Bridge Mode Setup Guide

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Bridge Mode Setup Guide

Hello GDKitty and other forum users

So I have the hitron cgn2 as my isp modem and im not enjoying the experience at all. I'v decided to pick up a linksys ea4500 smart wifi router and use in bridge mode with the cgn2. When switched to bridge mode It shows connected to the router but not the internet however  I can connect to the internet through the router if gateway function is Enabled  but I want bridged for various reasons. Now im prettey techsavvy but I cant figure this out for the life of me......Please Help!!!

- Joey 

I've Been Around

Re: Help making a "Bridged Mode Setup Guide"

I have the cisco gateway in bridge mode......then goes to my dlink router (4 Ports) then goes to my dlink AP (another 4 ports).  then goes to 3 switches (4,4 ,8 ports)....... all ports in use.... 24 ports total

I Plan to Stick Around

Joeytrudeau,

And anyone else needing to know what to do with your chosen router after bridging the modem:

DICSLAIMER: working from memory... don't think I missed a step, happy to correct if you find something's wrong.

1. A. If you are locating your router in the same equipment room as the modem:

Plug a LAN cable from the [usually single] 'Internet' port on the router directly into port 1 of the modem.

- OR -

1 B. If you are locating your router elsewhere in the house (i.e. makes sense for the wireless signal to be located central to where your computers are):

Plug a LAN cable from the [usually single] 'Internet' port on the router into the wall outlet, then in the equipment room, trace that outlet's corresponding cable exiting the patch panel [you do have them labeled, right? Smiley Wink ], plugging it into port 1 of the modem.

2. By browser [on that connected computer], visit your router's default webpage address
Check the manual or Google your router model in quotes along with the quoted string "default ip address"
For the EA4500, it is 192.168.1.1, so visit http://192.168.1.1

You may need to use https:// instead of http://

There are commonly in 192.168.x.x. range or 10.0.x.x or occasionally a hostname like "speedtouch.lan"

You may also need to lookup the deafult login username and password

3. In this router interface, you must set at least some basic settings (under 'Setup' on EA series) :

A - The proper internet connection type for Rogers cable is DHCP

This is the method by which your router will obatin its single external public-facing IP address from Rogers.

All devices in your household, to the outside world, will be using the same IP address in 173.x.x.x 174.x.x.x or 99.x.x.x

B - A static IP address and subnet mask

To avoid hassle of having to change everything, check the network settings on any device which you were already using successfully while the modem was working as a router. Look for the 'gateway' or 'router' IP address and mask. The Cisco DPC3825 by default has the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0.  Now that you are using your own router as gateway/router, you want to use those same previous settings that the modem had to avoid having to adjust all your other equipment. [In bridge mode, the modems typically get a different address - the DPC3825: 192.168.100.1 for example, so there should be no problem using the modem's old address in the router].

C - Enable DHCP service.

This is the method by which your devices will obtain their individual IP addresses for use within your internal/private network. If your router is set at 192.168.0.1, your devices will all get IPs in 192.168.0.x range

D - Set the correct timezone

4. For security, consider changing some of the interface management settings (under 'Administration' on EA series):
A - Update to a password +/- username of your own choosing if you were not prompted to do so at first login, And record this in a safe place (in your paper manual beside the default login is a good spot)

B - Enforce the use of https:// only for accessing the web interface

C -  Disable access by wirelessly connected devices (so you can only view this router interface on a computer physically plugged into your network)

D - Disable remote management

5. After saving your changes, reboot the router (under 'Setup' on EA series) and test connectivity:
Most routers will have a reboot or restart button in the web interface. In a pinch, power off/on the device itself.
All of the settings you changed should be retained; this is not the same as a hard reset back to factory defaults.
Now this computer and any other wired in devices should have full network access using the router as their gateway.

6. Now set up your wireless networks, optional tweaks, and test connectivity
Log back into your router interface and configure your wireless SSID(s) as desired. Possibly needs a reboot before you then test connecting a wireless device. Also make any other initial tweaks as desired.

I Plan to Stick Around

Here are instructions with screenshots to set up a CGN3 modem with your own external router: http://www.manotick.net/CGN3/index.html

Convert Rogers CGN3 modem to Bridge Mode

Here are screenshots to show how to convert a CGN3 (Rogers Advanced DOCSIS 3 wireless modem) from Gateway mode to Bridge mode. By turning off the Wifi part of the CGN3, you can use it as a modem only and connect it to your own external Wifi router for greater wireless coverage range and stability.

Phone the Rogers toll-free number to activate your CGN3 now or later. (Only one modem can be activated on your account. You must return a rental modem before activating a new one.)

