CAN I USE MY OWN MODEM?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

CAN I USE MY OWN MODEM?

HI,

CAN I USE MY OWN HOME NETWORKING MODEM INSTEAD OF ROGERS SMC MODEM. I AM PAYING $ 5.50 EVERY MONTH AS A RENTAL FEES. I WANT TO SAVE THIS MONEY.

THANKS

MAJID

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: CAN I USE MY OWN MODEM?

You can only use one of the few Rogers approved modems. Rogers has quite a few Docsis 2 approved modems in the list, but officially does not support any Docsis 3 standalone modems. However, there are a few cases where some people were able to activate through CSRs or Consumer Relations agents Docsis 3 modem.

I, personally, tried to activate Motorola 6120, an agent in Consumer relations confirmed that this modem is supported, however modems MAC was not recognized by the Rogers system due to the fact that it was manufactured for US market. I was told that there is a slight chance that they can further escalate this request so that MAC address would be added manually to the database of supported modems but was told that it would take a while.

So, for now if you are using current Rogers internet plans you cannot use your own modem. the fact that you are renting a modem for 5.50 sounds like you are on grandfathered Docsis 2 plan. You can buy this modem out but I would not recommend it as you most likely will upgrade to Docsis 3 speeds in the nearest future.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As TeDD13 said, there are only select ones that are allowed, ones that are/where allowed on their system (present or past).

The more current D3 based ones, are not able to (like the moterola SB ones he described).

The only option currently would be to BUY one of the current D3 gateways, (which can be turned off, and turned just into a modem).

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hitron CDA3-35 / CODA

I'm wondering if I buy this modem, can I swap it out.  I'm currently on the 250u  250/20

I dislike the fact that rogers doesn't offer the option to just buy a modem w/o the built in wifi/router. I have mine in bridge mode.  It's just a waste of money for the extra features that i'll never use as I have my Asus router that is far better then any of these 2-in-1 deals.

Here's the modems;

CDA3-35

http://www.hitron-americas.com/product/cda3-35/

CODA

http://www.hitron-americas.com/product/coda/

This modem is good for DOCSIS 3.1 up to (2.5Gbps) using 2x2 bonded.  Also that it's black and I can mount it on the wall.

If we can not use these modems why would the rogers team not want to offer people a cheaper hardware option w/o the wifi/router?

I's say let do a poll and you'll see there's alot of customers wanting this sort of setup.  Guys reply to this thread if you'd like rogers to offer a modem only option!

I'm a Regular

Sure count me in

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I would NEVER want to buy a Hitron modem outright.  The last group of modems they have all had firmware updates that were needed to work correctly.  Even their latest offering is still work in progress.

Think of it this way:  If you buy a modem outright, YOU have to chase after Hitron to fix modem issues and hope they resolve them quickly.

Whereas with Rogers owning 1000's of these devices across the province/country, if they want something fixed, Hitron/Intel will work hard at keeping a Billion $$ company happy vs just a few "squeaky" customers (myself included).

Having worked in the Telcom space with Application Engineers, I can tell you that it is no picnic and I really appreciate @RogersDave and the folks at Rogers for pushing for fixes and working with their customer base online.  

To me, the cost of the modem rental (which is included in the price or provided to customers for free depending on your tenure with Rogers) is worth it comparing to have to deal with the companies for fixes.  Also keep in mind, that with a Rental, you are getting "unlimited" warranties on the item.  That means that if there is a modem issue, you can get a free replacement and not worry about warranty duration.  If you own the hardware, you have to deal with any warranty issues.

My suggestion is to those who want to get deals is to talk to cancellations/loyalty or the office of the president and they can extend you better offers compared to  what most sales reps can do.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers is trying to LIMIT the number of devices they have.  The more different models they allow, the more different firmware, manufacturers, etc that they have to deal with, the more possible difficulties.

That they dont offer a modem only option?
Again, keep the number of models down.

That they can release the current ones, that you can bridge them to use them as just a modem.

Some will say it would be a cost difference.  In most cases at least for all the models in the past.. comparing a modem only and gateway of the same series, etc, that it was maybe $20odd difference.  Not an overly different price.

Buying one now, other than it would be your own.. would really not save/do much.
It still needs to be loaded with the ROGERS firmware to work on their system.
As well that all the plans the modem is built into the price.. not a seperate line item, there would be no savings.
(when they first switched over to these plans with modem included, the plan $ generally went down a few vs before with renting seperately)

I Plan to Stick Around

Using my own modem/router

Hi,

I just recently upgrades my internet package to the "Rogers Ignite 30".  It's $69.99 per month.  Included in the price is the modem rental charge of $8.  Can I buy my own modem and therefore save the $8 charge.  Apparently, the modem has to be a compatible model with this package?  So I'm not sure what models are available and how much they actually cost.  Or would it be better just to keep renting the modem which seems to be a waste of money in the long run.

Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@James_Greene:

Your post was probably moved to this thread. There are several other similar threads on the topic, but basically you are not allowed to bring your own modem to any of the new Rogers internet packages, for the reasons stated in this and other threads.  You can place the Rogers Modem/Router into bridge mode and use your own router though because many people don't find the Rogers product acceptable.

Even though the modem charge is listed as a separate line item, Rogers will not refund that money, so you pay the same either way.

I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

@James_Greene:

Your post was probably moved to this thread. There are several other similar threads on the topic, but basically you are not allowed to bring your own modem to any of the new Rogers internet packages, for the reasons stated in this and other threads.  You can place the Rogers Modem/Router into bridge mode and use your own router though because many people don't find the Rogers product acceptable.

Even though the modem charge is listed as a separate line item, Rogers will not refund that money, so you pay the same either way.

Thanks for the quick response.