cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brutal latency/ping Recently

t27c
I plan to stick around

I am wired, with the gigabit package and all of the sudden have gotten constant ping spikes for over the last few days. I haven't been able to play any games online because the crazy ping spikes and latency make it completely unplayable. My speeds are what they are expected to be, no issues there. I have tried hard wiring straight into the modem but alas, the issue still persists. I have tried switching cables, power cycling my devices, factory resetting my devices. The issue still persists. I have called and contacted Rogers multiple times and they say everything seems fine on their end. But still, the issue persists and is steady. resulting in me not able to use any of my gaming devices due to the brutal and constant ping spikes. It's frustrating paying over $100 a month for internet I cant use for the things I want it for. Any help or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you

*** Edited Labels ***

956 REPLIES 956

Re: Brutal latency/ping Recently

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@herrshaun wrote:

@Datalink @-G- Hey guys, any idea if the traffic priority for gaming/streaming is temporary while they add new nodes, or if it's a permanent solution for the foreseeable future?

Rogers has been VERY tight-lipped about what caused the problem that we have been discussing here and what they did to resolve it.  Whatever the cause, in my testing back then, I saw delays in packet forwarding at the network edge that caused the increased sustained latency, occasional HUGE latency spikes and sometimes packet loss, across the board, for all applications... although it mostly impacted gamers and other users of latency-sensitive applications.  As far as I can tell, that has now been fixed, across the board, for all applications.  I think (and am hoping) that things have simply gone back to normal.

I can only speak to what I am seeing with my service but I am not seeing any evidence of prioritization or traffic management countermeasures in my corner of the Rogers network; nothing that is causing detrimental performance to any applications that I am using or selectively better performance for others.

Some users are still reporting service issues here that are consistent with signal problems, a node getting overloaded, etc. but these all seem to be local issues, that are nothing new and that Rogers will deal with and resolve in the usual manner.

herrshaun
I plan to stick around

The gaming priority is broken tonight. Getting ping timeouts every 15-20 hops even when playing TF2 or watching Twitch streams.

herrshaun
I plan to stick around

Random ping timeouts and huge lag spikes in games at the same time. Whoever has the power, tell the engineering department it's no longer prioritizing gaming traffic.

RLMS
I plan to stick around

I’m wondering how your latency is performing if it seems like most has resumed normal on your end, are you still experiencing any ping spikes/dropouts with packet loss?

I’ve given it a couple months since our last tech visits to see if the issues we have still been experiencing are due to whatever might have been happening and affecting many others, as we were told at the time nothing else seemed problematic looking at our signal and etc, but we are still experiencing the same problems every day.

It seems like when I run the network utility ping, the spikes are slightly less frequent than a couple months ago, but we still get spikes to 150-200ms in every test I run at all times of the day and night, and this is on ethernet as well as wifi. The DOCSIS event shows that 2-3x a day we have a No Ranging Response received – T3 timeout followed by a DHCP Renew warning, not sure if that helps pinpoint what might be the cause? Glad to post DOCSIS Wan numbers as well, but generally they seem ok (40-42db upstream strength with 4 channels, 2-6db strength on the 32 downstream)  It has unfortunately made working from home very difficult, and has disconnected meetings even while on ethernet.

Just curious if you are still experiencing anything like that even intermittently, because if not I’m thinking we might still have some problems that require a tech visit, but I really don’t want to have to go through all the back and forth again to be told in the end there’s no evident problem as we already had tech and maintenance teams look into our issue months ago.

As a side note to it potentially being a node issue, in the past weeks we’ve seen that 10+ neighbours are discussing issues with their internet and cable services from various parts of the area, is it possible a major node for the neighbourhood could be a source of the issue? Hoping that a solution is somewhere in sight soon 😞 

ChenDuoCJ
I'm here a lot

Report from KW area ON, tonight Overwatch matching seems fine, got almost nearly 80~90 ping and around 50 IDN which didn't package lost.

Hope Rogers really fixed the nodes and really get the prioritizing gaming traffic up at least during rush hour PLZ!!!

herrshaun
I plan to stick around

I'm getting packet loss out the you-know-what. At least 2-5% loss even when I'm gaming. League of Legends was unplayable earlier. What do I do? 
@Datalink  @-G-  @CommunityHelps 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@herrshaun wrote:

I'm getting packet loss out the you-know-what. At least 2-5% loss even when I'm gaming. League of Legends was unplayable earlier. What do I do? 

