cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brutal latency/ping Recently

t27c
I plan to stick around

I am wired, with the gigabit package and all of the sudden have gotten constant ping spikes for over the last few days. I haven't been able to play any games online because the crazy ping spikes and latency make it completely unplayable. My speeds are what they are expected to be, no issues there. I have tried hard wiring straight into the modem but alas, the issue still persists. I have tried switching cables, power cycling my devices, factory resetting my devices. The issue still persists. I have called and contacted Rogers multiple times and they say everything seems fine on their end. But still, the issue persists and is steady. resulting in me not able to use any of my gaming devices due to the brutal and constant ping spikes. It's frustrating paying over $100 a month for internet I cant use for the things I want it for. Any help or suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thank you

*** Edited Labels ***

956 REPLIES 956

Re: Brutal latency/ping Recently

Tolo
I plan to stick around

@Datalinkgood news....I already have wincap/npcap installed. Bad news....I have ASUS wrt merlin installed and a global catching pihole. 😞 I won't be able to run the TCPIP DNS pings properly without a bit of a hassle....

Daegard
I'm here a lot

Mine was fixed on Tuesday, It was nothing Rogers did specifically for me since I hadn't followed up since the Tech replaced my modem a while ago. Was also accidentally banned from forum for a few days so I couldn't follow up here. I'd hoped it was fixed for everyone.

But last night it came back, very briefly. At about 1:40AM I was raiding in World of Warcraft, and it was like someone at Rogers threw a switch and turned it back on. I'd had zero problems for days. and then boom, constant lag spikes of 2-3 seconds again on pings.  Then at about 2:15am my connection went out completely for about 20 minutes. After that it was relatively normal, although I still get some spikes up into the 200-400 ms range.  It seemed like somebody at rogers pushed something, realized it messed up, then did a full shutdown and reset.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Tolo give it a try anyways.  I don't think that the router or pihole will get in the way unless they are configured to process TCP/IP addresses.  Pingplotter should be able to send a TCP/IP ping directly to the desired target without any interference from the router or pihole.  Now, if you happen to be running Merlin with Skynet installed, that should still be ok, but, you might have to whitelist the DNS IP address in Skynet. 

Tolo
I plan to stick around

@Datalink  Turned off the filters and pihole for my PC....good lord I'll let the picture tell the ugly story...again it all looks like one of their internal servers...

6hourrogers_tcp.JPG

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Tolo thats very interesting.  There's been a change in the server/router setting on the network.  Previously you wouldn't see a TCP/IP response from the enroute servers/routers.  You would only see the response from the end target which in this case is the DNS.  Did you capture a screen shot of the plot?  Thats what I would be interested in seeing.  

I was thinking that since Pingplotter was using an IP address as a target, that the router would simply pass the ping thru the router, without any IP address lookup.  Why would it bother since the target was an IP address instead of a web address.  Same goes for the pihole.  Does the pihole do anything with directed IP addresses?

OttawaMike97
I've been here awhile

I'm getting the same issue here in Ottawa... Rogers sent a tech to hard reboot my white CODA-4582 modem and also installed a new one.. Still persists.

riotvale
I've been here awhile

@Daegard Hey man, so since you posted about your issue being fixed, have you noticed any regression in the quality of your services? I'm crossing my fingers that for you everything stays (is) fixed. I wouldn't mind also have a stealth fix applied for my situation as well. But I probably just jinxed it 😞

Tolo
I plan to stick around

@DatalinkHere is the shot of it and my settings from pp5:

(sorry it looks like it didn't keep the complete graph 1:30-7:30PM 😞 )

6hourrogers_tcp_grph.JPG6hourrogers_tcp_settings.JPG

Even weirder is I ran it again as I was posting this to see if the graph would redraw and it seems to do 1 "hop" only...this was after turning on global DNS and pihole again.

6hourrogers_tcp_1.JPG

@OttawaMike97 where are you located in Ottawa?  I'm in Stittsville.

OttawaMike97
I've been here awhile

I'm right near Mooney's Bay. So I guess between Nepean and Alta Vista? Not entirely sure I'm new in town.

Zealotki11er
I plan to stick around

Not only gaming is impossible which I can deal with but even using the internet is super slow to open pages. 

Now with CONVID-19 forcing people to WFH I cant even remote desktop. I need to find a solution quickly. 

Swifty00
I plan to stick around

Yeah, as I predicted about 20 pages back, it is getting worse.

TV is starting to hitch as well occasionally on a Sunday night, particularly just after you have changed channels.  Channel surfing is becoming slow.  Gradually the whole thing will grind to a halt.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Swifty00 wrote:

Yeah, as I predicted about 20 pages back, it is getting worse.

