Bricked Modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Bricked Modem

@two4leafs
Thx...its been a while so ...out of the wrapper...power up...connect cable...cat6 to pc...then allow it to cycle up...then go in browser 192...and do wifi passwords??
I've Been Here Awhile

@Bilko. Yup you got it! 🙂
I've Been Here Awhile

Glad some of you were able to get modems. The stores near me don't open till 10am so I couldnt leave work.

After driving around nad multiple calls it seems out of stock in most of southern ontario. They even offered to switch to the rocket modem but that was also out of stock in Peel and Halton.

After lots of back and forth, I was able to at least get my data cap bumped up at no cost till this is resolved.

Rogers, for a technology and communication company you fail terribly at both.

Own your mistakes, put a statement out. You're quite easily the most hated company in Canada.

I Plan to Stick Around

Well, these are Linux based cable modems, what bothers me is how they can butcher Linux with such sluggish Web UI... I didn't get hit by the bad firmware update.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I wish I could jsut get a L3 circuit and use my own device and call it a day.

I'm Here A Lot

Hi all,

Looking for some help with my gf's modem. It's a Hitron CGN3, and it would seem that the modem is not responsive to any connections.

She's tried connecting to it via wifi and the connection just fails, despite already having the passphrase saved on her phone, Mac book and parent's phones. She tried connecting to the modem with an ethernet cable, and no dice there either as the modem isn't giving her a usable DHCP address so she can even access it.

She's tried rebooting the modem multiple times, along with rebooting her devices as well. She also tried calling Rogers support but they were of no use. They suggested going to get it replaced at a store, but when she called around, all of the stores are out of them due to the fact that these modems are apparently error prone so they're getting replaced frequently. (Store's words, not ours)

The modem itself has only a power indicator (front), LAN connection indicators (on each of the ports on the back), no buttons and no other indicators. (IMO, stupid design, you can't tell from looking at the modem if it's even connected to the internet, or if the wifi is even active...)

Any suggestions on things she could try? I won't be able to make it out there until Friday to do some digging myself.

Thanks in advance,

D

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DjDATZ if all you see is top power LED on the front of the modem, and you have tried a restart by unplugging and plugging the power cable back into the power socket, then the modem is bricked.  Its not a matter of the modem being error prone, Rogers appears to have started an update of some type last night and the end result was a great number of bricked modems.  So, you will have to find a local Rogers store that has modems in stock so that you can swap the modem.  

The CGN3 modem LEDs can be seen on page 19 and 20 of the following document.

https://www.midco.com/contentassets/87322b7ed6b04cabb102fe22607bc4d1/hitron-modem-user-guide-cgn3-re...

I Plan to Stick Around

I was lucky enough to get a new one when they opened the doors at 1000am today and all is back to normal.
Dont waste your time on tech support they wont be able to help you.(unless they will bring you a modem) Call local Rogers stores and try and swap it out for a new one or at least get your name on a waiting list...
If your lucky enough to have your cell phone with rogers (tell them u want unlimited temporarily ) or you have a good data plan...use your phone as a 4G hotspot for your wi fi. If its going to be a week or so to replace modem and you dont have wi fi on your pc get a usb wifi adapter . Imho
I'm Here A Lot

I'm over in Brampton. It was a HUGE pain in the rear end to get this issue resolved. Thank god I wasn't at the university. I went to one store and they didn't have it in stock, the guy who came in before me was redirected to another store as well, I called another 3 stores none of them had it in stock. Finally I got to a store which had the CGN3 in stock and at the same time another guy was also ahead of me in line with a modem (older modem, white one, did not look like the SMC from years ago though, probably a different brand) and he had the same issue. We were both able to get the GCN3 modem but man oh man was this a big mess up.

I would not be surprised if the GTA ran out of modems by tonight. At least 4 stores in my immediate vincinity were completed out of stock, they were giving out the Gigabit modems, and even THOSE were out of stock.

Something like 300 000 modems affected? Someone want to verify that number perhaps? If it's 300 000+ then that's a pretty large amount of people affected.

Our service went down around Sunday, although I've heard some people having issues on Friday night, on the bright side, my Nextbox 3.0 no longer phantom records.

I'm Here A Lot

Had a CODA-4582 (.19), it bricked mid-morning dump / news session around 6:30am.

DM'd RogersHelp on Twitter, they said I should swap it.

Called my closest store, they were out, called the second closest, and was able to have them hold one for me for a few hours. Got there, and though the rep didn't know that the CODA was impacted, I explained the power only light and he swapped it in a few minutes.

Got home, verified connection / firmware (.13), bridged it, and called it a day. My poor daughter was without internet on her PD day. LOL She found other things to do.

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats