Bridge Mode Setup Guide

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RogersGabrielle
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Bridge Mode Setup Guide

Good Afternoon @bbajovic,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

Perhaps one of our resident experts @Gdkitty or @Datalink can confirm this for you.

Regards,

@RogersGabrielle

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Possibly.

When you put it in bridge mode, all that happens is that the rogers modem will assign the EXTERNAL IP address to whatever device/router you plug into.

When you plug it into  your 3rd party routers  WAN port, it will then assign your external IP address to the WAN side of your router.

From there, its whatever settings your your router has.  IF its setup for 192.168.0.1 as your internal, your good to go.

asdfasdfasdf33d
I've Been Here Awhile

hello all, i have some question about bridge mode Hitron GCN2 I've set it to bridge mode about 2 years ago, and I really cannot remember if I turned off wifi or not before i change it. Since then I've been away from home for a year and recently got home and noticed the wifi light is blinking, should I be worried? I was under the assumption bridge mode disable all routing function and wifi function, or could wifi still be working under bridge mode?
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I wonder if the modem has seen a power failure or someone has reset it, and as a result it has come back up in Gateway mode instead of Bridge mode?  That might explain why the wifi might be up and running.  You should check the modem and see if you can log into it.  In Bridge mode that shouldn't be possible.  In Gateway mode it would be possible.  You would have to connect to it directly via ethernet or wifi.  The default wifi parameters can be found at the back of the modem.  If the wifi is up and running on its default parameters you would be able to detect the network with your laptop and log into the modem by going to 192.168.0.1 and using cusadmin and password as the login credentials.  If the login page comes up, but you can't access the modem, run a factory reset by depressing the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for thirty seconds and then releasing it.  After the reboot, log into the modem and change the modem's passwork immediately to prevent anyone from accessing it via wifi.  To return the modem to Bridge mode, navigate to STATUS..... CAPABILITY page and disable the Residential Gateway Function.  Hit Apply and reboot the modem using the Reboot function located in the WAN/LAN Backup page.

If you load inSSIDer onto a laptop, you will be able to see if the modem wifi might be up and running.  It would be the highest powered network on the display.  If you unplugged the modem, you would see the network slowly drop in power level on the display and then disappear.  That would confirm that yes indeed, it was up and running.  Here's a link to the last freebie version of inSSIDer.  There is a new pay version out now that can display the 802.11ac networks in the 5 Ghz band.  If you use 5 Ghz networks, for $20, its worth having it around.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

asdfasdfasdf33d
I've Been Here Awhile

thanks for the suggestion, but I think it is still in bridge mode because in my own router's WAN port the ip is Rogers assigned IP instead of the usual 192.168.x.x ones.  Also when I run trace route to external site the hop after my router's IP is already Roger's network IP.  Things seem to indicate it's in bridge mode...

I did download some signal strength testing app on my phone and place it on the modem, no ssid seems to suddenly increase in strength so at least there's that. 

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its still a bit strange that you would see the wifi LED lit.  Thats the first complaint of its type for the CGN2 that I've seen on the forum, but, I haven't done a search for any others.  It wouldn't take much to run a reset and then kick it back into Bridge mode if and when you have time on your hands and nothing else to do but experiment with it 🙂

14N
I Plan to Stick Around

I exchanged my modem with the CODA but when in bridge mode my router cannot get an IP from Roger's DHCP server thus no internet connection. My router was working fine with the previous modem in bridge mode.

There are few of us who have this issue and no one can help us. My router is TP-Link Archer AC2600.

I did all the suggestions in another topic but still the same.

Anyone can help?

Thanks

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

How is the router set up? wondering if its still looking for something on the old modem.. (like its locked to the mac address).

My first thing, though a pain.. would be to factory reset the TP-link

14N
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

How is the router set up? wondering if its still looking for something on the old modem.. (like its locked to the mac address).

My first thing, though a pain.. would be to factory reset the TP-link

did factory reset on both my router (archer C2600) and modem, still the same issue when bridge mode

spigirl
I Plan to Stick Around

I currently have the Hitron modem set to bridge mode (wireless off).  The modem is connected in the basement, and we also have cat5 throughout the house.

Our router is set up on the top floor of the house.  It is connected to the network via the cat5 cable, and it provides us with our wifi signal.

Does anyone see any issues with setting it up this way?  In the past, I've had the router in the basement, connected directly to the modem.  However, due to issues with someone in the house messing with the router, I have had to place it elsewhere.

Just wondering if this will effect anything negatively.

Thanks!