TV is starting to hitch as well occasionally on a Sunday night, particularly just after you have changed channels.  Channel surfing is becoming slow.  Gradually the whole thing will grind to a halt.

If it's taking several seconds to change channels on Ignite IT then it's due to an IPv6 connectivity issue, not latency/packet loss.  Reboot your XB6 gateway and things should go back to back to normal.  After that, you might also need to reboot your set-top box as well... but do this after rebooting the gateway.

Swifty00
I plan to stick around

Your problem is that you cannot change your paradigm, to understand the effect latency has on the network.  I did my computer science degree in the 80s so I understand the difference between latency and throughput.  It has been 20years at least since latency has been an issue for networks.  It has gone completely out of fashion.

Understand the difference between packets and frames.  The problem is entirely with the edge routers being unable to process new frames fast enough.  Once a frame has been passed to the output buffer it is flying through.  That is why the Rogers jitter test isn't registering jitter, they are measuring intra-frame jitter from the output buffer.  In a way you are correct, it is "IP Connectivity" that is failing, because the first packet is taking too long, and it is the first packet that is required to establish connectivity.

Run a test measuring inter-frame jitter and bufferbloat goes through the roof.  I've been doing this for 25 years.  I have seen hundreds of young network engineers argue with me.  I can take it.   At some point you are going to realise that the packet loss/latency is always the first packet in a frame.  Let me know when that registers.

Rogers routers are overwhelmed running network code, not shifting packets.

Bri29
I've been around

Latest Hitron router, big white tower, sorry, which ever model that may be. Very sporadic ping spikes and packet loss has been ruining my online experience. Sometimes internet dies completely and I just have to wait for it to come back. This happens at any random time during the day, almost every single day without fail, multiple times a day. Looking at router, all icons are lit up as if everything is working fine. Calling rogers has not helped. They have claimed to watch our connection for 2 days (on 2 occasions now), to see if they notice issues, but nothing good has come from this. This issue has persisted for about 4 months. Paying for this package, the internet is so incredibly unreliable, especially noticeable while gaming. All directly connected btw, and custom built pc's. When I hover my ping in Discord for example, I can watch my ping go from 30ms, to 3000, back to 40, and anywhere above or inbetween. I just sit there and watch it go. It can last different amounts of time, sometimes 30 minutes of constant ping spikes, sometimes only 1 or 2 minutes. I just want this resolved. 

Fonarik1
I plan to stick around
I'm sorry to hear about everyone still having issues, my internet is still working well as of last Wednesday and I hope it continues this way and everyone else's gets fixed as well

NancyN
I'm here a lot

So it's been awhile since my last post but here are some updates. Last week or so they sent in some maintenance guys to look at the node just outside of my house. They didn't come up to the house or anything - I literally wouldn't have even known they came unless my mom told me about the dudes with a van at the box on the pole. 

A little while after that things seemed to be fine or at least a decent amount better. There was some highish ping spikes around the 100-300 range every now and then but I was willing to put up with it considering I had terrible internet for about a month before hand.

After the reset they did I've noticed the issues getting worse, to where now it's literally near unusable for gaming purposes.

This is the ping DIRECTLY to the CMTS:
This is a ping to the Rogers DNS server I've been using for the past month or so:

This was taken and completed just now. I'm so done with Rogers at this point it's unbelievable that this is still happening without anything really being told to me at all on the situation. 

Petey1013
I've been here awhile

Jumping in on this as I've been getting big lag spikes in my internet. It's made playing Call of Duty absolutely infuriating while rubberbanding all over the place.

What's everyone done to complain? Anyone had any resolution from Rogers?

I am watching this thread too. I called last night and the Rogers support who answered the phone said they would do a trace (?) to my home. They determined the line had "a lot of noise" and they would have a tech go and take a look at it. Apparently two channels are causing lag spikes and frequent internet speed drops.

I am using the Hitron white modem bridged into a router and he said it shouldn't be on my end, and he could see it was on Rogers' end.

Hopefully they get this fixed ASAP - everything was working well up until Sunday without an issue. I too am experiencing rubberbanding and frequent lag spikes from 50ms to 600. Speed from 900mbps on Sunday to consistent 30mbps Monday and today.

savuser12
I plan to stick around
Have a tech visit tomorrow for this issue ... I am not very hopeful after reading posts on this thread ... Anything that I should know before the tech visit.

GotRobbed
I plan to stick around

It's probably not a local issue. Mine got fixed after continuously chatting with support (like 6 times) and telling them that something upstream is causing the issue. (provide tracert when you are experiencing the issue)

I will mention that my connection's mostly fixed, but i still have packet losses (less than 1%), at least not everything i do is 2000+ms anymore.