Brutal latency/ping Recently

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Brutal latency/ping Recently

High latency 2nd hop

Hi, over the past 5-6 months I've been experiencing really high jitter especially during the day. I have a wired connection and a hitron CGN3 CODA-4582U, I've had multiple technicians come to visit, and rogers has sent me a new modem as well(it was scratched up and didn't even work upon arrival), the issue is a lot less noticeable at night as well.

319b9fb19dcd87dbbd01d64a6e27fd67

As you can see, the latency is really high in the second hop. I get the same results on any device in my home, and it's not exclusive to ping plotter, I've been trying to fix this issue for a while now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Highlighted

Hello, @ekamins

Thanks so much for posting your concerns in our Community. I know how frustrating it is trying to game online when you are dealing with latency issues, it can really ruin the experience.

We have been tracking these types of issues and escalating them to our networking teams to investigate what is happening and find a solution. Please send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can gather your info and get started. Not familiar with our private messaging system? No worries, Click Here.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

RogersTony

Highlighted
I'm an Enthusiast

Really? I have sent a private message 3 weeks to a month ago with it not being resolved yet which it’s a joke .. and I’m sure there are people here who waiting longer .. you guys at Rogers need to get your act together that’s all I read from u guys the same response over and over with still no improvements.. I think it’s time to contact the ombudsman of Rogers @RogersTony
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Over the last few days, I've been seeing a bit more jitter (so something appears to have changed again) but I also haven't seen ping RTTs spike above 65 ms either.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I won't go into many details, but I have a good news story.  I brought the network congestion issues up with the community help reps here and ultimately my neighbourhood network issues were escalated and Rogers took full ownership of the issue.  The end result is that our node will be segmented, and while it is a 6-month long process I am willing to be patient, particularly as internet service will likely improve anyway as government restrictions around the current COVID-19 pandemic gradually loosen.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

6 months? Hate to break it to you but my node is getting segmented tomorrow. The date was set approximately a month ago. You shouldn't have to wait 6 months for your node to get segmented.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Every neighbourhood is different.  I'd rather them under promise and over deliver.  

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@AngryChicken wrote:

Every neighbourhood is different.  I'd rather them under promise and over deliver.  

Some folks around here have become understandably jaded and pessimistic, particularly those who have been waiting a long time for the issues affecting them to get resolved.

Thankfully, whatever had been causing the extreme latency spikes in my area seems to have been fixed.

--- 8.8.8.8 ping statistics ---
1000 packets transmitted, 1000 received, 0% packet loss, time 1000450ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 5.347/10.988/27.101/2.036 ms

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I've noticed that too. I remember one night I had awful jitter and stuttering, then I started downloading COD: MW in the background, I then ran a ping plotter test and had perfect internet even while downloading a 100gb game. I'm sure rogers prioritizes your internet while downloading/gaming.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I see similar results here.

While pings look similar (spikes), gaming experience is far less painful than before. I would agree with you guys and say that Rogers is prioritizing gaming traffic.  I have received less complaints regarding audio quality while on my SIP calls. Fairly certain they moved SIP traffic up there too to be prioritized.

On another note, my "tentative date" for node segmentation is scheduled for Dec 7. Maybe we'll have decent internet in 2021 guys🤣