The first thing that we need to do is figure out where and why the packet loss is occurring.  It could be due to uncorrectable DOCSIS codeword errors (when those happens, that IS packet loss) or it could be a network load issue (or some other factor) that is causing the packets to get dropped somewhere in the network, and that could potentially be happening anywhere along the network path.

I would send a Private Message to @CommunityHelps and get them engaged.  (The telephone tech support teams are great but those agents are still under time pressure to get their job done and move on to the next call.)  The Mods here can check the signals to your modem and error stats, and can escalate internally to see if your problems are caused by your local node being overloaded or some other upstream problem.  If you are getting a ton of uncorrectable codeword errors, we need to find out why.  It could be a problem with your connection, which could be exacerbated by the high temperatures that we have had over the last few days... or it could be something as simple as a wonky coax patch cable to your modem.  Regardless, don't change anything and don't reset anything until you contact Rogers and have them investigate.

If the signal to your modem is totally clean, the problem could be something with your in-home network (a LAN switch misbehaving?) or it could be a problem in the Rogers network, something further upstream than your modem's connection.

As for me, I'm not seeing any of the huge latency spikes anymore (I did a ping test while some of you were reporting issues here)

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
3600 packets transmitted, 3599 received, 0% packet loss, time 3604028ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 5.375/11.073/39.635/2.099 ms

and I am not seeing packet loss to the same extent that you are, but I am seeing a significant spike in uncorrectable codeword errors on my D3.0 and D3.1 channels; enough to affect Ignite TV.

I would agree with @-G-, don't do anything to your network at the present time, unless you find evidence that you have an identifiable problem within your network.  

To that end, I would to the following via ethernet connected pc/laptop:

1.  Assuming that the modem is running in Gateway mode, ping the modem and let that ping test run for one hour.

2.  If the modem is running in Bridge mode with a router behind it, ping the router and let that test run for one hour. 

3.  Ping the CMTS for one hour; then

4.  Ping Rogers primary IPV4 DNS for one hour.  The IPV4 DNS is 64.71.255.204

To ping the CMTS, run a trace to anywhere:

tracert -4 www.google.ca

If the modem is in Gateway mode with a direct ethernet connection to the modem, or if the modem is in Bridge mode with a router behind it, and you're connecting thru the router, the 2nd hop IP address is the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS).  Ping that address for one hour.  

To run a ping test for one hour you can use the following:

ping -n 3600 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx     where xxx.xxx.xx.xxx is the target IP address for the ping test.  

That will run and terminate after one hour.  

To copy the results, right click on the top title bar of the command box.  Select Edit .... Select All.  Then right click again and select Edit .... Copy.  Paste that into a text editor so that you can copy the bottom test results.  After you have collected all of the bottom results, can you paste them into a post just to see how they turned out.  

What I would expect to see is:

1.  no packet losses to the modem or router.  If there are any, you have an internal network problem.

2.  no packet losses to the CMTS.  But, if there are any, that would indicate an external cable/connector issue, or, that you're on a highly loaded neighbourhood node or CMTS. 

3.  no packet losses to the DNS.  if there are any, then there is an issue with transiting thru the CMTS, or, there is a loading issue enroute from your CMTS to the DNS.  

By doing this in stages, hopefully you will be able to determine where a potential problem might exist.  

I would still message @CommunityHelps and send them your account number and the modem MAC address.   The HFC MAC address can be found in the modems's user interface and on the back or bottom of the modem.  I don't remember what modem you have, if you posted it previously.  If you have a Hitron modem, that HFC MAC address is found in the STATUS page which is displayed when you log into the modem.  Copying the MAC address from the modem's UI should ensure that it can be used to easily track down your modem to check the signal levels.

The moderators @CommunityHelps should check:

1.  the modem signal levels and that of your neighbours;

2.  the background noise, current and historical;

3.  the neighbourhood node data load to determine if its highly loaded during various times of the day;

4.  the CMTS data load to determine if its highly loaded during various times of the day.

If this is a persistent problem, then at some point, something will show up in the data, either in the packet loss data that you collect, or within the noise and loading data that the moderators should be able to access.  At the end of the day, as usual, the question is, will anything be done about it.  That's something that you will have to keep pushing for.  

