Bridge Mode Setup Guide

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Bridge Mode Setup Guide

Only mentioned.. as depending on your plan/promo.. some of the new ones, you potentially could get more speed, etc for the same price, etc.

But yeah, otherwise, just keep the CNG2 Smiley Happy

I've Been Here Awhile

To bridge CGN the instruction reads "While in bridged mode, only port one will be active on the gateway." How can I make all ports active as I need them all (4 ports)?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In bridged, you cant.

Only the one port is active.. making it essentially like a regular modem with only one.

its then designed to go into a ROUTER.  The router then, would have more ports out of it.

If your router then doesnt have enough wired ports.. you can buy a SWITCH.  Plug that into one of the wired ports on the router, then it will give you a bunch more.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi there,
I wanted to put my DPC 3825 modem to bridged mode but lost the Internet connection. I called Rogers techsup and asked them to restore the modem and put it to bridged modem remotely. They did and the connection was lost again. I talked to techsup again and they said I had to change the modem to see what is wrong. There is no problem in bridged mode if the PC is directly connected to the modem. I remember I used to have the same problem with Motorola modem when I used Teksavvy service. It was resolved somehow but appeared again after some time. Any ideas how to get bridged mode working and have external (standalone) router?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

After they (or you) switch the router into bridged mode..

Are you doing a FULL reset on the wireless router?  Sounds like its not locking into getting the info from the gateway.  Usually if you do a FULL reset on it, it will wipe everything.. but start clean and go looking for a new connection when it first starts up.  It should hopefully then find the gateway in bridged mode.
(you are pluging the router, into port 1?)

You would have to re-set all the wireless, security, etc again on the wireless router.

I've Been Around

Re: Bridge Mode Setup Guide - Linksys E4200 and QOS

CAUTION!   Just wanted to share this with anyone looking to use their Linksys instead of a Rogers modem.

I have a Cisco DPC3825.  I had been experiencing very poor upload speeds for quite some time. Always assumed it was something strange on Rogers' end, so never really wanted to deal with it. 

To make a long story short, through some help of Google and some great community forums, I found that the default QOS setting on the E4200 was my issue.

I went from getting 0.5Mbps upload to 4Mbps, and from 35 down up to 65 down.

Settings:

Applications & Gaming -> QoS -> Upstream bandwidth manual (i set it to 20 Mbps)

WMM Support = disabled.

Note that the slow speed were incurred whether I had the Cisco in Bridged mode or if I used my E4200 on a different subnet.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Bridge Mode Setup Guide - Linksys E4200 and QOS

It is amazing how the settings... or even the ROUTER can make a difference.

I am only on the 30/5 (previously the 25).. with an e2500.  Not the greatest router, but not bad.  Even on a 5ghz N connection, only ever got about 90% on speedtests on wireless... figured wireless.. expected.  There are no QoS settings, etc configurable on it.

Just switched to an ASUS N66U... no other configuration changes.
I am already getting as fast as a wired speed test now on wireless.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi everyone. Having problems with our connection. Had 35/ 3 but always only got 18/ 1 mbps. A few weeks ago a techie insatlled the SMC and speeds immediately went to 40/ 3 mbps.

Seeind as speeds were so great we decided to upgrade to Fibre 60. As soon as the new speed was activated we were getting 40-60/ 10 mbps.We were then told we had to replace the SMC with the Hitron CGN3. HUGE mistake as speeds went to:

Worst- 7 down and .7 up

Best- 12 down and 8 up

Rogers website this a.m. took:

first attempt= 60+ secs

subsequent attempts= after refreshing many times eventually website loaded- probably took about 3 mins.

Another website I use only took 2 secs to load this a.m.

We are looking to bypass the Hitron router via hardwire cable. We don't need anything fancy and were wondering if this riuter would be up to the task.

Asuus 300 RT-N12/D1 Wireless N Router.

Already confirmed with Asus that it would work with our present Network Card.

Thank you for any ajnd all help.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The CGN3 is needed for all 60+ plans now... mostly for the case, as that more and more people get on these higher packages.. will experience more CONGESTION of they kept the old modems.
These new ones, are 20+ channels assigned for downstream.. vs 4 (on the SMC) or 8 (on the others).
think of it like more lanes on a highway... less chance of getting traffic Smiley Happy

Onto the modem itself. 
How long ago did you get it?  less than 72 hours ago? 
Likely is not on the latest firmware..  the latest firmware has fixed ALOT of issues, and might help alot.  That firmware should be pushed within 72 hours.

(now, did the TECH install this modem? or you?  Bad signal to that modem can cause alot of speed issues as well)

As for adding the other router.
MORE than doable.., MANY people bridge mode their gateways, and use their own routers 100%.

As for the one listed there.
GENERALLY should work.  Its only a 10/100 on the wan and lan side... with the 60 package.. you SHOULD be ok..

(some people though, have had issues with SOME 10/100 devices not linking properly with the hitron.  I only have 1 10/100 connected to mine but seems to link ok.   10/100/1000 devices link without issue.)

I Plan to Stick Around

Received first Modem on May 24 and new one on May 27. Yes had checked and it had the latest firmware.

Signal is great as per the last techie that came here and the CAT ticket I have opened a few days ago. Had another CAT ticket open for 2? months but nothing really changed.

Just wanting to be proactive as this issue has been with us for the last year. Emailed ASUS and they said the Router should be fine.

Thank you so very much for responding so quickly. The info you provide for us here is very much appreciated.

What's New
UFC 231: Holloway vs. Ortega Live
LIVE: Saturday December 8, 2018 10PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of Dec 6 at 4pm ET.
UFC 231: Countdown Promo

UFC returns to Toronto on December 8th with a championship double-header as undisputed featherweight champion Max Holloway defends his title against unbeaten Brian Ortega. Also, a new UFC women's flyweight champion will be crowned when Valentina Shevchenko takes on former strawweight queen Joanna Jedrzejczyk for the vacant title. Saturday, December 8, live on Sportsnet Pay-Per-View from Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Canada.

Topic Stats