Brutal latency/ping Recently

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
t27c
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Brutal latency/ping Recently

I’ve been doing the same since I launched this post in early 2020. Unfortunately Bell doesn’t offer anything higher than 50Mbps in my area. But my gaming works flawlessly with Bell with no latency issues whatsoever. It’s unfortunate Rogers isn’t able to fix the latency issue that’s been plaguing their network for almost 2 years now. For now I guess I’ll be paying for both until I move lol
stepy2015
I Plan to Stick Around

Unfortunately I (and many others) cannot afford to do that. Bell doesn't offer good speeds in our area either 

HC19
I've Been Here Awhile

This has been happening to me for a long time now and i have absolutely no idea why.

I have my rogers modem on bridge mode and I have an Eero.

I'm on a 1gb internet plan with Rogers

i'm getting around 120 mbps down on wifi and my ping is constantly spiking to 1000+

It happens during the day and it happens at night so i don't think it's just the occasional throttling.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unless your area is oversold, there shouldnt be any 'throttling' which really isnt throttling either, its that there is too many people on one node and it cant handle the load, its like a bathtub draining, you can only let so many people down the drain at one time.

Do you have a device, in which you are able to do the tests WIRED to the modem itself?
Just to see if the modem is able to get those speeds at that time.
As it may be an issue with the wireless then.

testlin
I've Been Here Awhile

The bufferbloat is much worse with the new ignite modem replacement I got today. It went from a grade of C to F https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=eebda29a-8ff6-4c29-82d2-dfd2e38e0e68.

I'm noticing more lags in my gaming experience.

Does the firmware have Smart Queue Management implemented?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@testlin wrote:

The bufferbloat is much worse with the new ignite modem replacement I got today. It went from a grade of C to F https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=eebda29a-8ff6-4c29-82d2-dfd2e38e0e68.

I'm noticing more lags in my gaming experience.

Does the firmware have Smart Queue Management implemented?

No, no SQM.  The XB6 and XB7 gateways also do not have the CPU power needed to implement SQM and sustain the full subscribed speed of even the 500u service.  Users also already complain about fan noise, even when the gateway's CPU is not under any load.

However, if you enable Bridge Mode on the Ignite gateway and enable (and correctly configure) SQM your own router, you can improve things significantly for latency-sensitive applications while the network is under load:

Ignite-SQM_enabled.jpg

testlin
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for you reply. That's really not ideal for a typical user though. Could you point me to a guide for enabling bridge mode on the ignite modem and how to check if a router supports SQM?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@testlin wrote:

Thanks for you reply. That's really not ideal for a typical user though. Could you point me to a guide for enabling bridge mode on the ignite modem and how to check if a router supports SQM?

Enabling Bridge Mode is easy:  Just go to http://10.0.0.1 , log into your router, and enable Bridge Mode.  Of course, do this only AFTER you have installed and configured your own router.

If you also have Ignite TV, beware that Rogers will not be able to provide you with any support in this configuration.  You will also be responsible for providing flawless Wi-Fi coverage within your home on your own.  If you require any level of support from Rogers, you really are best off running your Ignite gateway in a normal, standard configuration, with Bridge Mode disabled.

As for which routers support SQM, I have no idea.  Gamers here might be able to provide you with recommendations.  I run OpenWrt and have the luci-app-sqm and sqm-scripts packages installed.

Even if you do have an SQM-capable router, you still need to configure it properly and fine-tune the configuration for optimal results... otherwise, you will end up burning CPU on your router and your latency-sensitive applications will still perform just as poorly as they ever have, perhaps worse.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@testlin wrote:

I have been thinking some more about this.  I'm not a gamer but I do run some latency-sensitive applications, and I never really had a problem with bufferbloat in a practical sense with my XB6 running in gateway mode.  Sure, I never received stellar scores on bufferbloat tests but presumably AQM did its thing and I always got acceptable performance.

I pointed out the downsides of SQM: it's only vendor-supported on a few high-end routers, it needs to be configured correctly, and without specialized hardware support, SQM will put a huge load on your CPU and significantly limit your network throughput.

The reality is that I don't need "A+" bufferbloat test scores, and I would rather not cook the insides of my router, so I don't typically have SQM enabled.  I can still get "B" and "C" bufferbloat scores, even without using my own router, and that's good enough for me.

I don't know what to make of the scores that you got.  I would test again.  If you continue to see unacceptable performance on a wired Ethernet connection, I would reach out to @CommunityHelps  for assistance.   I know that some of the Moderators are avid gamers and may be able to assist further as well.

testlin
I've Been Here Awhile

I did couple more tests and I'm getting Cs now https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=39df6e99-e09c-4f4b-8ae9-70f1822603e9

Same results from dslreports. I didn't configure anything nor restarted the modem so I have no idea why such a big difference but I'll take it ha.