Bricked Modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Bricked Modem

Interesting to hear that alot of people are having their modems bricked. Now, what exactly caused these modems to be bricked? What was in that update that they pushed out that bricked these modems? I do hope to hear some clarification in the coming days as we are left without some information.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

At this point, no official statement has been made, we aren't sure. All we DO know is that this firmware bricked basically 5 models of modems. As to why some modems are affected and others are not? We still don't know. I'm guessing they've pulled the update since they're issuing GCN3 modems now, or those modems aren't going to have an issue. At this point unless you get a hold of a Rogers senior technician or perhaps System Admin? we wouldn't know the full story.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I started this post to help others and see just how many people were effected by this firmware update. I figured it was wide spread and the Rogers tech desk were no help at all.

I think a tech desk should have proper qualified peeople on the line to answer questions and give you a proper picture of what is happening. 

I was lucky today as I did manage to get a new modem as the 2nd store I went to just got their shipment in. 

I still have yet to get a call back from Rogers about the issue. I asked tech yesterday morning if they pushed an update out overnight and she said no.... I think she just didn't know. 

For one of the largest telecommunications companies in Canada they really messed up and have yet to release a press statement or inform the public about what has happened and what they are doing to fix and prevent it from happening again. 

Shame on Rogers. 

Hope eveyone effected gets taken care of in the next couple of days. 

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

No official or unofficial statements at all. No updates were scheduled as far as I am aware of. Hitron, Rogers and Networking engineers were involved in the investigation.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

These things happen, ASUS bricked their M32CD computers as well with a BIOS update. Still this problem is annoying but it could be worse. Luckily I don't update my BIOS often (and it really doesn't need to be). Imagine having your computer for 6 months and a BIOS updating bricking the motherboard... And then ASUS telling you "3-4 weeks mail in" process.

Still doesn't excuse the fact there isn't any official statement but hey it could be worse.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

@DjDATZ Looks like it's been bricked too. The only option now is to go to a corporate ROGERS store and not an authorized retailer (most of those have no more stock). Which area do you live in? I would try calling some of the rogers corporate store locations as they will have most stock. As @Bilko mentioned you can try to ask them to put your gf's mobile account on unlimited data, etc and use her phone as a hotspot to tether while new modems come in. Hope everything works out

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

My new (replacement) CGN3 is running v4.2.4.7

If it was a" forced " firmware update the bricked my previous modem, I hope that has been rectified as I read a newly installed modem will update to the latest firmware on its own  after 24hrs to 72 hrs . Im hoping Rogers would have to pull the switch and its not automatic, or am I overthinking this (:

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I doubt they have an unlimited data SOC for mobile devices anymore. An old SOC exists though

@BilkoI hope they pulled it, this is the FIRST rule of software troubleshooting. If you have a MASSIVE influx of bricked modems and you JUST released a firmware update, step 1 is to roll back that update until you can figure out what the heck actually went wrong.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There is no confirmation that it was a firmware update that caused this. It could've been a change in the back end and CMTS that caused this issue. Also since CGN and CODA were bricked I doubt it was a firmware update. Rogers has a lot of network changes going on right now, DOCSIS 3.1 being deployed, IPTV (X1 Platform) launching next year, perhaps there was an incompatibility with the Hitron Modems.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Interesting, I forgot about CODA being bricked as well.