS 3.1 modems, which are supplied and approved by Rogers.  Even if you had one of the older CGN3 modems on hand, its possible that you couldn't get it provisioned for network use as a Rogers customer, if you were trying to do this for the first time.  Existing (CGN3) customers would be grandfathered in, allowing them to continue to use those modems for some period of time, don't know that that might be.