Brutal latency/ping Recently

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Brutal latency/ping Recently

@xdCanuck wrote:

This is a stretch and I don't think they'd make it that obvious, but could they be straining service to people with discount plans for the sake of getting us to upgrade? I have no idea why I would be told I need a better plan otherwise as someone who lives with one other person who is generally not even home. Download speeds are not the issue here, obviously.

Customer Service agents are probably encouraged to up-sell customers to plans with higher profit margins.

The difficulties being reported here are (most likely) due network changes being made to support planned upgrades.  In my area, crews (working under contract for Rogers) have been doing directional boring for underground conduit and building underground vaults for something.  I don't know exactly what it is for.  (Transition to Remote-PHY?  FTTH?)  I haven't seen any promotional material yet for the upgrade but they're definitely working on something.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Really bad tonight.  TV went out even.

Everyone at home due to the virus, and Rogers network only operating at a fraction of what they think it should.  I wonder how bad it has to get before they figure it out.  The problem isn't the signal taking a variable amount of time to run down the wires. It has to be the network equipment failing to keep up.  The ping time is variable, and it is worse at peak times, so it isn't just dropping packets randomly.  It isn't raw packet  throughput, because you can pour single downloads through at top speed, so it has to be a problem processing frame requests.  There is no other explanation that fits!

I'm sure they keep running their 1GB download speed test over and over again, saying to each other "Seems to be working fine.  Must be the line!"

Could be digging for years before they work it out.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hopefully the covid virus will make Rogers realize they have a capacity issue and that it isn't noise on the line.  Facebook is alight about how lousy the Rogers service is and how everything isn't working.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The internet is brutal I can't even do my stream. 

My upload is terrible and can't even play any of my online games.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

also getting the same thing. I can't play anything online as my ping spikes from 50ms to over 500 every few min.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Wish I could offer some words of encouragement, but Rogers are in total denial about this.

They have a fundamental mental-block.  When they designed the Ignite infrastructure, they dismissed inter-frame latency as a fundamental design issue, and they have not even started to change their mind-set in that regard.  None of their tests, service-levels, policies or procedures considers it as a factor, or even measures it. 

Re-designing and rebuilding the network to take inter-frame latency into account, would be prohibitively expensive and take a very long time to implement, and no one wants to tell anyone near the level required at Rogers, to fix the problem.  Acknowledging it publicly would be a disaster as well.  Who would pay for the service in the meanwhile?

It is going to take an act of God, to get anyone at Rogers to give you any help on this.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Welp...I'm done with Rogers.

The people with switched over to Bell: How did that go and how is the connection?

If it's just as bad, I'll just go back to Teksavvy, even though I know they use the Rogers infrastructure.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

It lastest 2 days for me and its back. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Can anyone please post a series of steps to self-diagnose if there really is an issue with my internet connection? 

I'm on a wired connection first off, and the only idea I have as to why I might be stuttering in some of my more network-intensive games is due to the random lag spikes to about 100-150ms shown in cmd prompt when I ping to google at peek hours. 

Although the spike to 100+ ms only happens every 20 packets for example, these spikes have a big impact when playing FPS shooters for example. 

Is this normal, and just something rogers cable users have to suck up? Or is there any way I can diagnose my internet to see if there's anything I can fix myself

Thanks

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

One picture is worth a thousand words , right ?

month.png