With everything powered off, connect the Rogers internet cable to the round coax connector on the back of the CGN3. Connect the supplied ethernet cable between the nearest port on the CGN3 and your computer. Plug in the CGN3 using the supplied power cord to turn it on.

Turn on your computer and run your web browser. Type this address into your browser address box: 192.168.0.1
Login as user "cusadmin" using password "password" (as instructed on the box). The CGN3 settings pages should appear as below if you connected everything correctly.

{screenshot 1}

Click on Wireless link at the top of the page to see the Wireless Basic Settings Settings and the 2.4GHz tab.
Under Basic Settings and beside Wireless Enabled, click on the OFF button.
Click on Apply at the bottom of the settings.
You should see the following confirmation that "your changes have been saved".

{screenshot 2}

Now click on the 5GHz tab and repeat the settings.
Under Basic Settings and beside Wireless Enabled, click on the OFF button.
Click on Apply at the bottom of the settings.
You should see the following confirmation that "your changes have been saved".

{screenshot 3}

Disable uPnP

(Sorry, I did not note where the setting is.)

{screenshot 4}

Click on Basic link at the top of page to see the Basic Settings.
Click on Gateway Function.
Beside Residential Gateway Function click on the Disabled button.
Confirm your choice. This is the last CGN3 setting you can make using this web page!

{screenshot 5}

You will see green text that says:
"success - your changes have been saved. modem will reboot. Please wait.."
Your CGN3 is now a modem only in Bridge Mode with no Wifi capability.
You can no longer connect to 192.168.0.1 via a web browser. Close the page.
Unplug your computer from the CGN3.

{screenshot 6}

Phone Rogers toll-free number to activate the CGN3 on your account if you did not do this earlier.

Connect the CGN3 ethernet cord to the WAN port on your external router.
Connect the router's power cord. The lights blinking on it for a minute or two.
Connect your devices to the router by ethernet cord or wireless as before.
No changes need to be made to your devices if your router previously worked with them.

If you want to return the CGN3 to it's original factory condition as a gateway with Wifi enabled, you must depress the RESET button on the back of the CGN3 and hold it for 5 to 10 seconds. You will once again be able to change the settings in a web browser using the address 192.168.0.1.

I'm Here A Lot

Re: Help making a "Bridged Mode Setup Guide"

Hi Devon, thank you for sharing!!!
What is the advantage to bridge a router. What are you bridging it to?
I Plan to Stick Around

After I set up the new Rogers modem (http://www.manotick.net/CGN3) I lost internet connection and had to power-cycle the modem about once a day (remember reading others had this problem). Then the problem vanished. Yay! Who knows why. Just in case others have this problem, wait a week or two before panicing.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@pdqweb

There is actually a BIG thread on this Smiley Happy

There was a firmware bug in the CGN3, where that was happening in bridged mode.. and something with a speed port issue as well.
Both of those appear to have been fixed with a firmware update.
Any existing ones, should now be updated to it I beleive by now..
Anyone NEW getting one of the units, it MIGHT be on an older version to start.. it should auto update to it after a few days from what others have said.

I've Been Here Awhile

I just have a quick question if anyone can help me out here.  I think I know the answer, but I'd just like a confirmation!

I'm planning to use my CGN2 in bridged mode but I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to going with the CGN3?  Am I correct in thinking that it would be pointless to upgrade in this scenario?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you are going to bridge it, NO, no advantage.

(unless you are going to swtich to one of the new plans, where it may be necessary to have that one)

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the quick response, that's what I figured.  It's good to know for certain though.  

My plan is still good so I'll just keep the CGN2 for now.  I actually used to have the CGN3 but switched to the CGN2 recently in hopes of fixing a wireless issue.  That didn't work out, so it looks like bridging is my best option now.

Thanks again.

What's New
UFC 231: Holloway vs. Ortega Live
LIVE: Saturday December 8, 2018 10PM ET
Countdown: 9:30 PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $64.99 (HD) | $59.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $64.99
Ignite TV customers can order now!
DTV Customers can order as of Dec 6 at 4pm ET.
UFC 231: Countdown Promo

UFC returns to Toronto on December 8th with a championship double-header as undisputed featherweight champion Max Holloway defends his title against unbeaten Brian Ortega. Also, a new UFC women's flyweight champion will be crowned when Valentina Shevchenko takes on former strawweight queen Joanna Jedrzejczyk for the vacant title. Saturday, December 8, live on Sportsnet Pay-Per-View from Scotiabank Arena in Toronto, Canada.

Topic Stats