Bridging questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Bridging questions

You can try via

but if that doesnt work.. you would have to reset it back to gateway to check it.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes. But that would wipe out the data ... Hmmm. Seems to me to be a no win situation. Until they (Hitron) fix the firmware to be able to log into the modem without having to reset back to defaults then I am never going to be able to narrow down this problem! Thanks all the same... I will just muddle along for now.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You could call tech support and have the CSR look at the signal levels.  The measurement method is different, but the CSR should be able to access the data without any problems and see if there is a signal issue. 

Or....since the modem is bridged, you have to assume that any signal problem that is present now will still be present after a reboot.  Yes, it might be slightly different as a reconnect does change or alter the voltage levels, but the assumption should be that any real problem will still be present.  So, with that, the easy way to do this is to turn of or disconnect the router, and disconnect a pc or laptop that you have connected to the router and plug it into the modem.  Reset the modem by depressing the recessed reset button for 30 seconds and let it reboot back into Gateway mode.  When its there, log in, copy the downstream and upstream tables from the DOCSIS WAN page and paste them here or into a temporary doc like a notepad page.  Once you have that, navigate to the STATUS....CAPABILITY tab and deselect the Residential Gateway Function.  Hit apply and it will or should reboot back into Bridge mode.  Disconnect the pc or laptop at the same time and reconnect to the router.  Turn on or reconnect the router to the modem as well.  When everything is up and running log back here and paste the tables.  Hopefully that will take you less than 5 minutes.   

I Plan to Stick Around

OK  thanks for the suggestion.  I will try that tonight after I get back from work.   I have also gained a lot of insight by reading the fourms here.. on other little things. BTW who is CSR?

I'm an Advisor

@baffledalot wrote:

BTW who is CSR?

Customer Service Representative, i.e. the people at Rogers who answer the phones...

I Plan to Stick Around

Bridging Questions

I have a few questions about bridging a 3rd party router as it seems to be the only way I can play games on my xbox. If I put the CGN3ACSMR into bridge mode will others still be able to use that wireless? And will it affect its performance?

Thanks and sorry for the dumb question
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Bridging Questions

Hi.  No such thing as a dumb question.  A dumb answer, maybe.... 🙂   When you bridge the modem, you are placing it in a "modem only" mode of operation, where it only provides a bridge between the Rogers cable system and the house Local Area Network.  All functions including router and wifi functions are disabled.  That requires you to have your own router to handle all of the firewall, router, port forwarding, wifi duties, etc.  The modem does not provide any firewall capability when its operating in Bridge mode.  Hope this helps.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Bridging Questions

Thank you that is exactly what I am looking for! Appreciate the help
I've Been Here Awhile

Hello I have a Cisco DPC3825 Gateway, and have it in bridged mode. I have my PC connected and a 3rd party router for the wifi connected as well. For the past few weeks, service has either been perfectly fine, dropping occassionally for 1-10 minutes or constantly (6-10 times a day for the amount of time described above). I've had techs here in the past and they've ran new wires inside and to the box but this issue continues to persist. I've exchanged modems a few times but this issue seems to persist. 

My issue closely resembles what is described in another thread 

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/2165...

However my settings look quite different

About           

Model:     Cisco DPC3825
Vendor:     Cisco
Hardware Revision:     1.0
Serial Number:    xxxxxxxxx
MAC Address:     xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
Bootloader Revision:     2.3.0_R3
Current Software Revision:     dpc3825-v302r125572-131113a-ROG
Firmware Name:     dpc3825-v302r125572-131113a-ROG.bin
Firmware Build Time:     Nov 13 15:51:58 2013
Cable Modem Status:     Operational
Wireless Network:    Disable

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cable Modem State           

DOCSIS Downstream Scanning:     *Completed*
DOCSIS Ranging:     *Completed*
DOCSIS DHCP:     *Completed*
DOCSIS TFTP:     *Completed*
DOCSIS Data Reg Complete:     *Completed*
DOCSIS Privacy:     *Enabled*

Downstream Channels           

Power Level:     Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1:     -0.2 dBmV     39.9 dB
Channel 2:     -0.4 dBmV     39.9 dB
Channel 3:     -0.3 dBmV     39.9 dB
Channel 4:     -0.8 dBmV     39.6 dB
Channel 5:     -1.0 dBmV     39.5 dB
Channel 6:    -0.7 dBmV     39.7 dB
Channel 7:     -0.5 dBmV     39.5 dB
Channel 8:     -1.3 dBmV     39.5 dB

Upstream Channels           

Power Level:
Channel 1:     46.7 dBmV
Channel 2:     45.0 dBmV
Channel 3:     45.5 dBmV
Channel 4:     0.0 dBmV

I have no clue what any of this means, so I would be grateful to anyone that can tell me if it points to something wrong.

Peter

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Most other posts you will see more often now, are with the newer modems.  24 channel ones.

Shouldnt be a big deal though.

Generally, you want your signal to be as close to 0 as possible, in the +/- 10 range.
So yours is not too bad.

I DOUBT its the problem.
Unless you are able to log in and check it, durring those DOWN times.. to see if there is any difference.

May be something else more external.. a node further down the line, etc.. which keeps going out.