cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brutal latency/ping Recently

t27c
I plan to stick around

I am wired, with the gigabit package and all of the sudden have gotten constant ping spikes for over the last few days. I haven't been able to play any games online because the crazy ping spikes and latency make it completely unplayable. My speeds are what they are expected to be, no issues there. I have tried hard wiring straight into the modem but alas, the issue still persists. I have tried switching cables, power cycling my devices, factory resetting my devices. The issue still persists. I have called and contacted Rogers multiple times and they say everything seems fine on their end. But still, the issue persists and is steady. resulting in me not able to use any of my gaming devices due to the brutal and constant ping spikes. It's frustrating paying over $100 a month for internet I cant use for the things I want it for. Any help or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you

*** Edited Labels ***

956 REPLIES 956

Re: Brutal latency/ping Recently

@lethalsniper wrote:
had 2 timeouts
Ping statistics for 64.71.255.204:
Packets: Sent = 3600, Received = 3598, Lost = 2 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 74ms, Average = 10ms

That's actually not bad compared to what I typically see.

pinging the CMTS

Ping statistics for 99.x.x.x:
Packets: Sent = 1000, Received = 1000, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Minimum = 5ms, Maximum = 105ms, Average = 13ms

I see the same: pings to the CMTS router taking longer than pinging a host across the Internet.  This because the local node seems to be the primary contributor to the excessive latency and jitter that we are seeing.  It also shows that the CMTS router is busy doing something, and that this is also slowing its response time to processing ICMP Echo requests, and that the processor load is likely contributing to "micro-freezes" where the local node briefly stops forwarding packets and causing/introducing the latency spikes that we see.

You can also get additional insights by running separate simultaneous ping tests to your local CMTS and to an Internet host of your choice.  Most likely, you will see similar response times with the CMTS router taking a few extra milliseconds to respond.

lethalsniper
I'm an enthusiast
I do t see any timeouts on your test

@lethalsniper wrote:
I do t see any timeouts on your test

I don't see as much packet loss as others have because I suspect that my local node is not as heavily loaded as others' may be.  However, I have seen it happen under some circumstances where packet forwarding in my local node freezes for longer periods of time, which causes more network traffic to back up beyond the node's ability to buffer it.

I am also performing my ping tests on Linux, not Windows.  I have seen RTTs to my local CMTS router exceeding 12000 milliseconds (yes, > 12 seconds) in the past.  On Windows, I think that this would have been reported as a sequence of successive timeouts during the ping test and lost packets in the final stats.

AngryChicken
I plan to stick around

<fingers crossed>

I chatted for some time this AM with an agent in a chat window.  I felt like I was going around in circles with her for a long time as she clearly wasn't reading my replies to her questions fully.  They have a script they follow, and I get that, but she was going to roll a truck to check my particular issue and I had to say no.  She missed the point entirely that the problem is just a certain window of time and only on work days and only during the work week.  She missed the point that it's not the raw speeds which are an issue, but rather the sloth-like way the network interacts with anything that requires near real-time communication like online gaming (ask my son!) or videoconferencing.  For the record, my upload/download in off-peak hours is roughly 600/21 Mbps and during peak hours it's pretty consistent around 150/3.0 Mbps.  But it's the latency!  Roughly 10 times the latency at times and packet drops on the order of 1 in 10 packets.

Anyway, to her (and Rogers') credit, they opened up another ticket with their engineering department (of course they closed the other one with "no fault found") and promised that they would loop me in on the ticket's progress this time.  I'm hopeful that there might be some resolution in the offing but I'm not banking on it. 

</fingers crossed>

@Datalink from those test posted above do you see anything that would cause online gaming to lag / lag spikes it’s been happening a lot in the last couple of months

herrshaun
I plan to stick around

@AngryChicken I don't mean to kill your optimism, but the "engineering ticket, we will keep you up to date through text" rigmarole is something we've all experienced. Expect either a text in a couple days saying "sorry, we (tested for 2 minutes and) couldn't find a problem at this time", or radio silence.

AngryChicken
I plan to stick around

Exactly what happened.  It's obviously not in their best interest to admit that there is a problem.  That said, they're going to roll a truck and "check my line"  COVID-19 protocols mean that they won't enter my house for which I'm glad, since there's nothing wrong with either the modem or my cabling to the dmarc.  It will be a wasted trip but I'm sure they'll jiggle the cables and put some shiny new couplings on it and say they adjusted the doo-hickey on the thingamajig in hopes of keeping me happy and stupid.  I will then imagine that everything is suddenly better.

I *know* that there's a capacity problem and that's the real waste.  I would like them to at least acknowledge my concern and say truthfully that they are looking into it.  That's actually my only goal.  I'm a big boy and I don't expect instant gratification but it bothers me that they're going to waste $$ on a site visit.

@AngryChicken you need to talk to a Tier II tech, specifically about the data throughput load at your neighbourhood node and the Cable Modem Termination System that you're connected to.  The tech probably won't tell you the total capacity of either one, as in Hundreds of gigabits for the neighbourhood node and tens of terrabits for the CMTS, but, he or she should be able to tell you the percentage of max load that each is running and their historical loads over some previous amount of time.  The moderators should be able to do the same !!  Talking with a Tier I tech for this situation is a waste of time, and as you say, the field tech will wiggle the thingamajig in hopes of keeping you happy and stupid.  That's a complete waste of money by Rogers for which their shareholders should be taking them to task.  The truck roll costs have to add up to a rather huge amount of money for absolutely no gain.  Instead, a little honesty from Rogers would go a long way these days to keep customers reasonably satisfied with the info that they receive.  All personal opinion of course. 

