CAN I USE MY OWN MODEM?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: CAN I USE MY OWN MODEM?

@mahomed wrote:

I would NEVER want to buy a Hitron modem outright.  The last group of modems they have all had firmware updates that were needed to work correctly.  Even their latest offering is still work in progress.

Think of it this way:  If you buy a modem outright, YOU have to chase after Hitron to fix modem issues and hope they resolve them quickly.

Whereas with Rogers owning 1000's of these devices across the province/country, if they want something fixed, Hitron/Intel will work hard at keeping a Billion $$ company happy vs just a few "squeaky" customers (myself included).

@Having worked in the Telcom space with Application Engineers, I can tell you that it is no picnic and I really appreciate @RogersDave and the folks at Rogers for pushing for fixes and working with their customer base online.  

To me, the cost of the modem rental (which is included in the price or provided to customers for free depending on your tenure with Rogers) is worth it comparing to have to deal with the companies for fixes.  Also keep in mind, that with a Rental, you are getting "unlimited" warranties on the item.  That means that if there is a modem issue, you can get a free replacement and not worry about warranty duration.  If you own the hardware, you have to deal with any warranty issues.

My suggestion is to those who want to get deals is to talk to cancellations/loyalty or the office of the president and they can extend you better offers compared to  what most sales reps can do.

I have been with Rogers for over 30 years.  Do you think they will reduce my monthly fee for the modem rental?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@James_Greene:  Your overall cable bill is almost always negotiable. As a long-term customer, you certainly have some leverage. What is typically more important is how much you're paying overall - indirectly related to how many services you have.

Many people who have several services typically can negotiate an overall reduction of 10-30% of the overall bill if you're willing to commit to staying with Rogers for 1-2 more years. Don't get hung up on modem rental charges, rather think about your overall bill because sometimes Rogers have promotions (that you don't necessarily know about) that may provide for a lower overall bill by lowering say the price of home phone, etc.

Put a reminder in your calendar to renegotiate about a month before your "contract" (commitment) expires.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the advice.  I was previously getting a bundle discount on both my internet and tv. But when I upgraded my internet package, I lost the bundle discounts.  I will try your suggestion and see what Rogers can do for me.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Odd, usually you can go to HIGHER internet packages without loosing bundle discounts.
(unless those specific ones are tied to specific plans)

I would give @CommunityHelps a shout, or rogers on twitter or facebook.  Those guys are great at looking at stuff.
There may be some NEW bundle deal that they can look at which will work with your current plans.

I've Been Here Awhile

I have the same issue as you plus the last modem router that offered by rogers is not working well at all. how ever it seems to have DOCSIS3.1 but its not a good one. I d like to but just a modem alone and connect it to a router to have a really beeter coverage and speed.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@NaderB, there is nothing stopping you from buying and installing your own router.  I've run the modem in Bridge mode with a follow-on router for several years and probably avoided a lot of headaches as a result.  That combination has been rock solid for me, so, no complaints on my end.  But, if there is a DOCSIS 3.1 issue at your home, it won't matter what mode the modem is running in, Gateway or Bridge mode. 

I've Been Here Awhile

while your last modem-router use DOCSIS 3.1 technology and the Netgear release the same technology on some cables modem can I use Netgear cable modem with DOCSIS 3.1 ? If not what is the reason?

Nader

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@NaderB I can't speak for Rogers regarding their policy decisions.  Put simply, Rogers has decided not to support any other modem beyond what they supply.  On the engineering side I can see that makes sense as it keeps the testing time and cost down to a minimum, and given that Rogers updates their modems, ensures that the modems supplied to the customers are updated.  There are MSOs in the U.S. that allow customer owned modems, but, the MSO won't update them, so the customer has no ability to ensure that security updates are completed.  So, there is no easy answer here, just pointing out a couple of things to consider.  If you're looking for an answer, you're going to have to pose that question to the moderators. 

I've Been Here Awhile

I do not want the router modem from rogers because its not working well, this is the third time that I change the device but still I have problem. I have ignite 250 and last night download speed was 10 megabyte. so I believe the rogers modem is not a good one, therefore why I have to pay for some devices like that. I d like to buy a device which dosent give me headache.

Are you familiar with a modem list which are working with Rogers?

Nader 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, with the current plans, there are no modems that you can purchase and run on Rogers network as long as you are a Rogers customer.  If you were a TPIA provider customer, then yes, you can buy your own modem, but, you won't be eligible for the gigabit rates that Rogers offers.  You can subscribe to lesser rates thru a TPIA provider and buy your own modem.  In terms of Rogers modems, yes, I am familiar with them.  In terms of what modem would I prefer, that would be the CODA-4582, CGNM-3552 and CGN3ASCMR, in that order.  

As for the problems that you are currently experiencing, if you're willing to provide the signal level data, I can have a look at them and see if there is a signal level issue that might be the cause of the problem.  If so, log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN tab, highlight, or select the text within the Downstream table, all the way to the last text character at the bottom of the table.  Right click and copy that data.  You can then paste it into a post and it should look like the original table.  

If you don't want to do that, call tech support and ask the Customer Service Rep to run a signal check on your modem and let him or her know that you're experiencing low data rates.  

Are you experiencing low data rates on ethernet connected devices, wifi connected devices or both?