cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brutal latency/ping Recently

t27c
I plan to stick around

I am wired, with the gigabit package and all of the sudden have gotten constant ping spikes for over the last few days. I haven't been able to play any games online because the crazy ping spikes and latency make it completely unplayable. My speeds are what they are expected to be, no issues there. I have tried hard wiring straight into the modem but alas, the issue still persists. I have tried switching cables, power cycling my devices, factory resetting my devices. The issue still persists. I have called and contacted Rogers multiple times and they say everything seems fine on their end. But still, the issue persists and is steady. resulting in me not able to use any of my gaming devices due to the brutal and constant ping spikes. It's frustrating paying over $100 a month for internet I cant use for the things I want it for. Any help or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you

*** Edited Labels ***

956 REPLIES 956

Re: Brutal latency/ping Recently

Almost every day evening, my ping will be high in 3 digits, works great during day time. On saturday evenings, its horrible. Internet drops, pings at 500ms, ping timeout etc. Its clearly congestion. 

What i dont understand is it was great from last 1.5 years. 

contacted tech support, they cant see modem, reboot. reset - back up online- They saw some issue will send tech

Tech shows up, everything good outside

same issues in weekens and evenings, call tech support, want to change modem- ok great

modems are back ordered, 10-15 business days. I work from home, so yes its great again. 

One more tech shows up, he says the fiber-coax is the issue, i cant come in to house- i can understand. 

Ok enough of this, I have bell fiber in my condo. Calling bell tomorrow. 

super_robot
I plan to stick around

Rogers is shooting themselves in the foot by being silent about the ongoing issues

chemical1
I plan to stick around

The thing that really makes me angry is when you call in and they say no problems in your area.  I told the last person I talked to to note that your very own forums have pages of complaints and I asked them to note it in the call.  Going from a 30 ping to a server to 120 is ridiculous.

Taab
I plan to stick around

@chemical1 Talk to OOP, trust me it's much better. I even escalated to CCTS and my node is finally being segemented on May 29th. 

super_robot
I plan to stick around

Oh Rogers...

Pinging www.google.ca [2607:f8b0:400b:802::2003] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 2607:f8b0:400b:802::2003: time=22ms
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 2607:f8b0:400b:802::2003: time=40ms

Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:400b:802::2003:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 2, Lost = 2 (50% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 22ms, Maximum = 40ms, Average = 31ms

lethalsniper
I'm an enthusiast
Who’s OOP ? And CCTS ?

chemical1
I plan to stick around

When that was mentioned I assumed it meant the Ombudsman of Rogers? I think....

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/ombudsman

Jamulus Live Performance Portal

Hello out there,

I am a musician now working from home as there are no venues open.  I am working with a live performance portal call “Jamulus” to practice with my band mates and also jam with other musicians in almost real time.  The musicians I am currently working with are in Toronto and I live in Ottawa.  Three of five are able to connect (they are on Bell Fibe) without too much latency and can rehearse and collaborate in almost real time, one can’t connect due to hardware and tech issues and then there is me.  I am on Rogers ignite 500. I am able to connect however my connection to the dedicated music server has a high latency / delay of 80ms making real time playing unworkable.  A trace from the host server to my IP address shows 13 hops (servers) where the others are only going through three.  How can I reduce the latency issue?  Can I manually select a more direct route to the dedicated server (on Bell Fibe).  Can I use a different router or hub to bypass the Rogers modem Ignite modem?  Will a VPN work?

Hope someone out there can direct me to a solution. Hungry to get back to the jam… 

super_robot
I plan to stick around

@lethalsniper 

OOP is office of the president

CCTS - Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services. You can file a complaint against Rogers here.

I don't want to jinx anything but it looks like Rogers has been busy behind the scenes.

First of all, they have readdressed the section of the network that I am connected to.  (They were previously using an address range from the 99.224.0.0/11 CIDR block, now from 173.32.0.0/14)

More importantly, latency on ping tests is waay down, with a deviation of only 2.8 ms from the mean of 11.8 ms:

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
3600 packets transmitted, 3600 received, 0% packet loss, time 3603974ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 6.903/11.840/81.653/2.841 ms

Only 25 (of 3600) pings had a RTT of 50 ms or higher.

I'll test again later today but this is the best that I have seen things in quite a while.

AngryChicken
I plan to stick around

Where are you located?  Your good news has gotten me all tingly! 😉

Wow, things got even better this evening:

3600 packets transmitted, 3600 received, 0% packet loss, time 3604065ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 6.506/11.772/46.741/2.381 ms

I'm cautiously optimistic.

lethalsniper
I'm an enthusiast
When I ping 8.8.8.8 my highest I get is 150 ms

ekamins
I've been here awhile

High latency 2nd hop

Hi, over the past 5-6 months I've been experiencing really high jitter especially during the day. I have a wired connection and a hitron CGN3 CODA-4582U, I've had multiple technicians come to visit, and rogers has sent me a new modem as well(it was scratched up and didn't even work upon arrival), the issue is a lot less noticeable at night as well.

319b9fb19dcd87dbbd01d64a6e27fd67

As you can see, the latency is really high in the second hop. I get the same results on any device in my home, and it's not exclusive to ping plotter, I've been trying to fix this issue for a while now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello, @ekamins

Thanks so much for posting your concerns in our Community. I know how frustrating it is trying to game online when you are dealing with latency issues, it can really ruin the experience.

We have been tracking these types of issues and escalating them to our networking teams to investigate what is happening and find a solution. Please send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can gather your info and get started. Not familiar with our private messaging system? No worries, Click Here.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

RogersTony

Really? I have sent a private message 3 weeks to a month ago with it not being resolved yet which it’s a joke .. and I’m sure there are people here who waiting longer .. you guys at Rogers need to get your act together that’s all I read from u guys the same response over and over with still no improvements.. I think it’s time to contact the ombudsman of Rogers @RogersTony

Over the last few days, I've been seeing a bit more jitter (so something appears to have changed again) but I also haven't seen ping RTTs spike above 65 ms either.

AngryChicken
I plan to stick around

I won't go into many details, but I have a good news story.  I brought the network congestion issues up with the community help reps here and ultimately my neighbourhood network issues were escalated and Rogers took full ownership of the issue.  The end result is that our node will be segmented, and while it is a 6-month long process I am willing to be patient, particularly as internet service will likely improve anyway as government restrictions around the current COVID-19 pandemic gradually loosen.

Taab
I plan to stick around
6 months? Hate to break it to you but my node is getting segmented tomorrow. The date was set approximately a month ago. You shouldn't have to wait 6 months for your node to get segmented.

AngryChicken
I plan to stick around

Every neighbourhood is different.  I'd rather them under promise and over deliver.  

@AngryChicken wrote:

Every neighbourhood is different.  I'd rather them under promise and over deliver.  

Some folks around here have become understandably jaded and pessimistic, particularly those who have been waiting a long time for the issues affecting them to get resolved.

Thankfully, whatever had been causing the extreme latency spikes in my area seems to have been fixed.

1000 packets transmitted, 1000 received, 0% packet loss, time 1000450ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 5.347/10.988/27.101/2.036 ms