Brutal latency/ping Recently

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Brutal latency/ping Recently

I live in the Woodbridge area and absolutely nothing has changed for me since March despite being told that they are working on splitting the node I am connected to.  I understand these things take time but paying full price for a subpar service is not right.

All these tests below are done through a wired connection.  I bought brand new CAT-8 cables thinking maybe the cable I was using was not that great but it did not help in the slightest.  I am at a loss on what more I can do besides waiting for Rogers to finally split my node.  Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.  

Ping to the CMTS:

CMTS.JPG

Ping to Rogers IPV4 address.  This is where things have been ugly since March:

IPV4IPV4

Highlighted

Hi @raymond111

Thank you for your post and for your ping test results, I know how upsetting it can be to deal with this type of issue, especially if it's been ongoing for several months. 

We would like to run additional tests with you.

Please reach out to us via PM @CommunityHelps so we can gather account info and take a closer look at the situation. 

If you're not familiar with our private messaging system, please click here to learn more.

Awaiting your reply.

RogersRob

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I ran this ping test overnight from my computer I may run another from one of my linux server's in a tmux session to make sure it can't get interrupted.

Which ip's do you recommend tracerouting/pinging?

Spoiler
Ping statistics for 99.228.142.1:
Packets: Sent = 37694, Received = 37589, Lost = 105 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 507ms, Average = 10ms

I have also noticed consistent packet loss within Fortnite anywhere between 3-10% however ping stays low, I have talked to some friends on Rogers and they seem to be having a similar issue with just this game, people I have talked to who are on Bell and Cogeco do not have this issue and they can notice me lagging around the game.

I am unsure what IP's Fortnite uses so I am unsure what to ping 

Spoiler

My internet also dropped yesterday October 15 2020 from around 11:25 AM till 11:28 AM according to my pfSense logs, I was on a video call at the time and everything dropped and I also noticed it dropped last night from 2:09 AM to 2:12 AM I was wondering if you could get any logs on your side to explain what was going on, I tried contacting Twitter support but they did not seem to want to help as they did not understand what I was asking

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi, I can confirm I am using an ethernet connection straight from the modem to my PC.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Since I am getting extreme packet loss and I am connected by ethernet, does anyone have any suggestions as to what the possible solution is?

I read earlier in the forum that you could ask for a tier II tech, but I am wondering if there are any tips or what the proper etiquette is when communicating with Rogers as to how to ask for that.

Thanks for any help that can be offered!

Highlighted

Greetings @stepy2015 and @reddenaltmer1,

Thanks for the replies! 🙂

@stepy2015, we may need to run some additional testing to help further pinpoint the issue. Can you kindly send us a PM via @CommunityHelps to get started? For more information on how our Private Messaging system works, please check out our blog.

@reddenaltmer1, as per post #833 from @RogersMoin, did you have a chance to review our Internet Knowledge Base article Troubleshooting Latency (Wired Devices) to see the instructions on how to obtain and post the ping & traceroute results to google.com and your gaming server? The results can help us isolate the issue. Please remember to remove the IP address from the first and second hop as this is your personal IP address and should not be shared in a public forum.

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I'm experiencing random packet loss on my ethernet connect so (after having a tier 2 tech and riser repair team unable to help me on multiple occassions) I switched to wifi, which doesn't seem to be effected, and now I'm getting random ping and lag spikes. Thinking of switching to Bell as they just installed brand new equipment in my building, because my experience with Rogers since March has been disgustingly bad.
Highlighted

Hey @Shakeshaft

Welcome to our Rogers Community Forums and congrats on your first post with us! 😊 I know how frustrating it can be dealing with latency issues. I'm sorry to hear about the experience you're having and we'd love for you to stay! Latency can be tricky to diagnose but we can learn a lot from a ping test and traceroute. Have you had the chance to have a look at this article, Troubleshooting Latency (Wired Devices) posted by @RogersAndy? It's super helpful! 

Feel free to post your results so we can gain some insight. Kindly remember to remove the IP address from the first and second hop as this is your personal IP address and should not be shared in a public forum. If the issue persists, we may need to run some additional testing to help further pinpoint the issue. Looking forward to hearing from you! 

Regards, 

RogersJo