Bridge Mode Setup Guide

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Bridge Mode Setup Guide

The speed problems you are getting currently, are when you are WIRED into the CGN3, without the ASUS in the mix at all, correct?

Generally, yes the router shoudl be ok.  If you ever wanted to UP your package again, you would need to change.

Myself.. (due to network layout in my house), i DONT have my CGN3 bridged.. i leave it in gateway mode, and have a ASUS N66U wireless router, set up just as a wireless access point.

I am only on the 30/5 package, but have yet to have an issue speed wise.. always at the max (on multiple wired into it connections).

The ONLY thing, as mentioned above, which i could see as a PONTENTIAL issues.. is the bug (with the CGN3 itself) where it has issues with some 10/100 devices.

By chance, what is the make/model of the network card in your PC? (wondering if ITS 10/100)

I Plan to Stick Around

The card is the Realtek RTL8139/ 810x Fast Ethernet PCI but I've also tried 2 other desktops and my neighbour's laptop to no avail. Thanks to yourself I had read about RT Card issues with the Hitron. Last CAT tech said the only other option was to use the Hitron CGN2.

Maybe to be safe I'll try looking for a resonably priced 1/10/100 router. Seems ASUS is the the leader right now. Will either buy from Canada Comp, Tiger Direct or NCIX.

I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry. Haven't bought the router yet and the CGN3 is hard wired into the pc. Have tried all 4 ports.Techie replaced splitter (I had the identical splitter) and he said all the interior cable was top notch quality. He also replaced the connector on the cable into the home.

Frustrating as the SMC was working flawlessly.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That realtek card.. IS a 10/100... so its POSSIBLE thats where the issues are stemming from.
(while myself havent had the 10/100 link problem.. talked to many others on here who have... and have fixed it with replacing with say a gigabit switch inbetween (so the 10/100 link is with the swtich, then gigabit to the CGN3)), or similar).

If you are going to try (one way or the other) with a 3rd party router..  i would reccomend THIS one at minimum.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=1047&item_id=044938

A little towards the PRICER side.. but an INSANELY good router.  I currently have that one just as an access point.

There are others i have talked to on the 150+ rogers speed plans, using it in bridged, with that specific unit... no issues at all.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you. Yes it is a 10/100 Card but I've also tried 2 other desktops and a neighbour's laptop and the same result. I can justify spending an extra $50 because a product doesn't perform but $150 is way too much. At this point I'm retired and wife is planning the same soon so money/ budget is a concern. Thank you for your concern and help.

Not normally a critic but this upgrade couldn't have gone any worse- TV service mistakenly cancelled by Rogers for 2 days, first Next Box defective, strolled down to store to find Rogers Network down- total downtime for TV= 5 days. Internet slow, disconnects. To top it all off Billing has overcharged us by 17% for the next 2 months.

Always the optimist so I guess I could say it can only get better Smiley Happy

A sincere thank you for all your help and the sharing your knowledge.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While i dont use the wireless on the CGN3.. generaly for its ROUTING purposes.. i found it working fine.. on wired as well.

BUT.. everything but two things (the rogers security router, and a printer) are gigabit.. and are working flawlessly.

So i know the CGN3 works.. at least with gigabit Smiley Sad

I completey understand your concerns with the $$.
I was only sugesting it.. just due to, well experience.

I have been running for a year or two prior to the CGN3 (with my SMC) a linksys E2500 router.  Thats a probably $90 router.  Dual band N, 10/100 only.. but got still some decent ratings.

Switched to the CGN3.. the E2500 worked... but was never fully happy with the RANGE on it.
That spurred me to the N66U.

Ontop of the range, which did improve... i was suprised at the... PERFORMANCE difference.
The N66U and similar higher end ones.. are really almost like a mini computer in the router, moreso than your cheaper ones (i think the N66U has like a 800mhz processor or something in it).

Performance across wireless increased, but the 1g vs 10/100 helped alot... but even so in the wireless.
Right beside my wireless router, on wireless.. my laptop, on 2.4ghz, got usually about 90% of my promised rogers speeds (vs my wired desktop would pull OVER just fine.  Figured wireless.. it would happen.. thats fine.
Now, with the N66U installed... i can pull promised speeds, if not HIGHER than my dekstop ocassionaly, same laptop, etc.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you again Gdkitty. The search goes on LOL. I really do understand and appreciate you sharing your experiences with me. Will definitely begin to look around for a 1 GB Router. Found a couple that go for about $50-$60 so will spend a few days researching. Will buy from a reputable Vendors so a return is always possible if it doesn't work out. Agin thanks very much and enjoy the great weather.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No problem.. i work in IT, so i just like to share my knoledge where i can.

Yeah, while performance may slightly varry from one model to another.. at least a semi decent one, should help elivate some issues.
Going with a 1g router of some form, would eliminate the 10/100 linking issue completely.

(just make sure, it has 1g on the WAN port, as well as the LAN.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks again Gdkitty. Previously, on Fibre 60 with the Hitron CGN3 (hardwired), was getting 10 mbps upload and 10 download speeds. Went to CC and spoke at length with the "counter dude" as he wasn't busy.  Had already decided on the Intel EXP19301 GB CT Express Card. He was very curious as he had heard of the Hitron issue and offered to test my RTL8139 Card- tested out absolutely fine but he said Realtek cards are prolly the most problematic of all brands in regards to compatibilty.

Now getting 60 mbps download and 2.6 mbps upload. Still not perfect but much improved. Will research further in regards to NIC settings.

Thanks very much again. Now eyeballing a RTN-N56U.

Thanks very much once again as all your info here and in other threads (yes I had lurked before posting/ bugging anyone Smiley Happy) was my solution. Will post updates on speed and conectivity.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. the realtek ones have had some mixed issues.  I have had issues with some at work as well.. 
They generally may work FINE with one device, may not on the next.

MOST of the problem lies in the  CGN3 not linking properly..

But all and all, a gigabit card would be a worthwhile thing to have anyways Smiley Happy
Glad your getting pretty much the right speeds.

What type of network patch cable are you using? 5, 5e, 6?

Topic Stats