Bridge Mode Setup Guide

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Help making a "Bridged Mode Setup Guide"

Hi Gdkitty,

Thank you for thinking of doing this write up.

I recently got the Hitron(don't remember the model, there used to be only one, but found out yesterday from Rogers that a new one is out now).

I have been using the Wireless in that in a 2200 sq ft home and the signal strength is a little less sometimes than my ASUS NT-13U router. I connected my computer to the old router as I have an external drive connected to it.

Initially the speedtest.net speeds over Hitron wifi were better, but off late I am noticing my ASUS router beats it handily in Download speeds, but uploads speeds are better on the Hitron. I have an express and get 16 mbps down and 1 mbps on my Asus while 5/2 on the Hitron.

So that begs the question, does putting the Hitron help data to pass smothly from Hitron to my wifi router. What if I just disable the Wifi in Hitron by not transmitting the signal, is it same as putting it in bridged mode. And finally, can we go back to disabling the bridged mode on the Hitron once we enable it ?

I Plan to Stick Around

Another question, in bridged mode, can I still use the ethernet ports on the Hitron to connect to other devices apart from the my own Router. I have some voip hardware that needs internet, so wanted to connect them to Hitron instead of my router.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes and no.
While I have not done myself, others have said the hitrons other wired ports will act just like a switch.

I've Been Around

Can I bridge the Cisco DPC3825 DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway Router from rogers?

Or should i call rogers and have them do it?

Thanx in advance

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes you can.

Havent posted the guide.. as i havent got full instructions from other modem owners yet Smiley Tongue

But inside it, on one of the sections, should be something that says "disable all commercial gateway functions" or something similar.

you will want to go in there.. and click apply.  While its rebooting, unplug all from it, other than the router you want to connect to it.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi all. Excellent forum. Sorry if this is hijacking the thread but it seems to be the most relevant. I have the CGN2 and put it into bridge mode with an external router about a month ago with no problems. I now have another router that I want to try but setting it up has proven difficult. It doesn't seem to be getting a new ip address from Rogers and ttherefore won't connect to the internet. If I simply switch out the new one with the old one, the old one connects to the internet no problem. If I plug a computer directly in to a lan port on the CGN2 I can't get internet that way either. Obviously the problem rests with DHCP settings in the router somehow. I'm pretty sure I could get the new router working by resetting the CGN2 and then bridging it again and adding the new router that way but I'm hoping someone could point out how to fix it without going that route. I'd really like to understand if it's not too complicated. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I dont really think there IS a way to do it, without reseting and re bridging.

Currently, with it in bridged.. a modem period (weither the gateway bridged or a regular modem), will lock into the mac address of the first device plugged into it, after its reset.
This is likely what has happened.

Bar going in, and getting the mac address of your old router, and doing mac address cloning on the new one, etc...

Its just as easy to reset the gateway, and re-force it into bridged, and then when the new one connects to it for the first time, will lock onto that one.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

LQQKR,

I just got one of the CISCO DPC 3825's as well.   If you haven't found the location to put into bridge mode, here it is:

It's under Administration, Management, Working mode:   Change Router Mode to Bridged mode in drop-down menu.

I've Been Here Awhile

Gdkitty, thanks for the reply. I'll reset the CGN2. Rogers set it up for me the first time so I'm a little nervous about resetting it myself. Could you point me in the direction of a step-by-step for after I reset it? (I searched the forums but couldn't find one.) Failing that could you at least tell me what info you think I would need to set it up again? I'm really worried about having to troubleshoot without being able to get online to search for answers. Thanks again.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hoding the reset on it, should reset the unit back to factory defaults.

From there, you should be in gateway mode, and should be able to log into it, and then reset it to bridged mode.
(the specifics on how/where.. i am not positive.. as i dont have that unit).

If you are stuck on this.. you can call rogers, and they can do it over the phone for you.

When they do the reset.. make sure that EVERYTHING is unpluged from the gateway.

I would do the same hard reset on your new router.. make sure its a blank slate as well.

Know what the default login address is for it (from the manual, etc) like 192.168.0.1 and the login/password.

Then plug that one in, and it SHOULD be the first thing it picks up, and assigns its address to, etc.

Then login to the new router, and set it all up.

Beyond that.. always remember you can do the hard reset on the gateway, and get it back into gateway mode, to get internet access.

Topic Stats