Bridge Mode Setup Guide

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Bridge Mode Setup Guide

Wow..thank you for all that.  I did try a cable swap using the short ethernet cable that came with the modem which I presume would be up to spec. 

I will have to get ahold of a laptop from work that I can run the wired test with.  My laptop here is a macbook air with no ethernet port. 

The airport extreme I believe is the 2011 model.  There is a wiki page for airport extremes.  Will follow up asap!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you wanted to connect the Macbook Air via ethernet, you could probably use a gigabit USB 3.0 ethernet adapter.  We have a couple of these around the house for occasions when I want to run the Acer on a wired connection:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=96&item_id=056527

Of course drivers are always a question.  Here's the support page for the drivers:

http://www.startech.com/Networking-IO/Adapter-Cards/USB-3-to-Gigabit-Ethernet-NIC-Network-Adapter~US...

Not sure if that would work with the Macbook Air or not.

On a windows laptop it actually works pretty well, but as I indicated, the Acer won't go beyond 200ish Mb/s, which isn't bad for a small laptop.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@Datalink wrote:

If you wanted to connect the Macbook Air via ethernet, you could probably use a gigabit USB 3.0 ethernet adapter.  

Or a Thunderbolt Gigabit Ethernet adapter, assuming it's a new enough MacBook Air that it has Thunderbolt (but if it isn't - it won't have USB 3.0 either).

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Help making a "Bridged Mode Setup Guide"

Out of curiosity, what protocol is used between the router's WAN port and the CGN3?  Does the router send a DHCPRequest?  I presume it needs to get a public IP, DNS server address(es) etc. from the head end.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Help making a "Bridged Mode Setup Guide"

Have a look at the following Wikipedia page.  Hopefully that will answer your query:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Gdkitty, I found your thread and I am looking for help. I have just obtained a new Hitron modem/router from Rogers. I would like to continue to use my Apple Time Capsule as my wireless router. Can you tell me how to go about setting this up? Currently, I am using the Rogers modem as my wireless router but I would like to switch to using my TC instead.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

its the CGN3ACSMR?

Not 100% sure if its the same as the regular CGN3.  Hopefully someone else can confirm.

Log into the modem. (cusadmin/password  or whatever you changed the password to if you have)

Go to the BASIC tab.
Here you will have to wait like 5+ mins, till it loads the FULL client table below, before you can move tabs 😞
Once the table has loaded, go into the GATEWAY sub tab.
In there, should be the option to turn off the commercial gateway functions.

It will then reboot the modem, and then be in MODEM mode. 
Make sure at this time you are DISCONECTED from the modem, as it will latch onto the first device into it.. which should then be your ROUTER you are using in bridge mode.

Highlighted

@Gdkitty -  I can confirm it's similar to CGN3, below is the screenshot from CGN3ACSMR model.

Bridge.PNG

Cheers,

RogersMoin

P.S: To my understanding with CGN3ACSMR model, when you go to the Basic Tab, the connected devices will not load automatically anymore unless you click on the "Show" button. I believe this was the improvement over CGN3 model, so you don't have to wait until all connected devices are listed to move to another tab.

Perhaps @Datalink can confirm if this is true.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Just an observation about Bridge mode on the CGN3.    As Rogers have seen fit to turn off the IPV6 configuration pages** on the Hitron, those few of us who use Rogers 6RD service have to use bridge mode to use it.  I have not found a router than can access the 6RD stuff via the CGN3 in Gateway mode.

** According to the Hitron web site the CGN3 can do all the IPV6 modes, native, tunneled  and 6RD.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I am on CGN3ACSMR modem. I presume bridging instructions are the same for the ones described here. I have a question before I decide to go ahead and bridge it. In my network setup I have assigned DHCP Reservation for local IP for multiple devices and NAS, so they do not change and I am wondering will it change once I bridge my Rogers modem/router? My understanding is that once I attach new router to replace gateway of Rogers modem it will be automatically assigned IP 192.168.0.1? Am I correct? From there I would be able ro re-assign permanent locla IPs for my devices?

Thanks for help!