Buy a new non-rogers cable modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Buy a new non-rogers cable modem

According to RogersHemal, the answer to that would be NO!  Rogers is apparently only supporting the **bleep** SMC modems, although some people have been fortunate enough to have other modems registered by Rogers. This is a real hassle though and there are many who have bought 3rd party modems only to be told by Rogers that they cannot be registered. So what most do is to have the SMC modem put in bridge mode and then attach their own router. 

I've Been Around

I am pretty sure they won't use the d3 sb modems due to them already being hacked long ago.

I've Been Here Awhile

So, is there any option to either buyig a non rogers modem and using it, as I don't want to pay $150 for a modem that is overpriced, and I am n ot paying an extra $1 a month rental fee for a alreayd out of date modem

Retired Moderator RogersHemal
Retired Moderator

@edlui420

Yes you can purchase the Scientific Atlanta DPC2100 from a 3rd party seller.  This modem is a Docsis 2.0 modem which will work fine on our network (Express service or lower).  Once you do purchase this device you can then call 1888ROGERS1 to speak with our customer care to have this modem bounded to your account.

The key though is that if you want Extreme or higher, the DOCSIS 2 modem is no good. Then you are forced to get the SMC piece of junk and then when you try to deal with a Rogers tech to explain how the router does not work properly, they will suggest you change the channel or some such thing and of course the router will still not work properly. In all my emails to Rogers, trying to get someone there to admit that the SMC was no good - well it's like trying to take candy from a kid!

I've Been Around

I am little confused on model of Motorola modem, in Rogers website only list Motorola SB5100, SB5101, and SB5120, but some retailer say also SB5101N be supported by Rogers, is that correct?

Retired Moderator RogersHemal
Retired Moderator

@cy

I would advise to stick with either SB5100, SB5101, and SB5120 if you do plan to purchase a Docsis 2.0 modem.  The SB5101N is a modem that should technically work on our network but is sold to work on Tekksavvy.

I've Been Around

How about the Zoom DOCSIS 3.Cable Modem 0
http://www.agileelectronics.ca/prod_details/tab/details.asp?prod_id=5341-02-00G

WIll Rogers deign to allow or do I call Bell?

I am pretty sure Rogers will not allow it.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersHemel

Is it possible that one of the Moderators can meet with Rogers CSR dept and get some sort of standard policy established regarding adding compatible modems  such as the Motorola SB 5100 series?  

In several threads,  either you or one of your fellow moderators have stated  clearly that Rogers does allow alternate approved DOCSIS 2 modems to be added, but as you can read from several forum members,   this does NOT appear to be the case when they phone and try to actually get one added.

Rogers is not the only source for this hardware, and the CSRs are taking the position that if the modem SN does not appear in the Rogers database,  then they will just not add it to the system.    You are stating the exact opposite. 

How about getting this policy clarified once and for all so that people do not end up wasting their money based on the advise received from Rogers employees / moderators in this forum.   

It doesn't make sense for one person at Rogers to say one thing and another to say the exact opposite.