If the problem turns out to be at the Rogers network border or beyond, I don't expect to see anything done by Rogers as I have yet to see that happen in any case that has come up in the forum. 

herrshaun
I plan to stick around

Okay, so this is weird - when I ping from any computer connected by wi-fi or ethernet, I get the periodic timeouts, but when I ran a ping test tool on my phone (PingTools on Google Play Store), there were no timeouts whatsoever, nor could I get any to show up on the built-in CODA ping test (although I have to wonder about the veracity of that test).

The timeouts happen almost in a pattern, like 6-20 perfect pings of 10-30 ms, timeout, 6-20 perfect pings, timeout, etc. At first I thought it was just some kind of throttling on Rogers' end because it didn't happen when I was gaming, but now that it is, I have to wonder.

Additionally, I have run multiple ping/speed tests at DSLReports and have gotten good results each time. 

Do you still think @CommunityHelps is the way to go? 
@Datalink @-G- 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@herrshaun wrote:

Okay, so this is weird - when I ping from any computer connected by wi-fi or ethernet, I get the periodic timeouts, but when I ran a ping test tool on my phone (PingTools on Google Play Store), there were no timeouts whatsoever, nor could I get any to show up on the built-in CODA ping test (although I have to wonder about the veracity of that test). 

I don't use Windows for troubleshooting network problems but I think that with its ping program, if an ICMP Echo (ping) Reply gets delayed by more than a few seconds, it gets reported as a loss whereas a UNIX/Linux/macOS (and I suppose Android) system will report a 12-second round-trip time as a 12000 ms RTT.  You will have to look at the results that you are getting and interpret them accordingly.

Ping is also a rather crude troubleshooting tool.  There is no guarantee that the system that you are pinging will respond to ping requests immediately, some network gear will drop ICMP Echo packets during times of extreme load, and some service providers may prioritize ping traffic to give the illusion that their network is performing better than it actually is.  That said, ping is still a very useful tool; you just have to use it appropriately and take its limits into consideration when interpreting the results.

The timeouts happen almost in a pattern, like 6-20 perfect pings of 10-30 ms, timeout, 6-20 perfect pings, timeout, etc. At first I thought it was just some kind of throttling on Rogers' end because it didn't happen when I was gaming, but now that it is, I have to wonder. 

When I see something like that, I would have to analyse the network traffic with a Network Sniffer to be able to tell you for sure what is actually going on.  There could be many plausible explanations.

I also doubt that Rogers is prioritizing/shaping/throttling traffic to anywhere near the extent that you believe that they are.  If you are seeing better results while gaming, it's because the problems of olde have been resolved and the network just happens to be performing well at the time.

Additionally, I have run multiple ping/speed tests at DSLReports and have gotten good results each time. 

Do you still think @CommunityHelps is the way to go? 

I think that you should still ask them to check on the error stats on your modem and CMTS, and if there are any trending issues in your area.  It's not like you are demanding that they send out a tech.  I think that they will also appreciate that you are being considerate of their time.  Let them know that you are also investigating things on your side... but if there are issues with your Internet service, they need to get looked at and resolved.  Keep in mind that our current heat wave also has an impact outdoor copper cabling so the problems that you are seeing may also be temporary, and there may be a limit as to what Rogers can do to fix (or even improve) things.

herrshaun
I plan to stick around

I powercycled the modem and now (knock on wood) everything is fine. Of all the times for that to work. Oh well. I will keep an eye on it and if everything is still okay in like a week, I'll consider the matter addressed.

Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:400b:801::2004:
Packets: Sent = 3600, Received = 3600, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 36ms, Average = 13ms

That's a little more like it huh?

So I checked the fast. com setting, the result I got as the screenshot shows is without clicked"Measure loaded latency during upload" because this option is by default. switch off.

Should I run more tests with that option enabled?

Only if you wanted to see the latency as measured during the upload portion of the test, which will result in a worse looking result.  Can you let me know what internet plan you're on at the moment and the modem type?  If you have a black Hitron CGN3xxxx modem, the model number is on the back of the modem on the product sticker.  If you have the white Hitron CODA-4582 modem, there is only one white modem in use by Rogers.  If you have the Ignite TV system, then you will have an XB6 modem where the model is on the bottom of the modem.  It will be an Arris TG-3482ER or a Technicolor CGM4140COM modem. 

t27c
I plan to stick around
The same latency issues I was seeing in my original post have returned. For at least the last two days. Not sure what has happened but it’s back to being completely unplayable again

RLMS
I plan to stick around

Did your latency issues go away before they came back in the past few days, or had it just become less severe until now?

