Brutal latency/ping Recently

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Brutal latency/ping Recently

If your cable runs overhead from the utility pole, it sounds like the techs may have replaced the local tap which connects you and your immediate neighbours to the Rogers cable system.  They look something similar to this:

http://www.acmetronix.com/at/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=show&catid=15&id=53

https://www.multicominc.com/product/multicom-mtar-pi-x-x-plug-in-tap-series/

That local tap is either mounted on the utility pole, or in the case of underground cabling, its located within a nearby pedestal. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Well all was great with my connection yesterday for the first time since the 23rd...then 2am (the Rogers witching hour) rollls around and something changed and back to latency spikes and packet loss. They are obviously working on fixes but what is anyones guess.

Would be nice for some sort of communication from Rogers on the issues but I am guessing they are trying to avoid bad press.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Run the DSL Reports test:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

It will flood the Network with small packets and test bufferbloat.  Even at off-peak times when you can just about game and spikes are not too bad, this report will test your connection and you will find out if they really have fixed it.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

PS - Run this test while your kids are playing Overwatch and listen to them howl - if you really want to have fun!

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I can't play anything at all, in league of legends it spikes to 400ms for 2-3 seconds at the random, Apex Legends became a running in place simulator, Overwatch is a nightmare, no shots register at all... and call of duty is just purely unplayable, i get killed before I even see the enemy. What can I say, small Indie company that doesn't have the resources to solve the matter...... Highly considering switching to Bell but I am afraid the same problem might reoccur....

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Got a C for bufferbloat. 348 ms avg.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I hear you, I just opened another ticket, and will continue to do so until they get this fixed.  I am not a gamer, but more a streamer....I can tell you my speed is going crazy every few minutes.  Getting 950 down one minute, back to 10 the next.  I have never seen such wild fluctuations before....

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Yesterday wasn't too bad.  Only a small handful of noticeable spikes in latency... However, tonight is abysmal again:

https://imgur.com/a/HJ0aPDj

@RogersCorey - Glad to see Rogers is acknowledging that there's a widespread issue.  I'm sure we'd all love to hear of any updates you have going forward.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Is there an expected date when this will be getting fixed @RogersCorey ? If this is going to be months I need to know whether I should be downgrading my service in the mean time. Paying for the 1 Gigabit internet doesn't make any sense if the service is going to be like this for weeks / months. Communication about the situation / ETA would be great here. Not just for myself but for other customers as well.  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So, it’s been horrible for me for about a week and a half and magically it’s good right now. We’ll see how long it lasts this time lol

Edit: lasted about 5 minutes and is back to how it has been lol