Bridge Mode Setup Guide

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Bridge Mode Setup Guide

@Datalink

Alright, thank you. I'll be in contact if I have any questions.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I added a couple of comments to my previous post.  Please have a look at the bottom portion of the post.  

This should be pretty straight forward.  Flip the modem into Bridge mode, connect the router and run a Factory Reset on the router.  The Factory Reset can be a pain, but, if you're coming from another ISP, the router will usually have settings for the previous ISP's network.  So, the Factory Reset is usually the easiest way of avoiding problems due to old settings.   

Edit:  From what I remember of the R7000 firmware, from reading the user manual long ago, there is no setting to enable or disable Hardware Acceleration.  That is Broadcom's Cut Through Forwarding (CTF) and Flow Acceleration (FA).  CTF must be enabled to run at rates higher than 100 Mb/s.  Essentially its external port to internal port forwarding with little or no involvement from the routers CPU.  CTF is not compatible with functions such as QOS, Traffic Monitoring and a few other items which cause traffic to route thru the CPU for further processing.  So, you have to be careful if and when you select any functions on the router.  You lose that fast path from external to internal ports and you suffer a hit on the throughput due to the processing that the CPU has to accomplish for the selected function.  Asus Routers have an enable/disable checkbox for CTF, titled Hardware acceleration, and you can check this to ensure that some function selection hasn't kicked CTF off.  You can't do that with the Netgear routers unless there has been a change in the firmware that I'm not aware of.  You simply have to know that CTF is either on of off when it comes to Netgear routers.  Thats a rather interesting approach to say the least.  Here's a link to CTF info:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/broadcoms-hardware-acceleration.18144/

The other issue with Netgear routers is the filtering of IPV6 ICMP.  Thats problematic as IPV6 uses ICMP.  That has been an ongoing issue for a while now and I don't know if Netgear has finally decided to bite the bullet and join the rest of the world when it comes to IPV6 ICMP.  Rogers uses Native IPV6, so, if you decide to set up the router to use IPV6, keep the ICMP issue in mind.  If IPV6 use is unreliable, I would suspect the filtering issue is the cause. 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

How to optimize your 3rd party router with Rogers Hitron CNG3

Hello Everyone,

I have been browsing the forums and have been getting mixed information on how to properly setup a 3rd party router using rogers new modem (white tower/500mb+).

My current situation is that I have properly set up the modem into Bridged mode by disabling the gateway function.

Now before doing so, I went ahead and did a speed test on the wifi and on my current phone I was achieving 50mb download speed, once I set it into bridge currently connected to my router, my wifi speeds seem to of dropped.

The router that was gifted to me was the D-Link Ac3200 Triband

http://ca.dlink.com/products/connect/wireless-ac3200-tri-band-gigabit-router/

As you can tell, I really want to make sure its optimized fully so it doesn't seem like a waste.

Now at the moment I have the ethernet cord connected to the wan port (the very top one), I read that it shouldn't be in that port but also hear otherwise. From there the other end of the ethernet cord is connected to the routers "internet" slot.

I booted up my computer and logged into http://192.168.0.1/info/Login.html , which is no longer rogers and is now the D-link, the only thing I did there was setup the wifi to it, nothing else, no ip changes or anyhting like that.

The wired connection to my computer shows what is advertised in speed, but the wifi isnt. Just would like someone kind enough to guide me in setting it up to optimize the modem to router relationship. I am not very tech savvy and would need as much details as possible.

Thank you in advance for any information on how to get this set up properly.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

For IPv6 is it SLAAC/DHCPv6

or is it a static IPV6 with a specific prefix length?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@zenyyo perhaps this post by @RogersDave will help with your IPV6 configuration.  Rogers runs Native IPV6:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-IPv6-Status/m-p/373238#M36710

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I recently purchased a router and put my Rogers Hitron modem in  bridge mode.  I forgot to turn off the wifi while I was there.  Now I can't log back in.  When I enter 198.168.100.1 the page doesn't load.  Can you tell me how I get back into the modem settings to turn the wifi off?  Thank you. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RobHud the correct login addresses for the Hitron modems are:

1.  For Gateway mode (default mode):  192.168.0.1

2.  For Bridge mode:  192.168.100.1

Note that when you switch the Hitron modems to Bridge mode, that disables the wifi automatically.  It also disables the firewall, DHCP server and any other routine router features that are available in Gateway mode.  

Also note that when the Hitron modems are in Bridge mode, you can actually connect two devices to the modem, which could be routers or any other ethernet connected device.  They will end up with independent IPV4 and IPV6 addresses.  If in fact they were routers, then those routers would be running independent networks, with no crossover  between those networks.  Since the modem firewall is disabled when the modem is in Bridge mode, any device that is connected to the modem (when the modem is running in Bridge mode) will be wide open to the internet and must have their own firewall capability to protect themselves from all of the miscreants out there on the net. 

With the modem in Bridge mode and a router behind it, you can use 192.168.100.1 to access the modems log in page.  You can normally do that with a pc connected to the router, so you don't have to connect a pc to the modem to login to it in order to change operating modes.  With some routers, you have to create a path from the LAN side to the WAN side, but, that appears to be pretty rare.  This is usually a simple task when the network is up and running.  Once you're logged in, reenabling the BASIC .... Residential Gateway Function and saving the changes will result in the modem switching back to Gateway mode with its previous settings intact.  If you run a factory reset using the recessed reset button at the back of the modem, when the modem is in Bridge mode, that will return the modem to its default Gateway mode, at which point you would have to reset all of the settings.  So, switching the modem back to Gateway mode by reenabling the Residential Gateway Function is the easier of the two options. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you very much. Is there a reason I would still the my previous Wifi networks associated with the Roger's modem if the wifi on it automatically turns off when in bridge mode? When I try to access 192.168.100.1 the page doesn't load.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you reread my post above as I made some minor changes to it. 

I'm trying to make sense of the following sentance: "Is there a reason I would still the my previous Wifi networks associated with the Roger's modem if the wifi on it automatically turns off when in bridge mode?"

When you kick the modem over to Bridge mode and the wifi is disabled, and then start the router with the same network name and passphrase, the connected devices might not change over automatically to the router as they might be looking for the modem as a host device for the network.  Restart the wifi device to see if it connects to the router.  If not, forget the network in the particular device and then connect the device to the router.

Do you have a black Hitron CGN3xxxx modem as seen by the modem sticker at the back of the modem, or a white CODA-4582 modem, which is the only white modem in use by Rogers?

With the 4582 modem, after a few days, you can have problems accessing the login page.  That's due to firmware version 7.x.  The way around that is to pull the power from the modem, wait for 10 to 15 seconds and then plug it back in again.  After the modem reboots, you should be able to access the modem thru 192.168.100.1.  Now, if you've been restarting the modem recently, you should be able to access 192.168.100.1 using a pc which is connected to the router. 

What router did you buy?

Edit:  thinking aloud here, you would want to ensure that the DHCP range in the router doesn't overlap with 192.168.100.1.   If that is the case, then the router wouldn't know what to do.  I suspect that it would look for a LAN device with the 192.168.100.1 IP address as a local address, instead of looking upstream to the modem. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I do have the white Hitron modem. Worth if i was confusing. What I meant was the 2 wifi networks (2.4 and 5G) that I had named with my Roger's modem are still showing as available networks. I purchased a Archer 5400 CX ( go big or go home right? Lol) I set it up and renamed the 2.4 and 2x 5G networks associated with that router. I guess in my mind I thought once I put the Roger's modem in bridge mode those networks would no longer be visible