Bridge Mode Setup Guide

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Bridge Mode Setup Guide

As fibre makes its rounds.. and EVENTUALLY (will be a LONG time) is to every home, the sky is the limit.
But even with cable.. with the right back ends.. with some of the newer technology (docsis 3, 24 channel modem like the CGN3, etc.), you can get almost 1gb down (think maxes at 250 or so up).

I think the BIGEST thing holding us back as a country/region (US included), is PRICE.

All these demographics you see, of Canada/US against other countries.. show us VERY low speeds comparatively.
But thats just an AVERAGE of all users.

It makes people think, that the speeds are not available.
MOST everywhere that rogers has coverage, you can get at least the 150 plan... and now up to 250 for some.

Whats inhibitive.. is the COST.  Alot of people dont (or cant) pay that much, so remain on lower tier packages.. which brings the overall average DOWN.

Heck, the BEST priced/value internet around where i am.. is around $26 for unlmited! WOOHOO!  Wait.. thats 6mbps DSL.  But for the price.. many people will jump on it..

And that can bring the overall average down.

Overseas, sometimes has 2 major advantages.
1) Denser population.  Smaller contry, everyone closer together, easier to setup the infrastructure, alot less cost to do so as not as much to do.  You make more money per sq ft in a denser populated area.

2) Age of infrastructure.  Alot of places, didnt have ANYTHING until recently, so its all new infrastructure.. run fibre right from the begining. Most of here? You are running on 30+ year old cable or even sometimes OLDER telephone line infrastructure.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Gdkitty wrote:

As fibre makes its rounds.. and EVENTUALLY (will be a LONG time) is to every home, the sky is the limit.
But even with cable.. with the right back ends.. with some of the newer technology (docsis 3, 24 channel modem like the CGN3, etc.), you can get almost 1gb down (think maxes at 250 or so up).

Cable has the potential to go faster than that, too. You've got 130+ channels on an 860MHz cable system, which is obviously shared between analog TV, digital TV, Internet, etc., but it's certainly possible to make a 48 or 96-channel modem (perhaps it will be called the CGN5?), shrink nodes, and crank the speeds up further.

I Plan to Stick Around

Spoke too soon LOLLL received a call from Rogers..."We apologize for the delay and thank you for your patience..."

The problem- inconsistency with the connection. One day full speeds and a few days/ week later .5- 12 mbps. Am keeping records of data feed and dropped connections.

I Plan to Stick Around

Gdkitty can you update your OP to show the steps for each gateway type?  Saves us from digging through 8 pages [so far] of posts.

Recently my Cisco modem gateway is dropping wireless to my laptop, I'm going to try an old router before I take it back for replacement.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If this is recent, have you considered the possibility that someone has set up a router near your home that is causing problems for your wireless network.  Have you checked out your wireless environment with inSSIDer, just to see who is around you and more importantly, what their power levels are at, in your own home.  Here's a link to the last freebie version available.  It has since gone to a pay version but now supports 802.11ac wireless.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

I Plan to Stick Around

Just got the CGN3 ... like most people I'm frustrated with the performance.
I was getting 60 mbps which was faster than my other modem but still had performance issues with wifi.
I followed the steps from Rogers to bridge my Belkin N and now I'm getting 8 mbps.
Forgot to check the firmware but could this be the problem? I just got it yesterday so assumed it would be up to date.
Any other settings I need to change with my Belkin? It worked fine before my last modem.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Looking at a Belkin N router manual, it indicates that the LAN ports are 10/100 Mb/s ports.  There is no indication of what the WAN  port is, but I suspect that it is the same.  In which case, you are running into a firmware bug in the CGN3 which throttles the download rates for directly connected devices where those devices are 10/100 Mb/s only.  You can confirm this by looking at the back of the CGN3 to determine what colour the port LED indicates.  If its yellow/orange, the interconnect rate with the device is 1 Gb/s and you should not have any issues with throttled download rates.  If the LED is green, the interconnect rate is 10/100 Mb/s and you will end up with throttled download rates.  That can be the result of either the device port that is connected or/and the ethernet cable that is used, as is might not support higher data rates as well.

The solution, until a bug fix is issued is to use a gigabit port equiped router, firewall, or switch between the CGN3 and the devices which are 10/100 Mb/s equiped.  If you take a read through some of the recent threads, you will see this is a definite issue at this time.

The firmware bug is present in both Gateway and Bridge mode.  As well, the front LED which indicates the connection rate, 10/100 Mb/s or Gb/s always indicates 10/100 Mb/s, yet another firmware bug to be resolved.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think Datalink like usuall, has beat me to it, and hit the nail on the head.

While your router, SHOULD be fast enough (10/100) for your package speed... the LINKING bug that is present, is what likely you are hitting.. where it is not connecting even properly at 10/100

Best LONG term solution.. as it will increase wireless range usually as a whole.. would be to upgrade your belkin to a better quality gigabit port router

I Plan to Stick Around

I expected the LED to be green .... but it is orange. (On the back of the CGN3 where I have the cable plugged in)

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2343198,00.asp

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm, ok, that is interesting.  What level of service are you on and what do you get for a wired speed test through the Belkin router to a pc or laptop?  If you are using any type of surge arrestor or surge protector, don't use it for the RG6 cable to the CGN3, or for the ethernet cable leaving the CGN3 as it will most likely drop your throughput rate.

Topic Stats