AngryChicken
I plan to stick around

I may contact them and cancel the truck anyway.  I will try to open a ticket and using the language you specify.  It's sad that the people that I've online chatted with at Rogers didn't clue in to what I wanted, even though I connected the dots for them and stated explicitly that I wanted to escalate to the engineering team and talk with *them*.  I mean, what else would that mean??

@AngryChicken  the problem is that the Tier I & II techs serve as a barrier between the customers and the engineering staff.  This includes the moderators here in the forum.  No disrespect to the moderators, but, any one of them should be able to pick up the phone, or send an email to the network engineering staff referencing a specific oddball problem that has arisen.  This is a customer to customer forum, not a customer to engineer  forum or vice versa.  At a point in time in the past, @RogersDave who has left Rogers for Hitron, would spend time in the forum, when possible to, address latency issues with the Puma 6 modems.  I've said this in the past, and I'll say it again, this forum needs engineering support to address issues that arise from time to time.  That doesn't necessarily mean full time support, which from a manpower perspective would be very expensive, but at least on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.  Keeping an ear to the ground, so to speak, is a dirt cheap way for the engineering staff to pick up on issues that arise that happen to be beyond Tier I or II techs.  As an example, there is an ongoing issue with the XB6 modems and Ubiquiti routers which is resulting in unpredictable, slow, data rate problems.  That's well beyond Tier I and II techs.  Its going to take a Rogers network engineer and a few data captures to possibly point out the issue to Intel or Broadcom.  So who calls the engineering staff???  Not the Tier I or II techs.  Hello moderators ....... over to you, and the engineering staff.  

So, communications to and from the engineering staff is a definite problem.  They don't always get it right on a product launch so there has to be some method to elevate issues that weren't seen in pre-launch testing.  

Network issues, as you're experiencing have been on the go since January, and the current Covid 19 situation is just making that worse that it already was.  This is an engineering issue, and no amount of truck rolls is going to solve what appears to be a huge problem for a number of customers.  Its very unfortunate that Rogers chooses to remain radio silent on the real cause of the slow data rates, packet loss and latency.  Covid 19 is an excuse, not the real reason, which started in January.  Yes, data throughput has increased by more than 50%, so, ok, what was going on before that 50% increase came along?

Just to point out, some customers these days such as yourself and others are professional IT staff, so, you're considerably more knowledgeable than most of the tech staff.  The usual Tier I routine of unplug or reboot your modem just doesn't cut it, it never will.  Again, the problem here is the lack of a communication path up to the network engineering staff.  Yes, you're a customer .... but, one that can most likely provide a great deal of experience and knowledge in troubleshooting network issues. 

Part of the problem in addressing what you're experiencing is the lack of data that adequately documents all protocols, ICMP, TCP/IP and UDP.  Personal opinion, an ICMP ping test doesn't cut it.  Don't think anyone else is going to do this, so, its time to address the issue with Wireshark plots and text data files where applicable.  Providing evidence of very poor response times to the CMTS and Rogers DNS for all protocols will hopefully raise the visibility of problems at the CMTS and beyond.  Working on it .... its a work in progress. 

Fwiw ......  

This is a good example of what I was pointing to.  You shouldn't have to go down the route of Sharing a Concern, or going to the Office of the President to start resolving a technical problem when there are staff present in the forum who can get the ball rolling.  All it takes is to simply pass along a message to the relevant technical staff member.  That's either a phone call, message or email.  

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Unable-to-Receive-Emails-on-Outlook/m-p/461578#M61093

super_robot
I plan to stick around

@Datalink 

I have also been wondering if the information is getting lost or if they are simply not in a rush to fix things.

You get a high five for providing technical info and that's about it. Nothing gets done or fixed. I apologize if that is insulting to Rogers staff but I have literally no reason to believe otherwise. 

It is very frustrating to be a Rogers costumer.

I'll still wager that the Rogers Network Team needed to make a significant configuration change, the vendor(s) probably told them that it should work fine, it didn't, and now Rogers is committed and cannot revert back.

This is all pure speculation on my part.

@super_robot please remember I'm just another customer, same as you.  Don't work for Rogers, never have, never will.  Trust me, Rogers wouldn't want me working for them. 

super_robot
I plan to stick around

@Datalink 

I know brother, I agree 100% with all your recent posts in this thread. 

herrshaun
I plan to stick around

I'm getting insane packet loss lately while not gaming, but it seems like when I play TF2 it's steady. Are Rogers prioritizing gaming traffic or something?

herrshaun
I plan to stick around

Ping statistics for 172.217.1.164:
Packets: Sent = 3600, Received = 3490, Lost = 110 (3% loss),
Minimum = 6ms, Maximum = 185ms, Average = 13ms

Seriously, what is this?

super_robot
I plan to stick around
We’re in the same boat.

Mind blowing that an issue this significant takes 4months(And counting..)to get looked after and fixed.

I’ve lost faith in Rogers. Their lack of transparency is a big problem. How they make you waste your time dealing with tier1 and sending techs to your house knowing they can’t fix the big issue is also a major problem.

Going on as if business as usual ... just disgusting in my opinion.

chemical1
I plan to stick around

WOW it is extra complete garbage tonight, what a joke !  

Yup it’s so bad

herrshaun
I plan to stick around

So I've done some testing. It seems that whenever I am not doing anything high-bandwidth, like watching streams or playing online games, I get a timeout every 7-15 pings. However, if I am doing one of these things, I don't get any. There is a little bit of rubberbanding here and there, but for the most part it's stable. 

My hypothesis is that Rogers has somehow set it up to prioritize gaming traffic for now, and non-gaming traffic is currently taking a back seat. This is not a permanent fix by any means, but at least they realize that gamers/streamers need the bandwidth the most.