Buy a new non-rogers cable modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Retired Moderator RogersHemal
Retired Moderator

Re: Buy a new non-rogers cable modem

@

I do see this growing trend on other forum posts as well.  I will look into this and get a answer for our community.  Thanks again. 

I've Been Here Awhile

any updates?

Retired Moderator RogersHemal
Retired Moderator

@community

We are able to add a 3rd party modem regardless of the origin of purchase.  Motorola SB5101 and SB5100 can all be added.  The Motorola 6120 DOCSIS3 is not a supported modem so we are not able to add this modem to any account.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, we have already been told this - that Motorola SB5101 and SB5100 can all be added.  However, it does not change the fact that when people call in they are told by the CSR that it cannot be added. Are the CSRs now on board to add these without giving customers the same old song and dance that the modem is "not in our database" so we cannot add it?

Speaking of the Motorola 6120 DOCSIS3 modem, why is it not supported? Considering all of the problems caused by SMC modems, you would think that Rogers would support this one in order to create customer satisfaction!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Buy a new non-Rogers cable modem

@RogersHemal

Are you telling us the CSRs will now accept a  MAC address that the customer supplies  and will actually place that address in the database which will allow the customer to use the modem he purchased from a third party supplier?  

This is the exact point people have been complaining about.   In this forum,  you and other moderators say no problem to add a third party modem.   People follow your advise,  buy a modem,  and CSR will not add it.    This latest statement you have made is still pretty vague and does not provide any background as to what has been done to make SURE that the CSRs will comply.

We need a definitive statement from Rogers  stating that CSRs are now up to speed on adding modems,  that they know how to do it,  and that they will do it without giving the customer a hard time,  and refuse to do it. 

Everybody at Rogers should be on the same page on this issue.   it looks very bad when one group (YOU and other moderators) says one thing,  and another group (CSR) will NOT do what YOU say they will do.

Please advise

Skutflut

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Buy a new non-Rogers cable modem

@RogersHemal

Is there a procedure/steps as to how to go about getting your 3rd party modem added to your account?

Which department do we ask for?

thanks

I've Been Around

@ Rogers Hemal

I have Express and I just called up Rogers Customers Service to register my Toshiba PCX2500 modem. I was told they cannot add it. What can I do next to get it registered?

Thanks

I'm a Senior Advisor

I would not expect a whole lot of help here. On the one hand, we are told that certain modems can be added. On the other hand, when you call in to have them added, the CSRs say NO. It seems to me that the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. If certain modems can be added, as stated by RogersHemal, why is this not communicated to the department that is supposed to add them? Why are so many customers experiencing so much grief? I wish you luck jkl2005 in getting your modem added. Please let us know if you are successful. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi RogersHemal,

I called into Rogers to get my 3rd party Motorola SB5101 and the CSRs wont activate the modem. Your posting seems to suggest that it is possible to get the modem activated. Can you help me with this?
I'm a Senior Advisor

RogersHemal seems to have mysteriously disappeared. But that is the frustration. According to Hemal, you can the hard drive, but the CSRs will not add them. Another Roger's employee contradicted Hemal and said only if it was in Rogers' inventory could it be added.  Bottom line - we are still wondering what the hell is going on!