I'd found my issues were less severe in the past couple months, but I've still not been able to run a ping test without pretty frequent spikes to 200ms+ since I began to look into the issues early this year. 

If I run a test of 100-200 pings I can occasionally luck out and get results without a large spike, but any more than a couple hundred pings and I'll inevitably have 100-250ms spikes show.

Ok, for your info again, I'm at the KW area, Ontario.
I had a 150 Mpbs plan since 2017 and moved to a new address but on the same street last September
(Which about the same time I start experiencing internet troubles).

The modem is CODA-4582

I will try replying you with more info you required ASAP in the couple days.

@Datalink Rogers has Arris TG-3482ER and Technicolor CGM4140COM modem ? I heard the arris still runs on puma is that correct? And the technicolor dosent Is this true ??

@lethalsniper wrote:
@Datalink Rogers has Arris TG-3482ER and Technicolor CGM4140COM modem ? I heard the arris still runs on puma is that correct? And the technicolor dosent Is this true ??

Yes, there are two versions of the XB6 gateway out there.

The CGM4141ROG is made by Technicolor (the CGM4140COM is Comcast's version of the same hardware) and uses the Broadcom BCM3390 chipset internally.

The TG3482G is made by Arris and uses the Intel Puma 7 chipset internally.

I know some people hear "Puma" and start freaking out.  Yes, the Puma 6 chipset was a horrendous train wreck but the Puma 7 chipset does not suffer from the same performance problems.

lethalsniper
I'm an enthusiast
Puma 7 still . .. how do I request the non puma one the CGM4141ROG Technicolor?

lethalsniper
I'm an enthusiast
Which one does Rogers give out

@lethalsniper wrote:
Puma 7 still . .. how do I request the non puma one the CGM4141ROG Technicolor?

You can't really, because Rogers' back-end systems are not set up to fulfill orders or replacements with a specific make/model of hardware.  As far as I know, the best that you can do when calling into Rogers is to ask for a Technicolor XB6, and the agent can add a note the order/support ticket.  However, there is no guarantee that you will get what you ask for when the order gets fulfilled.  If a tech is coming to your home, you can ask whether they have an XB6-T in their truck when the they call to say that they are on their way; there's a good chance that they will have an XB6-t on hand.  If Rogers is sending it by courier, you'll get whatever model is in the box that the warehouse sends out.

Having had both the Arris and Technicolor versions, I can honestly say that I have not really noticed any difference in performance between the two while testing.  They both have their pros and cons, and unique quirks and bugs; internally, they have completely different hardware and software.  In the Ignite TV section, you will also actually see more people reporting problems with Technicolor gateways than with the Arris XB6.  (I don't know if there are more problems with the XB6-T or if Rogers has stopped ordering new XB6-A units and has now standardized on the XB6-T.)  The Technicolor firmware also currently has some bugs in it; e.g. Gigabit customers, running in bridge mode, are only able to get 600 Mb/s of throughput.  Rumour has it that a software update with various fixes is on its way but I (and others) have been waiting for weeks now, so it is possible that the roll-out has been put on hold due to other problems.  The XB6-T also has a noisier and more higher-pitched internal fan, which some people find annoying.

You will also find that the (Arris and Technicolor) XB6 is missing numerous features compared to the Hitron CODA modems; no Guest WiFi network, semi-broken port forwarding, no ability to configure alternate DNS servers, a bridge mode that does not completely disable WiFi and other functions that are integral to the XB6, etc.  Also, once you start managing the XB6 through the mobile app or through the Ignite WiFi Hub web portal, you will lose access to some settings through the local admin web UI.  (Those are only the highlights.)  The XB6 is also Comcast's own creation and was designed to be the hub for their Xfinity "connected home" service offerings.  Rogers can request new features/improvements but Comcast does not seem to be under any obligation to deliver on those.  Once you get Ignite Internet and the XB6, there's apparently no going back.

Best of luck with getting your current Internet issues resolved, however you decide to proceed.